Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sawyer Squeeze

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

Excellent! Good idea. Not only do you gain 2oz, in the filter you gain (x) amount of grains in one bottle cap.

Don't you mean 56.7 grams?

Putting it simply, I guess that's what I mean.
      One thing about a permanent mounting to the mini is what if the cap cracks or a piece breaks off. Now your stuck with jagged pieces on the filter. Then again as someone else mentioned at $20 your talking disposable. Then again you can "what if" anything to death.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Well I have been playing. You guys shamed me into the mini. Here is my new setup.

First the old setup. 6.0 oz for just the bailer/storage container, regular Sawyer Squeeze, and 32 oz bag. It worked good, but I was going to add a couple conveniences that I have added to the mini.

Here is the new setup. 4.1 oz with a few more bells and whistles. The storage container/ bailer and funnel is made out of a Poland Spring 50.7 oz bottle. I chose this because of the size, weight, and ribs that allow for locking storage.

Here are the parts laid out. Their function will be made clearer by the next picture.

The funnel is attached to the dirty bag using a Poland Spring cap and a Coke cap glued and drilled. I will use my bandana for a pre-filter when warranted. The filter has a plug in the dirty side. This is made out of a thin piece of plastic glued to the top of a Coke bottle. The clean side has a flip-top cap and a Zero Water adapter attached. The adapter is made out of a top of a Coke bottle and a Zero Water cap. The adapter has 4 tiny holes drilled in it to allow air to escape while filling. The small zip lock is for clean storage of the parts that go on the clean side of the filter.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

The post was edited 2 times, last by BirdBrain ().

• I like the funnel. I'm not sold on the multitude of caps. I sorta understand the necessity. I was thinking I could use my cap to cap in the same way. Funnel to dirty bag - and then cross contamination came to mind. Then I thought just rinse it good once the dirty bag is filled before connecting to the filter and good water bottle. I got a 2L Evernew water carrier on order. I heard the threading was better that the Platypus. The Platypus works but you have to be somewhat meticulous with it. It can't be too tight and it can't be too loose. I was told the threading on the Evernew's was like the threading on the Sawyer bags which work great but I think I have the old version and haven't even used them.
      You wouldn't happen to know how to tell the difference between the bags would you?
      I'm pretty sure I got the old ones because I got them at least 3 years ago and probably closer to 4. BBL
    • I am thinking of going to the Evernew bag as well. If I can copy enough of you guys, I will have a great system. I would only use it as a backup in sections where water is scarce. I like to carry Zero Water bottles on the front of my backpack straps as my primary water supply. Thus the choice of adapters I made. Platypus makers are idiots for their thread choice. I know nothing about the old Sawyer bags. I am rethinking my pre-filter method. Looking into screens that can be incorporated into the connectors. 25 micron would be fine for me. I just want to get the big chunks out before it gets to the filter.

As far as cross contamination goes, what water would you use to wash the caps? Stream water? Where would you get clean water to rinse it before you filter? I don't think there is a real issue though. Wipe them off and blow them dry. Critters don't live in the dry. They need water. If the caps are dried before you swap locations, you should be fine. I might be wrong. Not an issue for me. I will have separate adapters.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• I would use left over good water. Good to know about critters not being able to live dry. I'm thinking the funnel could also be used as a scoop if necessary. Looking forward to your screen idea.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

MM, there's a side-by-side comparison photo of the old and new Sawyer bags in this link. I have never had trouble with my Sawyer bags and only carry one. I also don't back flush regularly and never carry the syringe. Should I be?

backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/b…tml?forum_thread_id=72675

Very good. Thanks. I do have the old black ones. I'm sure I can use them if I don't try to squeeze them to death. And, I know they would work gravity style.
    • milkman wrote:

I would use left over good water. Good to know about critters not being able to live dry. I'm thinking the funnel could also be used as a scoop if necessary. Looking forward to your screen idea.

This is my first try. The new version is the one on the far left. The old one is next to it. It is made from a stainless steel reusable coffee filter. The screen pores are bigger than the 25 micron that I desired. However, I think it would serve my purposes. The screen was cut with a 1" gasket punch. The caps were bored out to 3/4". I will test flow rate when it cures.

• The flow rate is fine. I have to enlarge the vent holes on my Zero Water adapter a bit though.

ATM, I am curious about the gravity feed set up photos you posted. How do you avoid the vapor lock in the tornado tube? I would expect the air in the lower container to stop the flow of water like in this video. Start at 1:50.

That is why I drilled the vent holes in my Zero Water adapter. The bags don't require it as you can remove all the air before you start filtering. By the way. I ordered a 1.5 liter EverNew bag today. Thanks for the idea.

Note: I posted the wrong video at first.

• I don't screw the cap down tight on the bottom bottle. All I've ever done is screw the bottle on less than snug and back it off a ¼ turn or so. Not even. Like I said, with tap water it will filter 2L in 11½ min. I don't even notice a slow down from the first liter to the second one. I was wondering if there was a difference due to the weight of the water. I may test that to see if there is. You would think there would be but then again maybe not.
    • milkman wrote:

I don't screw the cap down tight on the bottom bottle. All I've ever done is screw the bottle on less than snug and back it off a ¼ turn or so. Not even. Like I said, with tap water it will filter 2L in 11½ min. I don't even notice a slow down from the first liter to the second one. I was wondering if there was a difference due to the weight of the water. I may test that to see if there is. You would think there would be but then again maybe not.

I posted the wrong video above. I fixed the link.

I resolved my venting issue by drilling holes in the lower cap. If you end up gluing a coke cap to the outlet side of the mini, I suggest you drill 4 1/16" holes in that cap on the sides near the top. It may take some tinkering, but if you get it right you can tighten the lower container and the flow will not be restricted. Leaving it loose might be easier. However, you know me. I don't like doing things the easy way.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

The flow rate is fine. I have to enlarge the vent holes on my Zero Water adapter a bit though.

ATM, I am curious about the gravity feed set up photos you posted. How do you avoid the vapor lock in the tornado tube? I would expect the air in the lower container to stop the flow of water like in this video. Start at 1:50.

That is why I drilled the vent holes in my Zero Water adapter. The bags don't require it as you can remove all the air before you start filtering. By the way. I ordered a 1.5 liter EverNew bag today. Thanks for the idea.

Note: I posted the wrong video at first.

Yes, yes, yes. Now I see what you're getting at. It don't work bottle to bottle. You gotta have a bag. It's a little bit of tinkerin' with bottles. You gotta squeeze the top bottle and the break the seal and let air back in. I remember it now. That's what prompted me to get the Platypus.
    • Here's 2 pics with the filter attached to a SmartWater bottle and a Platypus bag without anything attached to the bottom. the bottle will not let any water through due to vapor lock whereas the bag will.
      Images
      • Sawyer 001.JPG

723.11 kB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 438 times
      • Sawyer 002.JPG

713.64 kB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 453 times
    • milkman wrote:

Here's 2 pics with the filter attached to a SmartWater bottle and a Platypus bag without anything attached to the bottom. the bottle will not let any water through due to vapor lock whereas the bag will.

Had not thought of the top bottle. I was referring to the bottom bottle. Check this out. This is after waiting 1 minute. It will never drain into the bottle without a vent.

This picture does not show it well. The moisture in the bottle is because of tests I am running. Water is not flowing into the bottom bottle. This might be aided by the fact that I have a screen in the caps. Not sure. Either way, it drains well with vent holes drilled in the cap. It is not an issue while using collapsed bags.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• I like the funnel idea. I'm gonna pick up a mini this weekend to fool around with and modify. Might as well. Not gonna be doin' any real hikin' till middle of next month. Maybe a couple 3 day hikes here and there but nothin' to speak of. Probably gonna go with the glued on bottle cap. It looks like you could still use a SmartWater flip top also.
    • I have two Evernew 900 mL bags. Last time I used both for clean water when I had to carry a lot of water. But I spent a long time trying to fill that little Sawyer bag over and over. Will be rigging up a scoop or funnel as above and use one Evernew for dirty water. Maybe rig up a gravity system. Will that Smartwater spout fit on the Evernew bladder so I can ditch the syringe?
    • Re: Sawyer Squeeze

odd man out wrote:

I have two Evernew 900 mL bags. Last time I used both for clean water when I had to carry a lot of water. But I spent a long time trying to fill that little Sawyer bag over and over. Will be rigging up a scoop or funnel as above and use one Evernew for dirty water. Maybe rig up a gravity system. Will that Smartwater spout fit on the Evernew bladder so I can ditch the syringe?

