Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sawyer Squeeze

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Sawyer Squeeze

L&F and the rest of you-
      Screw sawyer. Anecdotally speaking- I find it hard to believe that putting 50lbs of body weight on a bag and flushing ½ liter of water is less effective than putting 2 ounces of water in a syringe. From my experience as an owner of an anti-freeze recycling company- volume is really the main concern when flushing a filter, not PSI. You only need enough incoming pressure to overcome the backpressure of the clogged filter. If you are horribly concerned- mimic the action of the syringe with the bladder by rolling it tight, eliminating all air, and applying a quick steady force (say with your foot or ass) to generate a higher PSI blast. (Although the sharp push would be hard on the bags or bladders) Empirically speaking-I’d rather not. I can assume are a recovering BPL member, as am I, and while hooking up a PSI gauge wouldn’t be that hard- it’s more than I care to deal with.
      The Sawyer 3-way kit I recommend comes with not a syringe, but an attachment for your kitchen sink or hose bib. Domestic water can be as low as 20psi, so I suppose that is enough according to sawyer.
      Real life-
      On the AT, I have never actually backflushed my filter. The water sources I select are pretty clean, and not that hard to find. At home, I have done it once per day as there is more sediment in the flatlands here at home. After a trip I hook it up to the faucet and let it run for a bit before storing it.
      Real life math- If a single user uses 4 gallons per day, for one week that is 28 gallons. A six month hike- 728 gallons. Assume you are abusing the filter and it only gets half it’s lifespan- 728 over a half million gallons means you have effectively used .1456% of the filter’s life. A four man group sharing the filter on a thru would barely break .5%. Even Swami would get a lifetime of use out of them.
      That said- you could clog it in one dirty job- hence the need to backflush. Even if you buy Sawyer’s “partially opened channels” explanation- the worst case scenario is that your filter is x% slower than normal- but still operational. Not that I believe in disposable gear- but these filters are cheaper than the pur hiker replacements I regularly purchased for years- so if I lose one to inadequate maintenance somehow I won’t be butthurt.
      A filter is just that- a fancy lint trap to physically catch stuff. But just like your dryer- if you forget to clean the trap or only partially clear it- the dryer won’t explode. For most folks- giving it a good cleaning after every trip is plenty. IF you know you are going to a bad area with high particulate in the water- then bring the syringe. I find little need even for a multi-week trip. The sink fitting could also be put in a bounce box for LD hikers.
      Platy bags-
      Still my hands down favorite, mainly because I have been abusing them in the manner described for years. Sit on a bag and use the pressure to wash your hair or take a billy bath. Slap it on the bench while car camping and kneel on it so you can wash hands or dishes. Replace your first aid kit syringe with the platy for wound irrigation. Let it sit in the sun to warm water, or pour a quart of near boiling water over a few quarts of cold into a Platy tank and you have a fine shower. My current oldest bag is about 10 years old. I have been abusing them since they first came out. I have only replaced a bladder because I screwed up and let the funk monster eat it and was too lazy to clean it. I never had a leak, failure, or issue until my son was born. He has since chewed up and/or spit out six bite valves. So while they suck for teething toddlers- they are the best bag in my opinion. Better than MSR, Camelback- which I have used and have failed me, no idea about evernew bags as they are not lighter and since I like the platy- I haven’t bothered. The sawyer bags have been the only major bladder of any brand to see such universal complaints and to have earned a lifetime ban in the circle of trust.
      Setups-
      Up until the mini launched I was very happy with the 3way. My long standing filter of choice was the PUR (katadyn) hiker. It weighed 12 ounces. (Socks- if I was packing for the zombie apocalypse then I would carry the Katadyn pocket filter- but otherwise it stays home) The 3way with hoses, water tank, 3l, and fittings weigh 12 ounces for a much better system and water storage thrown in. The larger filter, greater storage capacity, and versatility make it the best system period, with an inborn backup in case a bladder busts- but with the tank- it really can’t. I would likely take this system on the PCT or other water scarce trails because I could carry up to two gallons at a crack. The worst case is that the ziplock closure busts open- which does happen. But other than mashing a fitting under a stray hiking boot- you can’t screw it up. The larger original also gravity feeds much better simply because of the larger volume filter. I would never take the mini if there was more than one person along. 12 ounces divided by two is six ounces- no point in going any lighter for two folks unless you are setting a record.
      The only reason to take the mini is weight. It is NOT a better filter than the original. Since weight is the goal I wouldn’t tie my hands with backups you don’t need. The goal is to keep it light, roughly six ounces. I could use a bladder in lieu of the smartwater, but since I like to mix flavored drinks and Malto- I wouldn’t want to use a bladder since I can’t clean it or replace it if it gets gunked up with the funk.
      1- Use it as an inline or gravity filter and you can never break a bladder. You only need to squeeze if you’re in a hurry. Put it under one cheek or a knee if you want to play it safer than flat out sitting on it.
      2- If the bladder breaks- the patty fittings are compatible with the smart water bottle. If the bladder breaks on trail and you can’t find an immediate bladder replacement- you can pick up a 2l pop bottle to get you to the next town at any gas station or trailside picnic area garbage can.
      3- If all else fails I can use the mini with the hoses as a decent “straw filter” which sucks but will certainly do the job to prevent death from dehydration.
      4- If the whole damn thing goes to shit because my bladder breaks, squeezing the smartwater bottle cracks it, I suck water from a muddy puddle and didn’t bring the syringe- well I guess I just have to boil some water- but again I won’t die- so no big crisis.
      5- Although I don’t tell people because I am a light weight hiker- I secretly carry two mini dropper bottles of aquamira (one for a, one for b) that weigh under an ounce. I determined that one ounce is an acceptable luxury emergency backup.
      If you don’t care about weight and compact size- don’t take the mini. If you’re nervous or want to play it safe until you trust the system-adding a spare bladder to the mini setup (no hoses) would put you at around 9 ounces- again not a life altering weight. But I would rather have 1 ounce of Aquamira in case I run across that water source with the beaver’s copulating in it and nothing around for 10 miles in either direction. The sawyer is the best filter period- but as Socks pointed out- it’s still not a purifier. You could also slash the weight in half and use a mini dropper bottle full of bleach for gram weenie levels of safety if you are so inclined. My simple rule of thumb- take the simplest system possible, backup critical stuff- and realize that as long as a gear failure will not result in you losing your life- it’s not that big a deal- the absolute worst thing that can happen is that you have to cut your trip short or hitch to a town for a replacement.
      Stay (not) thirsty my friends!
    • Sawyer Squeeze

