Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Woo Update.... Autobiography

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I had bats actually come in my Attic a few years ago and asked Woo this same question. He told me to hang a tarp over the opening the idea being bats have a certain approach they like, kinda like an airplane does the same way each time, down wind, base leg, final approach. By hanging a long tarp over the opening they can't access the opening the way they'd like to and basically move on to somewhere they like better.

I also field plumbing questions :)
    • meat wrote:

I had bats actually come in my Attic a few years ago and asked Woo this same question. He told me to hang a tarp over the opening the idea being bats have a certain approach they like, kinda like an airplane does the same way each time, down wind, base leg, final approach. By hanging a long tarp over the opening they can't access the opening the way they'd like to and basically move on to somewhere they like better.

thats makes sense -- but i'm not sure my ladder goes that high...and even if it does...i ain't gonna be up there!
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

meat wrote:

I had bats actually come in my Attic a few years ago and asked Woo this same question. He told me to hang a tarp over the opening the idea being bats have a certain approach they like, kinda like an airplane does the same way each time, down wind, base leg, final approach. By hanging a long tarp over the opening they can't access the opening the way they'd like to and basically move on to somewhere they like better.

thats makes sense -- but i'm not sure my ladder goes that high...and even if it does...i ain't gonna be up there!
      maybe some long poles, it doesnt have to be pretty or even a perfect fit, just enough to piss em off so that they'll go to your nieghbors instead, he he. :saint:
    • For me, and it sounds like for you, they've moved on. I didnt have to hang the tarp either. They left and shortly after that I had the house resided and corrected the facia where they had been coming in...haven't seen em since! Though we have considered putting up bat boxes, cause their cool and eat sceeters and it sounds like they need a break.
    • max.patch wrote:

went up to the attic to change the furnace filter and noticed evidence that bats have been roosting outside on the attic vent. they can't get inside because of the screen. they are not there now. are they gonna come back, and if they do, how do i encourage them to leave?
      In some parts of the US they are a year round stay. Here in PA they leave after the leaves fall off the trees and the moths hibernate, hence no food. They will be back after the first budding of the trees and the warmed air brings back the moths. Mosquitoes are less than 5% of their intake. Moths are full of protien and provide enough Protein for Bears to chase after them.

I don't think what you are discussing is a big issue. - I like having bats in the yard. Set up a bat box 20 feet away and 20+ feet off the ground (no lower) and Home Despot still sells aluminum or galvanized fly mesh staple it to the outside of the vent and trim it. Some folks want it spray painted to match. Check your attic soffits for guano.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Below is a picture when the manufacture sends us the wrong crap and we get forced to use it, I like the pic because we are able to take a pic and you can see what we are doing. This attic during the late summer was housing hundreds of bats, so bad we had to replace the insulation as the tenants would have been very sick from the urine and guano. We don't use tarps - we staple "no see" nets around the openings to force them out. They can escape but cannot figure out how to get back in. The nets we normally use are 6 or 10 foot x 100 feet and are invisible to someone walking down the street. When hung we add heavy one inch washers on zip ties at the bottom to reduce wind issues. There is a small window as each state has many laws protecting bats and you cannot mess with the law, check your state websites. After two weeks we send in a professional roofer to seal all the holes. and they return the nets to us to be recycled.[IMG:http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/9232012016.jpg]
    • Here is a great guy helping me set up the bird nets from the same job. We ordered rectangles not "hammocks" Yes that is a 75 foot hammock and with a come-a-long, would allow twenty people between two big trees. It really sucked when I had to return them... :cursing:

[IMG:http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/9232012014.jpg]
    • max.patch wrote:

meat wrote:

That is what sons are for. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

meat wrote:

That is what sons are for. ;)
      HaHa . But true. When my dad was my age he was painting the siding on his house. He called me over when he got to the high side. I asked him what he wanted me to do. He said get up on that ladder and paint that side, I don't want to break my neck. He did have the siding redone In aluminum after that.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference