Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

new AT record

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Thing is, I don't know of any way anyone can prove beyond all doubt that they hiked the entire AT.

And I don't see how talking, or not talking, to a Known Trail Personage will prove someone hiked, or didn't hike, any trail anywhere.

There are plenty of trail journals, all someone need do is read enough of them, and be able to answer questions. No need to get all answers correct. Appear at major points coming down the trail, get your photo taken, etc. No one can remember every detail of something they did like that for months, unless they have a photographic memory. I've met only one person in my almost 70 years who admitted to having such a memory.

So, I'm not piling on.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

But that still means many hikes aren't verified that don't know about those methods.
      There are thru-hikes and there are FKT attempts. The Ninja is claiming the FKT record, not that she just hiked the trail. Big difference. And she's using her feat to solicit donations that go to her personal bank account.

THE Wild Card Ninja via facebook wrote:

People kept talking about Anish and her story fascinated me. It kept pulling at me. I looked up everything I could.
      Apparently, she looked up everything except the documentation part.

I'n not quite sure why this story fascinates me. Maybe it's my logical side. Or maybe it's a strange obsession with watching a story unfold and waiting for inevitable head explosion. I just can't wrap my head around how someone who partied their way NOBO and took time off for injuries could all of a sudden turn SOBO and finish hiking south in 45 days while maintaining a healthy appearance.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

I just can't wrap my head around how someone who partied their way NOBO and took time off for injuries could all of a sudden turn SOBO and finish hiking south in 45 days while maintaining a healthy appearance.
      Because having done it all wrong the first time, she knew how to do it all right the second time. Expert, even.

<<Hides sh*t-stirring stick behind back>>
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • As I said. My relatives and I discussed this. If she is recently out of the military. She is in much better shape, usually, than someone who hasn't been in the military. To me, it doesn't matter what type of hike.slow or fast she claims to have done. Just like I am giving others who say they have completed it and set a record. I am willing to give all of them the benefit of the doubt that they said is fact. Just like I am doing for any one who says they have walked it in 6 months or any other length of time.

Unless someone has a digital tag and hires a non interested third party to monitor them, it's not possible to prove a person hiked the entire thing. This is of course in my opinion.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

But that still means many hikes aren't verified that don't know about those methods.
      probably 90% of hikers who are on the ATC 2000 miler list did not meet the qualifications for inclusion.

but we are talking about a "record" and in order to set one you must be squeaky clean in meeting all of the requirements. and thats how it should be.
      2,000 miler
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

There are thru-hikes and there are FKT attempts. The Ninja is claiming the FKT record, not that she just hiked the trail. Big difference. And she's using her feat to solicit donations that go to her personal bank account.

THE Wild Card Ninja via facebook wrote:

People kept talking about Anish and her story fascinated me. It kept pulling at me. I looked up everything I could.
      Apparently, she looked up everything except the documentation part.
      I'n not quite sure why this story fascinates me. Maybe it's my logical side. Or maybe it's a strange obsession with watching a story unfold and waiting for inevitable head explosion. I just can't wrap my head around how someone who partied their way NOBO and took time off for injuries could all of a sudden turn SOBO and finish hiking south in 45 days while maintaining a healthy appearance.
      It's like the train wreck Coach Lou mentions.

Normally, I'm a champion of the underdog and hate people-bashing, even if they deserve it. But this situation makes me angry for several reasons so I'm struggling to be compassionate.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • JimBlue wrote:

As I said. My relatives and I discussed this. If she is recently out of the military. She is in much better shape, usually, than someone who hasn't been in the military. To me, it doesn't matter what type of hike.slow or fast she claims to have done. Just like I am giving others who say they have completed it and set a record. I am willing to give all of them the benefit of the doubt that they said is fact. Just like I am doing for any one who says they have walked it in 6 months or any other length of time.

Unless someone has a digital tag and hires a non interested third party to monitor them, it's not possible to prove a person hiked the entire thing. This is of course in my opinion.
      By claiming the FKT, she's taking it away from someone else. Someone who did it legitimately and can verify it. Her FKT has been disproved because of skipped miles in SNP. She needs to accept it, concede graciously, and get on with her life.

edit; sorry, I meant skipped miles in SNP, not hitch.
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• didja ever notice notice how people who are liked get a pass on certain things?

