Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

looking for corned beef hash suggestions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LIhikers wrote:

I first had grits on an Amtrak train from New York to California.
      The food was much better than I was expecting, I thought it would be like airline food, but no.
      The food was cooked fresh downstairs in the kitchen and the tables for eating at were upstairs.
      Grits is OK, but nothing to write home about.
      In the past I've travelled via Amtrak from CA to NYC and return. Throughly enjoyed the ride, scenery, caught up on my reading, and the food was superb. The best part as I had the time for the trip (52 hours one way as I recall), found a ticket special which cost .03 cents per mile.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • LIhikers wrote:

The food was much better than I was expecting, I thought it would be like airline food, but no.
      The food was cooked fresh downstairs in the kitchen and the tables for eating at were upstairs.
      I once did write home about grits.

In '69 I went off to engineering school in Baltimore. As you may imagine it's hard to find grits there. Took me a while to get used to potatoes. Potatoes for breakfast, who knew? So my mom was born and raised in MD, I wrote her a letter asking why she didn't tell me about the strange eating habits of Baltimorons. She replied she knew I would blow off my opportunity in Baltimore if I knew grits weren't available there. As always she was wiser than me.
    • Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

In the past I've travelled via Amtrak from CA to NYC and return. Throughly enjoyed the ride, scenery, caught up on my reading, and the food was superb. The best part as I had the time for the trip (52 hours one way as I recall), found a ticket special which cost .03 cents per mile.
      I have taken Amtrak back home the last 3 summers on the AT. It is slow, but definitely more pleasant than the bus. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • But grits are incredibly easy to make correctly.

I have tried the Good Value corned beef hash. Much less greasy than the Libby's corned beef hash. But i did have to use a fork to pry it out of the can. heating it in a small skillet let the grease out. Enjoying it with a small microwaved single serve rice.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • mental note wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I cut both ends off the can and push the whole glob of hash out in one piece. Then I take a knife and slice it into burger sized patties and fry until crisp on one side and then flip.
      I love fried liverworst a thin slice of onion on lighty kaboomed toast
      Kaboomed as in burned an image of a mushroom cloud into the bread?

How long before microwaves can add a picture of a mushroom cloud to the food you nuke?
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • JimBlue wrote:

Sounds interesting, but the good value can only had a place to use a can opener on one end. My sister told me not to bring that in the house again as it smelled like dog food.

I'll probably try the libby's in a few days.
      Some of the no bean chili I eat looks like dog food, but thankfully does not smell like dog food.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

mental note wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I cut both ends off the can and push the whole glob of hash out in one piece. Then I take a knife and slice it into burger sized patties and fry until crisp on one side and then flip.
      I love fried liverworst a thin slice of onion on lighty kaboomed toast
      Kaboomed as in burned an image of a mushroom cloud into the bread?
      How long before microwaves can add a picture of a mushroom cloud to the food you nuke?
      exactly!
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Sounds interesting, but the good value can only had a place to use a can opener on one end. My sister told me not to bring that in the house again as it smelled like dog food.

Some of the no bean chili I eat looks like dog food, but thankfully does not smell like dog food.
      my dogs canned food really doesn't look all that bad, and if we were in more of an apocalyptic time, my dog might have to move a little further down the trouth. :D
    • I have friends volunteering with 'Meals on Wheels' and they occasionally run across a senior admitting to resorting to dog food when funds are low.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

One of the best sermons I've heard was on believing everything you read, the preacher pulled out a can of dog food and read on the label that it tastes great...should you believe that...only way to tell is to eat some...he pulls out a can opener and eats a big spoon full...women start gagging and several had to get up and run out. He had taken a dog food label and put it on some chile...he made his point.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I can't bring myself to try Spam or canned corned beef hash.
      Well, forget the singles, WOT, However, Perhaps this will help - WWII Spam saved the Brits with its fatty pork shoulder meat, at the end of the war they were 6 months before starving to death if it wasn't for the convoys. Fat delivers energy, it doesn't make you fat. Sugars are quick energy that overwhelm the pancreas. This being put out here in a simplistic post, Understand it all in the preparation. I prefer to slice Spam in thin slices with a cheese wired handle, I soak in a Raspberry BBQ sauce that has no heat. They soak over night with a tea spoon of Wright's Hickory and tossed 4 hours on a Food Dryer. This reduces the weight by 2/3 and is coupled with Hard Boiled Eggs and Sea Salt packets. So wicked, it fools everyone, I have tested this among st good friends and they could not identify the pork or that it was in a can. [IMG:https://sits-pod32.demandware.net/dw/image/v2/AAYB_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-swk-catalog/default/dwadd6eea5/images/131156.jpg?sw=500]

jimmyjam wrote:

I like Libby's fried up with scrambled eggs on the side and some sliced 'maters and toast.

POST FAIL SORRY.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • mental note wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

The Hormel. was okay. But all 3 kick my blood sugar up too much so I will have to not eat them any more.
      this was posted at TOS, thought the video interesting, I'm sure it's elementary for you if your a sugar checker, but I learned a few things as far as glycemic load.
      burnfatnotsugar.com/
      It used to be there was no sugar in hash and many other savory foods, now they add it to everything. The hash I ate as a kid was made from a can of plain corned beef, left over potatoes, and some ketchup. The only added sugar was in the ketchup and not anywhere near as much as there is now. I no longer enjoy ketchup, if I want tomato flavor I use plain tomato paste. Even with tomato paste you got to read the can to make sure they didn't add junk to it. I have not seen the corned beef in a can my mother used to buy for years. Even vegetables can have added sugar, Delmonte started adding sugar to beets, beets are used to make sugar, they don't need sugar added to them. And they wonder why Americans are sick.....
    • SandyofPA wrote:

mental note wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

The Hormel. was okay. But all 3 kick my blood sugar up too much so I will have to not eat them any more.
      this was posted at TOS, thought the video interesting, I'm sure it's elementary for you if your a sugar checker, but I learned a few things as far as glycemic load.burnfatnotsugar.com/
      It used to be there was no sugar in hash and many other savory foods, now they add it to everything. The hash I ate as a kid was made from a can of plain corned beef, left over potatoes, and some ketchup. The only added sugar was in the ketchup and not anywhere near as much as there is now. I no longer enjoy ketchup, if I want tomato flavor I use plain tomato paste. Even with tomato paste you got to read the can to make sure they didn't add junk to it. I have not seen the corned beef in a can my mother used to buy for years. Even vegetables can have added sugar, Delmonte started adding sugar to beets, beets are used to make sugar, they don't need sugar added to them. And they wonder why Americans are sick.....
      unfortunately I've had to become a label reader, mostly to stave off the enevidable unless I take charge now. you're right, so much sugar and a ton of other crap in processed foods, our bodies so don't need this stuff.
    • Lets get this back on track

1 cup of corned beef is about 120 calories a cup of corned beef hash is 420 calories, making it from scratch takes ten days I don't have. but two cups of CB hash on the trail has merit. Lets face it, you won't go hungry!

[IMG:https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/5109JTPXPTL._SX425_.jpg]
      Images
      • Untitled attachment 00022.jpg

35.87 kB, 320×195, viewed 252 times
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: