Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

biking, Cheaha Challenge, 2017

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• biking, Cheaha Challenge, 2017

The ham radio club I'm part of was there in 2016, and previous years, as safety communications for the race. Here is part of an email i received for the 2017 part of the ride.

quote:

Cheaha Challenge Century ride is the 2017 qualifier for the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships!

We are thrilled to announce our century ride has won the bid to host the 2017 Union Cycliste International (UCI) Gran Fondo World Championship Qualifier for the United States.This is very exciting news for us, as we are the ONLY qualifier in the United States for the HUGE UCIChampionship that will be held in September 2017 in France!

This is a big deal not only for our ride, but for Jacksonville and our area and for Alabama, and for the whole Southeastern United States, as we'll draw riders from Europe to our little cycling mecca.

This is what it means to you, our riders:
      1. The first 25% of athletes of each age group will be awarded with guaranteed entry to the UCI Gran Fondo World Championship in France and guaranteed entry to the UCI Gran Fondo World Championship in France and be able to ride for the World Champion title. The first three finishers in each age group category will automatically receive entry eligibility.

2. Only the CENTURY riders of the Challenge are eligible to receive this designation.

3. UCI age groups are determined by the cyclist's age on Dec. 31 of that year. (i.e. If you don't turn 50 until August, you would still compete in the 50-54 age group in May.)

4. UCI age groups are:
      19-34
      35-39
      40-44
      45-49
      50-54
      55-59
      60-64
      65-70
      70+

end quote:
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.