Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

AMC Harriman Outdoor Center

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AMC Harriman Outdoor Center

Everything lined up yesterday and Kathy and I were able to escape to Harriman State Park for the day. We don't get much time together with nothing to do so this was a day we were looking forward to for a couple of weeks. The weather was perfect for hiking, sunny and cool but there was a stiff wind at the start. Even traffic for our drive to the park, about 2 hours, was moving well the whole way. I had hoped to park at Reeves Meadow but the lot was already full by the time we got there at 9:30ish, so we continued north on 7 Lakes drive and parked at the Sebago Lake boat launch area. We soon were saddled up, except for our dog Tora who was going packless, and headed up the trail, and hill, on the other side of the road. Kathy had the map so I didn't worry about navigation and couldn't tell you now which trails we walked just yesterday. Our surroundings were beautiful and the leaves starting to turn their fall colors. In fact I was surprised at how many were already on the ground. I think that may have just as much to do with the lack of rain this year as with the season. In fact, every stream bed we crossed yesterday was dry. We walked through a variety of terrains and stopped on one rock outcrop, bathed in the sun, for a short break. Back on our feet and I continued to marvel at our surroundings. We came across a young couple with "deer in the head lights" looks on their faces. Judging by the size of their packs and the look on their faces I'm guessing they were out on their first overnighter. A little later we came across what I suppose was a young woman and her mother. They did tell us they had been out for the night and had camped near Third Reservoir. Now, as far as I know there's no legal camping there so later I mentioned to Kathy that the they were like us, doin it wrong. We walked on and I started to pay attention when Kathy mentioned that we had to look for an unmarked trail. We found it and headed down hill toward Breakneck Pond and the AMC's new Harriman Outdoor Center. Once there we walked all around the place. It's new this year and we had never seen it before. There are tent platforms, some fancy 3 sided shelters with windows in the back wall and a porch with railing in front, cabins for up to 4 people, and lodges for groups of 12 and/or 16. There are also picnic tables and Adirondack chairs about the property, a beach with real sand, a large picnic pavilion, and a large dining hall, there's also canoes and kayaks for rent to the registered guests. And of course all of this comes at prices as listed on the web site. I have to say that it looks like it was all very done. I'm sure being so close to New York City that it will be a financial success. I am disappointed that unlike the AMC huts in the White Mountains you can't stop in for a bowl of soup or other food or drink during the day. Once we had seen all there is to see we walked out the access road until we came to an unmarked woods road and followed that, eventually coming to a red blazed, x-country ski trail. We followed that for a ways and just before getting to 7 Lakes drive we noticed an obelisk shaped monument about 4 1/2 feet high with writing carved into one side. It seemed to be in remembrance of Abram Waldran in the late 1800s. Then we crosses the road and it was a short walk back to our car. It was a great day and we went home pleasantly tired.
    • looks like a nice facility. prices for tent site and cabins are surprisingly competitive especially given the location. the lodge seems pricey at first glance, but if ya fill em up with 12-16 people (stated capacity) that's reasonable on a per person basis (although i've never gone camping with 16 people). oh, and the canoes and kayaks are actually free to registered guests.

once the word gets out i bet that place will be packed.
      2,000 miler