CSI whiteblaze has attacked the claims of KB with the fervor of a hungry dog going after a bone. and thats cool; the claim has been discredited. everything at this point is just piling on. more than one whiteblazer -- noting that the subject of the thread has issues -- has called for people to stop talking about this to no avail. they are posting to her facebook page and then expressing outrage that their posts are being deleted. well -- if ya post crap on my page i'm deleting it too. and is it really necessary to post on her mothers page?

getting back to my original sentence here's what i'm wondering out loud...

warren doyle posted that jurek missed a couple hundred yards of the AT on his record run. why was this not investigated by CSI whiteblaze?

and while she carried a spot, and promised to release the results, anish has not yet done so. (according to just bill). why has the release of these gps records not been demanded by CSI whiteblaze?

no need to answer; these individuals are liked. still seems inconsistent to my way of thinking.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch, that is pretty much how I feel about it. Everyone should be, if claiming a record, held to the same standard. Otherwise the record is meaningless.

For myself, I'll never claim I made a record, doubt if I could anyway. I'll take pictures of my start and finish, maybe record and photograph some bits and pieces of my hikes, and if folks want to claim I didn't make them, well, I'll just ignore them.

I'll be doing this as I want to geto ut and enjoy the outdoors a few more times before I have to stop.

Well, my sister has said that when it comes to the day I can no longer hike, they will try to get me out to a park for a day from time to time.

And I replied that I thought that was a good idea, but I was hoping to hike on the Earth's moon some day. Some of the teenagers laughed, but my sister knew I was and am serious about that.
      --
    • Browsed the one link, and found her FB page. Some quick skimming and even this pack sniffer is throwing BS flags faster than Roger Goodell hands out bogus fines and suspensions.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • I've been to three. Before that was the Top Secret MLK weekend, I think. Next year will be MLK V?

Fifth year Anniversary? That calls for a Double layer Cheesecake! :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

I've been to three. Before that was the Top Secret MLK weekend, I think. Next year will be MLK V?

as I write, a blueberry cheesecake is baking.

Request someone remind me...What's MLK?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • IMScotty wrote:

I've been to three. Before that was the Top Secret MLK weekend, I think. Next year will be MLK V?

The first one wasn't top secret, it was just that nobody seemed interested. 8)

It also didn't help that the first one was a 36 mile loop winter hike on some of CT's more haggared terrain. Most of us ended up skipping about 10 miles of it, only Lazarus pushed through to do the whole thing.

I've since done the same hike in the spring and it's awesome.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Dan76 wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Martin Luther King weekend, the usual date of our get-together. For me it has been more of a social occasion than a serious hike.

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

The first one wasn't top secret, it was just that nobody seemed interested. 8)
      It also didn't help that the first one was a 36 mile loop winter hike on some of CT's more haggared terrain. Most of us ended up skipping about 10 miles of it, only Lazarus pushed through to do the whole thing.

I've since done the same hike in the spring and it's awesome.

I did not realize the first one was in CT. That would cut down on my commute time :) I very much look forward to what little hiking I get done on MLK weekend since I am mostly a desk potato through the winter.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Dan76 wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

In the south it is the same weekend as we celebrate Robert E. Lee day.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • the next year we had a more spread out group so we went to Harriman, as it is more central to folks and more route options. And we have done a different route every year. And as Scotty says, it isn't very much of a hike, a camp out to get out and see folks. Not to mention the breakfast buffet on Sunday at the Bear Mtn. Inn :thumbsup:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • max.patch wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

max.patch wrote:

probably 90% of hikers who are on the ATC 2000 miler list did not meet the qualifications for inclusion.
      Not doubting you...what prompts the statement?
      that's what i saw. baltimore jack believed that during the years he hiked that only 3%-5% of all thru hikers actually hiked the entire trail.
      No wonder it is taking me so long, I have been trying to do the whole thing. :rolleyes:
    • I really don't have any intention of doing the whole thing. I have only been on 700ish miles of it. I don't like being wet! Some of it is just damn boring! I'm a working stiff and won't have the time until I won't have the legs! I have calculated that if I do all the sections I would like to, I will maybe get to 1600. No biggy.............it has taken me 49 years to get to 700...... I should be able to get to 1600 :thumbsup:
      Now here I sit in Harriman after a day of trail work..... Instead of getting more miles....... No biggy........ It was an absolutely beautiful day to be outside today
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • LIhikers wrote:

I consider the MLK weekend a social thing more than a hiking thing.
      I suppose when we put together a plan for this winter we might as well plan on Sunday brunch right from the start.
      We should also plan to carpool to the inn next time. :D
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I consider the MLK weekend a social thing more than a hiking thing.
      I suppose when we put together a plan for this winter we might as well plan on Sunday brunch right from the start.
      We should also plan to carpool to the inn next time. :D
      I am going to have to make it there sometime. Besides the obvious opportunity to meet new people (and see old ones again), I hear that place has a lot of Brooklyn Dodgers history. :thumbup: