Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

100 Tips for Prospective 2017 AT Thru-hikers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• If I was going to become an instructor for those who are prospective AT thru-hikers, one of the assignments I would give to my students is to watch a complete season of the television show Alone (10-12 episodes or so). I think it's on the History channel if you're watching TV on Channels versus downloading.

In the most recent season of shows, ten Americans (from the thousands who applied) are dumped out into a mountainous area of Patagonia alongside a large lake, spread about 5-7 miles apart (for those geographically challenged, Patagonia is in South America).

The contestants don't see each other once they're dropped off on the bank of the lake. The premise of the show is the last person still there Alone wins $500,000. Of course, that is the big motivator in the beginning. All the contestants are hepped up to win $500,000. Wouldn't you?

What the contestants find is they're regularly cold, it rains frequently and for the show, only when they give up or undergo an irregularly scheduled medical exam do they see many other people. Each contestant has a few GoPro-type cameras the contestants use to tell the story of their life while living Alone in Patagonia. Each hour-long TV episode then shows to the viewing public some of the self-shot footage from a few of the contestants to create the TV story of the contestants.

Sure there are dissimilarities to an AT thru-hike but the really important parts that are similar are these:

1) Each contestant rather quickly figures out -- within days -- it's not the gear or their backwoods skills that becomes important. it's how they deal with their mind. Each contestant can back out of the experience anytime they want just by making a phone call and declaring themselves tapped-out and a boat full of camera people show up, take them back to civilization and fly them back home to the USA. Backing out becomes so very tempting to a few of the contestants right out of the gate. They miss their family, it's raining all the time and they''re cold much of the time. Some remember what it was like sleeping in a warm bed with their spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend or sending their kid off to school in the morning.

That makes some of the contestants ask themselves, "What am I doing out here?" and a few realize, "I cannot do this."

Heh, just like starting an AT thru-hike.

2) Each of the contestants figures out they have to, as a priority, learn to enjoy the experience. For those who realize early on they don't like the experience, they quickly go home.

Heh, just like starting an AT thru-hike.

3) I don't want to spoil it for anyone interested in watching the show but the few people remaining in the end -- they're driven. Sure, it's the $500,000 still as a motivation but along with that, they are driven to finish. Driven.

Heh, just like those who end up carrying their full backpack in a continuous journey past every blaze on the Appalachian Trail.

If you're fortunate enough to have access to the show on your TV set or have access to the usual places for viewing on-line/downloading, check out the show. I think you'll enjoy the adventures of the contestants. It is so interesting to see how the contestants change over time.

Heh, just like an AT thru-hike.

Datto
    • Or relate to such programming.

Folks tell me regularly I should try out for one of the survival shows. However the few I've endured viewing have left me with a distaste for the unnecessary drama.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • "Naked and Afraid"....when I first saw it, I thought it was a joke.....then I watched the whole episode.

Now, while it isn't a joke, intentionally, I still laugh my arse off watching it. Far better interpersonal drama. Sunburn, allergic reactions, bug bites, bug stings, boiling water, bad choices, bad hair, bad hygiene...it has it all!!! Kinda like the AT...without clothes....kinda....

The one in the Yucatan was HILARIOUS for the sheer chutzpah and stupidity of both contestants...

Nothing is funnier than watching a couple of naked strangers wet and freezing but too timid to snuggle together for warmth under a bunch of palm fronds, suffering for hours...all for money...
    • ScareBear wrote:

"Naked and Afraid"....when I first saw it, I thought it was a joke.....then I watched the whole episode.

Now, while it isn't a joke, intentionally, I still laugh my arse off watching it. Far better interpersonal drama. Sunburn, allergic reactions, bug bites, bug stings, boiling water, bad choices, bad hair, bad hygiene...it has it all!!! Kinda like the AT...without clothes....kinda....

The one in the Yucatan was HILARIOUS for the sheer chutzpah and stupidity of both contestants...

Nothing is funnier than watching a couple of naked strangers wet and freezing but too timid to snuggle together for warmth under a bunch of palm fronds, suffering for hours...all for money...
      Pretty sure they don't get money even...not this boy!
    • meat wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

"Naked and Afraid"....when I first saw it, I thought it was a joke.....then I watched the whole episode.

Pretty sure they don't get money even...not this boy!
      I would watch the uncensored version.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Hey, here in Murphy we're in the 95th percentile of rednecks and automatic weapons per capita in the United States. No hip hop of course but plenty of live music in town.

I'm surprised at the number of CxO types who have very nice places here. Murphy Bulldogs are seven time state champions in football also.

Really glad I bought a cabin here. Terrific little town. One of the best things I've ever done for myself and the crew here.

And the AT is nearby too. Easy to drive over in no time and head north or south.

I did have to put up a three-level electric fence to protect the animals. I've seen too many mountain lions, bears, foxes and bobcats strolling past that would otherwise keep me awake at night. And I need my beauty sleep even more so these days.

Datto

The post was edited 1 time, last by Datto ().

• meat wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I prefer MythBusters, at least I'll learn something useful.

Not sure how the new team is going to work out though.
      hadn't heard, was there a break up?

