Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Packing your fears

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My wife and I have a trip to the smokeys in two weeks and we pick up a can of bear spray. She said there was no way she was going without it. .. We had planned on a paddle to Hazel creek and then hiking up to the different sites up the trail I think the farthest one up is 11 miles. Well, when I went to put in our campsite reservations, 2 of the sites were closed due to bear activity. One of the sites is the same place the boy got pulled out of his hammock last year and his dad came to the rescue. So I placed our reservations for the island, Jerry hollow. A week ago we took all the nieces and nephews for a two nighter at Grayson highlands. My knee swelled up huge from a hit it took a month before. So it's PT for me. We're hoping my knee is good enough for some day hikes up eagle creek.
      So along with the bear spray we'll also have rugers for back up..... You never know what's hiding behind the bear. The bear might not have even been running at you, but running from something........
    • Drybones wrote:

I always pack too much food, except for once, I was saved that time by the small store at the entance to Cheaha Park where I had 3 picked eggs, cheese & crackers, and a hug

jimmyjam wrote:

I was wondering what a ham was.
      There's two per pig...I highly recommend them.
      depending on the part of the country, the swine front leg Is referred to as a picnic ham. Usually not cured as the rear leg is but rather it's considered a fresh ham.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I always pack too much food, except for once, I was saved that time by the small store at the entance to Cheaha Park where I had 3 picked eggs, cheese & crackers, and a hug

jimmyjam wrote:

I was wondering what a ham was.
      There's two per pig...I highly recommend them.
      depending on the part of the country, the swine front leg Is referred to as a picnic ham. Usually not cured as the rear leg is but rather it's considered a fresh ham.
      Bacon is the best part....end of conversation.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I pack too much food as well, and usually start out with too much water, but once I get going I carry just enough and filter when needed...
      Seems like most people pack too much food, but the real question is while out there what do you crave the most?? Obviously we all have enough food , but I tend to crave certain foods whether its a day hike or a multi day hike...
      Burgers, beer, fountain Dr Pepper and salad...not necessarily in that order!
      RIAP