It will fit. Cut the top off of the lawyer bag and use it as a bailer to fill the evernew.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

I have two Evernew 900 mL bags. Last time I used both for clean water when I had to carry a lot of water. But I spent a long time trying to fill that little Sawyer bag over and over. Will be rigging up a scoop or funnel as above and use one Evernew for dirty water. Maybe rig up a gravity system. Will that Smartwater spout fit on the Evernew bladder so I can ditch the syringe?

Don't ask me why but 2L Evernew bag took only 8 min. to run through the filter gravity style where the Platypus took 11½. Maybe it has something to do with a more complete fit. I even filled the bag completely full with no air and connected it to the filter that way to see if a vacuum could be created and it was not. It (the Evernew bag) is a nice product. They say it can even be frozen and used in that manner.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

It will fit. Cut the top off of the lawyer bag and use it as a bailer to fill the evernew.

Thanks. Need to go buy a water bottle, I guess. I think I'm going to go with the cut off water bottle as a bailer that doubles as a storage container. Last time I just put everything in a plastic grocery bag, and found that a but hard to manage/pack.
    • milkman wrote:

Got the Evernew bag today. Perfect fit to the Sawyer Squeeze.

Got my 1.5 liter Evernew today. gif.014.gif

I am glad I got the 1.5. I am not sure the 2.0 would have fit in my side pockets. :thumbsup:

Platypus, your company is toast once the word gets out on these things. Far superior bag. You guys better fix your threads before you go out of business. KillMe
    • BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

Got the Evernew bag today. Perfect fit to the Sawyer Squeeze.

Got my 1.5 liter Evernew today. gif.014.gif

I am glad I got the 1.5. I am not sure the 2.0 would have fit in my side pockets. :thumbsup:

Platypus, your company is toast once the word gets out on these things. Far superior bag. You guys better fix your threads before you go out of business. KillMe

Platypus is a real small part of Cascade Designs business. MSR, Thermarest and SealLine are their main thing.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Got the mini yesterday and attached a SmartWater cap to it. The cap has better threads than a coke bottle and has a ring style gasket instead of a full one like the cokes do and drilling through it was much easier. No gasket to grab the drill bit. Nice filter. For 20 bucks I saved $10 an ounce. Not bad I guess. Cheaper than pot.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

I resolved my venting issue by drilling holes in the lower cap. If you end up gluing a coke cap to the outlet side of the mini, I suggest you drill 4 1/16" holes in that cap on the sides near the top. It may take some tinkering, but if you get it right you can tighten the lower container and the flow will not be restricted. Leaving it loose might be easier. However, you know me. I don't like doing things the easy way.

milkman wrote:

Got the mini yesterday and attached a SmartWater cap to it. The cap has better threads than a coke bottle and has a ring style gasket instead of a full one like the cokes do and drilling through it was much easier. No gasket to grab the drill bit. Nice filter. For 20 bucks I saved $10 an ounce. Not bad I guess. Cheaper than pot.

ATM, I think I have messed you up. I should have completed my thought. You cannot drill holes in the Smart Water cap and still have the ability to effectively back flush your Sawyer Mini. When you try, water will fly out the drilled holes. My suggestion was intended only if you glue a Coke cap to the filter. That way you have venting for a gravity filter setup and retain the ability to back flush via a Smart Water cap. You might want to glue those holes shut and collapse the EverNew bag before you screw it to the filter for a gravity feed. :(
    • BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

Got the mini yesterday and attached a SmartWater cap to it. The cap has better threads than a coke bottle and has a ring style gasket instead of a full one like the cokes do and drilling through it was much easier. No gasket to grab the drill bit. Nice filter. For 20 bucks I saved $10 an ounce. Not bad I guess. Cheaper than pot.

ATM, I think I have messed you up. I should have completed my thought. You cannot drill holes in the Smart Water cap and still have the ability to effectively back flush your Sawyer Mini. When you try, water will fly out the drilled holes. My suggestion was intended only if you glue a Coke cap to the filter. That way you have venting for a gravity filter setup and retain the ability to back flush via a Smart Water cap. You might want to glue those holes shut and collapse the EverNew bag before you screw it to the filter for a gravity feed. :(

Sorry for such a late response. I haven't drilled any venting holes. I have only drilled one hole in the top of the cap that the outlet tube goes through. I still loosely hang a bottle for gravity feed and can put a bag or bottle on tightly for back flushing. I'll take some picks and show you my rig.