Some focus group or other silliness like Discovery channel decided after all these years they didn't like the 3 that were there. So since January a new group has undergone a survivor type thingy where they take another look, mostly myths that have been busted, to see how they do.

I think the original 3 were doing fine.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Datto wrote:

Hey, here in Murphy we're in the 95th percentile of rednecks and automatic weapons per capita in the United States. No hip hop of course but plenty of live music in town.

I'm surprised at the number of CxO types who have very nice places here. Murphy Bulldogs are seven time state champions in football also.

Really glad I bought a cabin here. Terrific little town. One of the best things I've ever done for myself and the crew here.

And the AT is nearby too. Easy to drive over in no time and head north or south.

I did have to put up a three-level electric fence to protect the animals. I've seen too many mountain lions, bears, foxes and bobcats strolling past that would otherwise keep me awake at night. And I need my beauty sleep even more so these days.

Datto
      Mountain lions in North Carolina? You've got a good imagination.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Yeah, I understand why the naturalists/similar claim there are none here in these parts. Probably a wise move.

They are around. Quite a few people in this neck of the woods have seen at least one (at least two different ones have been seen) although they're not around often. Somebody's mother-in-law was sitting out on the deck a couple years ago and the tan one strolled right past a few feet away and scared the daylights out of her. Mine (the tan one also -- not the mother-in-law, ha) was just north of my north property line more than a year or so ago. It was so, so quick. Graceful for such a big body -- I'd say about 80% of the size of the mountain lions I saw out west on the PCT which were giants. Real big and fast out west, a slight bit smaller but still very large (I'm guessing well more than twice the size of a full grown Doberman and guessing more than 3x the weight of a full grown Doberman, maybe even more on the weight than that) and lightning quick here in these parts. Haven't shown up on any of my own IR cams here yet (which surprises me) but pretty much all the other notable wildlife sure has. I suspect my IR cams will pick one up in the next few years (they weren't on-line yet when I saw the mountain lion).

Amazing how much my typing and spelling go downhill when the dog wants attention. I don't know if I've ever seen a dog so jealous of a laptop.

Datto

The post was edited 12 times, last by Datto ().

• jimmyjam wrote:

Datto wrote:

Hey, here in Murphy we're in the 95th percentile of rednecks and automatic weapons per capita in the United States. No hip hop of course but plenty of live music in town.

Datto
      Hey, I actually find that one a lot easier to believe than some of his posts.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • There are enough bobcats in...ILLINOIS...that they have just this year allowed hunting and trapping. I think the harvest was up around 140 bobcats. That is in Illinois. Holy crap. And, it is now unlawful to kill a timberwolf, black bear or cougar in Illinois. Because, apparently, these things have migrated to...Illinois...they better stay out of Chicago...just sayin...

Can't kill a cougar in Missouri either. But, soon you will be able to get a bear tag...bears and cougars in Missouri...so far nothing on my wildlife cams...although this is literally next door to my land....10 miles....

thejump.net/multimedia/cougar/…eck-Ranch-cougar-2013.htm

This one was next door. Less than 2 miles...

thejump.net/multimedia/cougar/MDC-2012.htm

After 2012, I don't go anywhere on the property without the G20 on my hip...cougars and bears...wth?

The post was edited 1 time, last by ScareBear ().

• In the National Elk Fondation Stuffed animal museum, in Missoula, there are all manner of stuffed creatures found out west....many cats. Around one corner I came to the Mike Tyson of Cats. This thing looked like he was on his way home from the gym when the truck hit him. I have always knew I would attack any animal that came at me....but this thing would mess me up!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • ScareBear wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Here, kitty, kitty! :D
      NOT!!! If you've ever seen the video of how a cougar takes down a 275 pound mule deer or seen how it doesn't care about having to deal with a 400 pound Grizz....kitty kitty my....!!!!
      Actually, I am far more concerned about cougars out west than bears...

CoachLou wrote:

In the National Elk Fondation Stuffed animal museum, in Missoula, there are all manner of stuffed creatures found out west....many cats. Around one corner I came to the Mike Tyson of Cats. This thing looked like he was on his way home from the gym when the truck hit him. I have always knew I would attack any animal that came at me....but this thing would mess me up!
      I'd much rather take my chances with a 380 lb. bear that I might be able to persuade to leave, verses a big cats, as I said not long ago on a WB blaze thead...I don't do big cats, they're scary fast and strong with razors at the end of the boxing gloves, and they box with their feet too. That are the true mixed martial artists of the big game aniamals, only surpassed by maybe a gorilla who's just gonna pull your head off for a look inside just for sumthin to do on a lazy day.
    • This conversation reminds me of a show I watched on sharks some years ago. Apparently the guy who fishes and tags sharks was getting tired of some questions from the documentary crew and said something to the effect 'well, thats good that you read that in a book on sharks. Just remember they don't read.'
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Someone will someday come up with the ultimate reality TV show.

Naked Amish little people dating real housewives while surviving with Bear Grylls and flipping houses with the Kardashians.
      I like ta die Laughlin' when they harvested methane from a cow to blow up a shed to get back at someone...pretty clever the Amish :D
      But would they have to harvest it? Couldn't they just stick a fuse in there and nah never mind...
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference