Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sawyer Squeeze

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Sawyer Squeeze

I just bought a Sawyer Squeeze and have a few questions for those that have used one:

1) How do you get your water from it? Do you drink straight from the filter? Do you set up a gravity feed system? Do you squeeze into clean containers? Are there other methods?

2) If you drink straight from the filter, do you use water bottles or platypus type containers?

3) If you gravity feed, do you use hose system or tornado tube?

4) Will I need a cup to fill or top off the bag at water sources?

If you are using this product, I would appreciate your input and advice. I bought one after being unsatisfied with the Katadyn Hiker Pro. The hiker Pro clogs to quickly and weights at least 4 times as much as the Sawyer Squeeze.

I am leaning toward drinking straight through the filter and carrying 2 platypus bags. I set up a gravity feed system with a homemade tornado tube. It took 9 minutes to filter 32 oz of water. Gravity system would be slow at water sources and would require dedicated dirty bag.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Sawyer Squeeze

BirdBrain wrote:

I just bought a Sawyer Squeeze and have a few questions for those that have used one:

1) How do you get your water from it? Do you drink straight from the filter? Do you set up a gravity feed system? Do you squeeze into clean containers? Are there other methods?

2) If you drink straight from the filter, do you use water bottles or platypus type containers?

3) If you gravity feed, do you use hose system or tornado tube?

4) Will I need a cup to fill or top off the bag at water sources?

If you are using this product, I would appreciate your input and advice. I bought one after being unsatisfied with the Katadyn Hiker Pro. The hiker Pro clogs to quickly and weights at least 4 times as much as the Sawyer Squeeze.

I am leaning toward drinking straight through the filter and carrying 2 platypus bags. I set up a gravity feed system with a homemade tornado tube. It took 9 minutes to filter 32 oz of water. Gravity system would be slow at water sources and would require dedicated dirty bag.

I like to keep things simple. I use a cup to scoop water into my bag, attach filter, and squeeze directly into my water bottle that I hold between my legs to stabilize. It's difficult to fill the bag in the water sources where I normally hike...submerging doesn't work. I carry two bags because the old bags have a history of bursting so the extra is for peace of mind.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Sawyer Squeeze

I just bought the Sawyer squeeze too ... switching from a Katadyn pro as well. I'll be trying it for the first time this weekend. Good questions. I didn't even think about bringing a cup or scoop. Good idea. I'm going to squeeze right into my water bottle and bring an extra platy.
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • Sawyer Squeeze

moose717 wrote:

I just bought the Sawyer squeeze too ... switching from a Katadyn pro as well. I'll be trying it for the first time this weekend. Good questions. I didn't even think about bringing a cup or scoop. Good idea. I'm going to squeeze right into my water bottle and bring an extra platy.

Some people use a cut off water bottle. Some use a cut off platypus. I am going to experiment. I like to have multiuse items. Must ponder.

I suppose the platypus could be the dirty bag. Could squeeze into the 2 Zero Water bottles I normally use and have the platypus in reserve. This would allow me to continue to use the Nuun electrolyte. The tablets are too big to fit in normal water bottle and it might be filtered out if I drink straight from filter. Either way, I was unimpressed with the 9 minutes gravity feed. It could take as much as 30 minutes to fill all my containers using this method.
    • Sawyer Squeeze

BirdBrain wrote:

moose717 wrote:

Some people use a cut off water bottle. Some use a cut off platypus. I am going to experiment. I like to have multiuse items. Must ponder.

I'm thinking a plastic measuring cup or flexible margarine tub. Pondering away ... when I should be working!
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • Sawyer Squeeze

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

A stainless steel mesh prefilter might be a good idea too.

http://adropofrain.net/images/sawyer-squeeze-mods-1/dscn4001.jpg
      bandana works

Is the pre-filter for chunks & floaties? Wouldn't want to clog the filter.
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • Sawyer Squeeze

moose717 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

A stainless steel mesh prefilter might be a good idea too.

http://adropofrain.net/images/sawyer-squeeze-mods-1/dscn4001.jpg
      bandana works

Is the pre-filter for chunks & floaties? Wouldn't want to clog the filter.

Yes. It takes out the big chunks (sticks, pollen, bugs). It would need to be easily removed from filter to clean every so often. It isn't so much about making filter last as it is about larger objects that you don't want to pry out of filter.
    • Sawyer Squeeze

moose717 wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

moose717 wrote:

I'm thinking a plastic measuring cup or flexible margarine tub. Pondering away ... when I should be working!

Collapsible containers are hard to fill at many water sources. The bottles are easy, but are the clean containers.

A tornado tube and cut off water bottle should work wherever there is flow that can be directed. I will post a picture of my final decisions.
    • Sawyer Squeeze

Y'all just made me think of something that I will have to try when I get home.

These days a lot of the sugar free liter+ drink powders come in a tall but slender plastic canister. I'm thinking they might be perfect enough and just the right size the serve as a storage box for my Sawyer filter and bag and then double as a water scoop when necessary.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Sawyer Squeeze

Tuckahoe wrote:

These days a lot of the sugar free liter+ drink powders come in a tall but slender plastic canister. I'm thinking they might be perfect enough and just the right size the serve as a storage box for my Sawyer filter and bag and then double as a water scoop when necessary.

gif.014 :woohoo: Patent that idea. That works great. There needs to be a 10 karma button for such ideas. Just ran a time trial. Takes 3 scoops and about 30 seconds to fill a platypus this way. The filter fits great. It has a little room left over. I might store my Nuun in a snack sized ziplock in this container too. Would have to be careful not to get them wet though.

Bag does not fit in container. That is fine by me. I am not taking it with me. I will use a platypus and it will be full much of the time.
    • Re:Sawyer Squeeze

Tuckahoe wrote:

I use a Dansani water bottle that I cut to size. Works perfect and keeps my pack dry when stored upright in the side pocket of my pack.
      RIAP
    • Sawyer Squeeze

Tuckahoe wrote:

I like it! Going to try it ...
      ― Cheryl Strayed

Trebor wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I use a Dansani water bottle that I cut to size. Works perfect and keeps my pack dry when stored upright in the side pocket of my pack.
      Quick and easy set up and fits nicely in the side pocket of my pack.
      RIAP

Trebor wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

gif.004

Nice

I put a hair band around my bag and filter to keep it all tidy.
      Lost in the right direction.

Trebor wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

That is quick and easy. In researching Sawyer Squeeze usage, I see very little mention of such an item. Seems pretty necessary to me. I would think a carrying case / scoop would be one of the first things discussed.

To help fill a bottle, a piece of foil laying flat will sometimes make a waterfall where you can hold your bottle under it.

I've used mine for a couple of months now. I like the simplicity of this filter. I just fill my water bottles with the good clean water. I tried keeping one attached to a dirty water bottle and it just doesn't seem right to me. It is very top heavy. It works good, just top heavy on a not so full bottle.

After reading different reviews I have decided I will be carrying the syringe with me on any hikes overnight or longer. I don't want the filter to develop the "tunnels" of least resistance. I used to just blow through it. It cleaned it out good. But my blowing through might not have enough pressure to clean the whole filter. And I don't want those tunnels of least resistance. If I'm going to carry a filter I want it to work to its full potential. .. At least the price is right if I ever decide I need a new one. Or I can just switch out with my wife's :)

Another thing to mention is cleaning it. When you clean it at home use water. If you do use bleach, use the smallest amount you can. The less amount of mineral deposit building up on the tunnels, the better off we will be. When drying leave the cap off of the filter. It might take this filter a couple of weeks to dry.

Dmax wrote:

After reading different reviews I have decided I will be carrying the syringe with me on any hikes overnight or longer. I don't want the filter to develop the "tunnels" of least resistance. I used to just blow through it. It cleaned it out good. But my blowing through might not have enough pressure to clean the whole filter. And I don't want those tunnels of least resistance. If I'm going to carry a filter I want it to work to its full potential. .. At least the price is right if I ever decide I need a new one. Or I can just switch out with my wife's :)

I will also put this suggestion in the DIY thread later with pics. I carried the syringe and it only took a couple of times to figure out this wasn't for me. Too much fumble-fartin' for me. So I just started taking in the biggest mouthful of water I could and blew back through the filter. 2, 3, 4 times. Now I have taken 2 soda/pop caps and glued them together top to top and drilled a hole the size of the output hole. Maybe just a hair bigger. Now I can take any coke or pepsi or whatever bottle which is what I carry as my drink as I hike water bottle and attach the cap to the bottle and the filter and just blast the hell out of it. Much more volume and flow and pressure than the stock syringe. The caps also fit on smart water bottles and platys. It's also a good way to fill your bottles without having to balance them in your lap trying to keep the stock spout in place. I'm thinking of doing basically the same thing with a soda bottle cap glued to a Gatorade cap just for filling.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

I like your back flush technique. I've seen tons of different caps people have made. Just haven't made one myself yet...I was worried it would turn into something like my stove building days. I had cans everywhere. At least with caps the wife wouldn't get as mad about the mess. .. I'll be watching for your pics.
    • Sawyer Squeeze

rocksNsocks wrote:

Some of my B-day items came in the mail over the last few days...one of which is a Sawyer Squeeze mini...I love gift cards. The mini came with one bag, a 16oz I believe...I'll need to order some larger ones as well.

You may want to go with a platypus. People have reported problems with the stock bags leaking. Because of this I haven't even tried mine, so I couldn't tell you about it first hand. I just opted out for platypus and didn't bother with the ones it came with. People also have said that Sawyer was made aware of the problem and addressed it in their newer models. I got mine right in the time frame of when all that was happening and didn't know which one I got so I just didn't risk it. Since you just got yours you probably have the new ones and may not have a problem. Have I put doubt in your mind? :ohmy: All you can do is try.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Sawyer Squeeze

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Some of my B-day items came in the mail over the last few days...one of which is a Sawyer Squeeze mini...I love gift cards. The mini came with one bag, a 16oz I believe...I'll need to order some larger ones as well.

You may want to go with a platypus. People have reported problems with the stock bags leaking. Because of this I haven't even tried mine, so I couldn't tell you about it first hand. I just opted out for platypus and didn't bother with the ones it came with. People also have said that Sawyer was made aware of the problem and addressed it in their newer models. I got mine right in the time frame of when all that was happening and didn't know which one I got so I just didn't risk it. Since you just got yours you probably have the new ones and may not have a problem. Have I put doubt in your mind? :ohmy: All you can do is try.
      the supplemental bags you can buy separately, for some reason, are more durable than the bags that come with the filter. in addition, you have to remebr topull the valve open so youre not forcing water through a closed valve, which is the main reason so many bags end up failing. the sawyer mini doesnt have this pull valve issue. so far i'm impressed with the mini.i do take a platypus 3l bladder for camp water, along with 2 of the smaller bags for use on the trail.either filter can also screw onto any bottle with a standard size cap thread.
      its all good
    • Re:Re: Sawyer Squeeze

I have the regular sawyer for about a year now. I use an evernew bottle and use the small sawyer bag with the end cut off as a bailer to fill the evernew . I use two of the smartwater bottles to carry water . To backlash i use two bottle caps glued back to back with a hole thru them. Just screw the caps to the smartwater bottle attach the output end to the filter and squeeze. Experiment and find what works for you.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

This is a serious post- so additional making fun of is probably required- but looked like time for the know it all in me to chime in-

The sawyer squeeze is the best filter technology available at this time. Assuming you want a filter (versus chemical, UV, au natural, or other) then you can't go wrong- mostly. I own and have used all of the above- I prefer a filter because of the speed, lack of chemicals, and because I like to mix drinks other than plain water.

Problems-
      It cannot be allowed to freeze(into the garbage if it does) and must be back-flushed to maintain flow.
      The freezing issue is a non-issue 80% of the time you are out unless you are Tipi- Walter. Even then, you can keep a mini in a jacket pocket in a ziplock bag when conditions are borderline. Backflush handled below.
      The bags suck and are prone to bursting- issue resolved below.
      You need a "dirty" bag and assuming you will not drink as you go; a clean receptacle to place the treated water in.
      The filter is not a pump- it cannot draw water. You can use it as a straw if you want to lie on your belly sucking water- but that is impractical for cooking, washing, etc. So you need a scoop of some type to fill the treatment bag on the AT. For flatlanders like me- you can simply dip the bag in your lake/stream/etc.

Size- two options now- mini or original. Keep it simple- Mini is for solo or short duration tandem trips. Any bigger group- use the original. If you only want to use it in gravity mode- then get the original size.

Solutions- (or how to use the damn thing)
      Day trips- use the mini as supplied- add a dipper cup as needed based upon your location. If the bag breaks- oh well- it's a dayhike.

Anything else it's time to get serious. The best set up I have found is an inline set up that can be modified for gravity feed (when you have time for that). I bought this to start prior to the mini's release-http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-3-Way-Inline-Water-Filter/dp/B0034VR8ES/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1391824610&sr=8-11&keywords=sawyer+water+filter

This setup comes with all the fittings you need to solve the problems above. The fittings themselves can be purchased seperately but are expensive. This package is the best starter package available. I added the mini at a later date.

To solve the bag problem- ditch the bags. I prefer platypus 3l bags. There is a microscopic difference between the 1l and the 3l in terms of weight- get the 3l. It also makes a better pillow and if you ever need that much water you can carry it. The drinking hose is actually the same weight as the bladder- but don't toss it out yet. This platy will become the permanent "dirty" bag. However you can also use it to hold water as well.

Inline conversion and backflush solution.-
      Simply cut the hose about 6" away from the bladder and attach the fittings. Although the inline comes with a male and female side, the mini does not. Without getting to detailed- set it up so that you have two male fittings on your filter of choice and two female fittings on your hose. 1- you can't accidentally hook up your "clean" drinking hose to a dirty bladder. 2- most importantly- you are now set up to backflush the filter by reversing it.

To backflush- the water doesn't have to be pristine- just filtered. Filter some water and reserve a pint or so. Put the clean water into your dirty bladder- reverse your filter- and squeeze the water through to backflush.

To treat your water-
      If conditions require you will need a bandana to pre-filter, and a scoop to pour water into your platy. A 1L plastic bottle with the top cut off seems to work best as mentioned. Although not mentioned- on the AT you may want to save the top part of the bottle and set it into the seeps and small flows like a funnel. Either way- get relatively sediment free water into your bladder- if it's filthy you can let it settle out for a bit in your bladder and simply dump off the last third. Your cook pot works too if you're a gram weenie- but a flexible scoop is a must on the AT in my opinion.

A better way to squeeze-
      Squeezing is mildly difficult, especially with a larger bladder. Traditional gravity feed works good- especially if you give it a few sucks to get the flow going. At a shelter or similiar spot you can simply put the dirty bag up on a bunk or cook shelf and let it filter into your container. The full 3' or so of hose seems to be needed to keep it moving- I see folks with a bag on their lap expecting the water to rush out with only a 12" drop.

The best gravity system is only possible with an inline water bladder system like described. Fill the bladder, put it down, and sit on it. I weigh 200lbs or so and have yet to have an issue. Doesn't get any easier than sitting on your ass. This also lets you filter fast and fill up your various clean containers as you go.

Clean water-
      On the move- simply fill up the dirty bag- head down the trail and suck on the hose to filter your water as needed. You can also filter right into your pot for meals if you don't want to carry any other clean container. On a side note- the pressure coming out of the filter when sitting on it lets you pinch the bite valve and use the water to do your dishes, irrigate a wound, or the bagillion other uses for mildly pressurized clean water.

On my full size set up I use a 4l platy tank as my dirty bag, and a clean 3l as my water container. I have it set up so that the hoses are reversed (fitting wise) and I can connect the 4L directly to the 3L and use it gravity style. Especially when car or base camping. I also bring a cap with some holes drilled in it to make a shower out of the tank.

My mini set up- I bring the 3L, hose with fittings, and a 1L smartwater bottle. An aquafina 1L bottle with the top cut off is just the right diameter to slide over the end of a 1L smartwater bottle to serve as a scoop. So if needed I can carry a gallon of water, and I have a bottle to mix Malto and other flavored drinks in. The smartwater caps also fit on the platybladders, so I carry a spare one to meet my needs.

At night- I put a smartwater cap on the platy and it makes a nice pillow.

I'm stuck at work- but I believe my current mini setup is roughly six ounces- all in. My original setup with tank, bladder, hoses, etc is about 12 ounces.

No bags, no syringe, no (brilliant) but silly caps glued together, no extra stuff.

If there is some interest I can try to get some pics up.
    • Sawyer Squeeze

bills linkage....
      http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-3-Way-Inline-Water-Filter/dp/B0034VR8ES/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1391824610&sr=8-11&keywords=sawyer+water+filter

good idea bill (the pipefittin), and yes my thoughts exactly on the using for shorter duration trips (all my trips are of a short nature) I'm not quite ready to kick my ole katahdin pump to the curb just yet. although it only filters down to 2 microns, still ain't got sick yet...i also use aqua mira cause I cannot afford to get a bug ...immuno suppressed due to meds I take.

Nice solution just bill, thank you,. I do have a couple questions though: sawyer claims that the bags can't generate the same pressure as the syringe to properly back flush the filter; since I don't have the ability to generate any anecdotal or empirical data myself (yet anyway), can you "see" any difference in using the bags to back flush vs. the syringe? Can you generate a little more pressure with the 3L platy? does using the bag to back flush decrease the life of the bag since I'm assuming you're putting more pressure on it? Also, on your mini setup - just curious as to why you wouldn't use a platy or ever new bladder instead of the smart water bottle (thinking backup if you're big platy were to break)? Guess the smart water could be a backup though?