Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Mammoth - It's What's for Dinner

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• chief wrote:

Never made past the first step. I lost all interest in OA and Scouting in general when I got a girlfriend.
      During the past couple of years, assisted several Scouts in finishing their Eagle service projects...more like booting their posteriors into gear. All did so, but within days of turning 18. All confessed the 3Gs sidetracked them...girls, gasoline, and games.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

chief wrote:

Never made past the first step. I lost all interest in OA and Scouting in general when I got a girlfriend.
      During the past couple of years, assisted several Scouts in finishing their Eagle service projects...more like booting their posteriors into gear. All did so, but within days of turning 18. All confessed the 3Gs sidetracked them...girls, gasoline, and games.
      wow 18! late bloomers huh?
    • chief wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

chief wrote:

wow 18! late bloomers huh?
      Sadly, yes.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Just hot dogs cooked over an open flame, rest of the time I used a cookset like the old aluminum ones you could buy from a Scout store. My dad gave me a metal canteen with metal cup, no idea what happened to it, which was good for boiling a small amount of water out of the canteen for making soup or coffee. By the time i was done eating the soup or drinking the coffee, it was cold enough to put back in the canteen belt/holder.
      I used to carry such a canteen and was the envy of those watching it used to heat water for tea or soup.Unfortunately during one of the more fortunate days of my life, it was twice perforated. I've since regretted tossing it as it would make a great paperweight.

TrafficJam wrote:

I would love to carry raw meat in winter and cook it over a fire but given my track record with making fires in cold weather. I would probably starve.
      you could resort to steak tartare.
      With tartar sauce?
      Steak Tartare is hand chopped (NO LAZY MACHINES ALLOWED) mixed with minced shallot, chives, capers, dijon mustard, lemon, salt, pepper and topped with a raw egg yolk. The acid in the lemon should (IN THEORY) kill any pathogens in the meat and egg.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Just hot dogs cooked over an open flame, rest of the time I used a cookset like the old aluminum ones you could buy from a Scout store. My dad gave me a metal canteen with metal cup, no idea what happened to it, which was good for boiling a small amount of water out of the canteen for making soup or coffee. By the time i was done eating the soup or drinking the coffee, it was cold enough to put back in the canteen belt/holder.
      I used to carry such a canteen and was the envy of those watching it used to heat water for tea or soup.Unfortunately during one of the more fortunate days of my life, it was twice perforated. I've since regretted tossing it as it would make a great paperweight.

TrafficJam wrote:

I would love to carry raw meat in winter and cook it over a fire but given my track record with making fires in cold weather. I would probably starve.
      With tartar sauce?
      Steak Tartare is hand chopped (NO LAZY MACHINES ALLOWED) mixed with minced shallot, chives, capers, dijon mustard, lemon, salt, pepper and topped with a raw egg yolk. The acid in the lemon should (IN THEORY) kill any pathogens in the meat and egg.
      So it's steak cheviche?
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

With tartar sauce?
      So it's steak cheviche?
      No. The marinade isn't on the meat long enough to chemically change the meat which is what happens with ceviche. The lime juice both helps kill bacteria by dropping the ph level and "cooks" the seafood by being in contact with the protein for a few hours.

The number one goal of making steak tartare is to make sure the tartare no longer tastes like beef. It should taste like capers, shallot, dijon and lemon.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

With tartar sauce?
      I personally don't care for tartare, me mum served it at a few party's. Next time we get a good cut of beef I'm gonna try to make some carpaccio...never had it before.

Okay I reread your post, I've had it with ground beef, Yuck! But hand chopped sounds better.
    • mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

With tartar sauce?
      I personally don't care for tartare, me mum served it at a few party's. Next time we get a good cut of beef I'm gonna try to make some carpaccio...never had it before.
      Okay I reread your post, I've had it with ground beef, Yuck! But hand chopped sounds better.
      Tartare should never see a machine of any kind. A knife and maybe a mortar and pestle if you are going real fine
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I've never eaten raw beef, and never put tartar sauce on anything except fish. I doubt lemon juice would kill parasites.
      lemon juice has a lower ph level then vinegar.
      That is good for stopping bacterial growth, but what about parasites?
      Jump in a vat of lemon juice and see what happens. Most parasites can deal with hydrochloric acid but would have no protection from lemon juice. Lemon juice is often used as a natural parasite cleanser in pets and people.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • mental note wrote:

although I do like Lox.
      Easy Easy

1-1/2 cups sugar
      1 cup kosher salt

Optional
      Zest of a lemon, lime and orange + juice of the lemon and lime. Combine with salt and sugar

Cover salmon top and bottom and wrap in plastic wrap. Throw in refrigerator for 48 hours. Rinse and slice. You can make it with skinless salmon or skin-on salmon. I've seen recipes that call for weighing the salmon down to make it firmer but I like the softer texture.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • JimBlue wrote:

Still not eating raw meat
      Back when I worked in a restaurant I used to be responsible for grinding the beef scraps into burger. There was one waiter that would always grab loose pieces of the unground meat out of the bucket I was working with and eat them.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Back when I worked in a restaurant I used to be responsible for grinding the beef scraps into burger. There was one waiter that would always grab loose pieces of the unground meat out of the bucket I was working with and eat them.
      That's just gross.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Tartare is rarely made with scraps. The preferred cut is filet mignon
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I know, this guy just had a screw that was slightly loose.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Rasty wrote:

mental note wrote:

although I do like Lox.
      Easy Easy
      1-1/2 cups sugar
      1 cup kosher salt

Optional
      Zest of a lemon, lime and orange + juice of the lemon and lime. Combine with salt and sugar

Cover salmon top and bottom and wrap in plastic wrap. Throw in refrigerator for 48 hours. Rinse and slice. You can make it with skinless salmon or skin-on salmon. I've seen recipes that call for weighing the salmon down to make it firmer but I like the softer texture.
      Cool, now that I'm gonna try!
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Most in F&B do
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Most in F&B do
      I never should have worked in that cafeteria!
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I've never eaten raw beef, and never put tartar sauce on anything except fish. I doubt lemon juice would kill parasites.
      lemon juice has a lower ph level then vinegar.
      That is good for stopping bacterial growth, but what about parasites?
      Jump in a vat of lemon juice and see what happens. Most parasites can deal with hydrochloric acid but would have no protection from lemon juice. Lemon juice is often used as a natural parasite cleanser in pets and people.
      Am I okay with chasing a shot of tequila with it?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Rasty wrote:

mental note wrote:

although I do like Lox.
      Easy Easy
      1-1/2 cups sugar
      1 cup kosher salt

Optional

Rinse and slice.... and put on fish hook, cast, and wait for catfish to bite...knock down a six-pack while waiting all night.
    • I would assume that most of the health hazard with raw meat comes from bacterial contamination that comes from the gut. A solid chunk of steak is less susceptible to contamination as this will all be on the surface. This is why eating steaks cooked rare is not an issue. Any contaminants on the outside will be killed by the grilling and the inside, although barely cooked, is not contaminated. Making steak tartare from a good steak should thus be equally safe. Because hamburger has all sorts of parts all ground together, you have to be much more careful about cooking it.

Last May I had a Bistecca alla Fiorentina (Florence Steak) in Florence (where else). It is a very thick T-Bone from a special breed of cattle - the Chianina - one of the largest and oldest cattle breeds in the world. It is cooked very fast over a very hot wood fire so that is will be nicely charred on the outside and essentially raw in the middle. In restaurants it is priced by weight. A typical slab comes in around 1000 g. I didn't want that much, but found a place that would cut a small 500 g steak for me. Yum. If you are in Florence, try Trattoria Nella on Via della Terme. It's one of those rare gems that is just steps away from the tourist center but mostly patronized by locals.

trattorianella.it/nostro-menu.html
    • I didn't think I would like it untill I tried it. I would meet a friend sunday afternoons at a waterfront bar for cocktails. Sunday was pretty much change over day for rentals & slow for resstaraunts. Thats why we picked then. Onr year the owner hired Yosie, an award winiing sushie chef for the season. We were very often one of his few or only clients on these slow afteroons. We would have him make us something. We didn't know what to order so let him choose. We would sample a few varieties each time & e would tell us what we had afterwards. Only time he steered me wrong was several yaers later when he had his own place. Meeting a date for a quck bite befor a movie whe decided ln his place for a to go order. He came out front brcause he knew me & asked what we wanted. I said surprise us, & he asked what she liked. He then prepred our snack. He had a few California rolls that he knew I loved & a few things of what she liked. His surprise was mrinted baby octupie...
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I didn't think I would like it untill I tried it. I would meet a friend sunday afternoons at a waterfront bar for cocktails. Sunday was pretty much change over day for rentals & slow for resstaraunts. Thats why we picked then. Onr year the owner hired Yosie, an award winiing sushie chef for the season. We were very often one of his few or only clients on these slow afteroons. We would have him make us something. We didn't know what to order so let him choose. We would sample a few varieties each time & e would tell us what we had afterwards. Only time he steered me wrong was several yaers later when he had his own place. Meeting a date for a quck bite befor a movie whe decided ln his place for a to go order. He came out front brcause he knew me & asked what we wanted. I said surprise us, & he asked what she liked. He then prepred our snack. He had a few California rolls that he knew I loved & a few things of what she liked. His surprise was mrinted baby octupie...
      now, was that an afrodecieack?
    • mental note wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Still not eating raw meat.
      I feel that way about fish/sushi.
      When living in Seattle, had some out of town friends visit. I took them to a fave sushi place. Once they were over the concept, enjoyed the food. Though one did comment, "Back home we call this 'bait'".

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • mental note wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I didn't think I would like it untill I tried it. I would meet a friend sunday afternoons at a waterfront bar for cocktails. Sunday was pretty much change over day for rentals & slow for resstaraunts. Thats why we picked then. Onr year the owner hired Yosie, an award winiing sushie chef for the season. We were very often one of his few or only clients on these slow afteroons. We would have him make us something. We didn't know what to order so let him choose. We would sample a few varieties each time & e would tell us what we had afterwards. Only time he steered me wrong was several yaers later when he had his own place. Meeting a date for a quck bite befor a movie whe decided ln his place for a to go order. He came out front brcause he knew me & asked what we wanted. I said surprise us, & he asked what she liked. He then prepred our snack. He had a few California rolls that he knew I loved & a few things of what she liked. His surprise was mrinted baby octupie...
      now, was that an afrodecieack?
      Thanks - now I have a picture of a dizzy yak with big hair stuck in my mind.

Looks like I'm not the first - there's a towel for sale with that image.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does

The post was edited 2 times, last by WanderingStovie ().

• Mountain-Mike wrote:

Octopus can be incredible or terrible. Usually not anything in between those two.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Octopus can be incredible or terrible. Usually not anything in between those two.
      what qualities is it that differencieates the two?
    • mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

tenderness
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

tenderness
      Had octopus breaded and deep fried. Couldn't detect any taste beyond breading. But had pickled octopus in Greece in a tasty salad.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Trying to eat live octopus would really suck.
      And deadly. Sometimes they cling to your throat and wont go down into the stomach. lack of oxygen then kills oyu, if the ambulance crew doesn't deal with it in time or correctly.

Raw, or undercooked, food tends to deal my insides a bad day. Some of my relatives like sushi.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Rasty wrote:

mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

tenderness
      ah gotcha, now that you mention it, I likely have never had it prepared correctly cause iirc every time I've ever had Calimari, it's been rubbery and chewy...I just thought that's how it was, not sure I'd find a tender one appealing having been corrupted all these years :D Crazy ain't it.
    • Rasty wrote:

mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

tenderness