I've been using the Sawyer Squeeze and now the Mini for a number of years. Probably filtered a hundred gallons or more and never broke a bag. Maybe I'm a weakling.....I roll the mini up with the bag then slide it in a cut off water bottle. If the water is especially dirty use your bandanna as a prefilter. If standing, pinch your water bottle between your feet to steady it. If sitting use your knees.
      Images
      • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409252688.648524.jpg

278.25 kB, 765×1,024, viewed 438 times
      RIAP
    • Sawyer Squeeze

Astro wrote:

Trebor, based upon your old profile picture you definitely are not a weakling. In fact I thought that maybe you had played in the NFL or at least college football.

Haha, no football for me. Ice hockey and baseball were my sports. I've always been a big (tall) guy. Hit my growth spurt the summer between 9th and 10th grade. Started the 10th at 6'6" tall. The varsity basketball coach took one look and thought I was the answer to his prayers. He convinced me to try out for the team. I was so tall and lanky and just had a massive growth spurt I could hardly walk let along run and dribble at the same time. That poor coach sat in the bleachers and just cried......
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

Astro wrote:

Trebor, based upon your old profile picture you definitely are not a weakling. In fact I thought that maybe you had played in the NFL or at least college football.

Haha, no football for me. Ice hockey and baseball were my sports. I've always been a big (tall) guy. Hit my growth spurt the summer between 9th and 10th grade. Started the 10th at 6'6" tall. The varsity basketball coach took one look and thought I was the answer to his prayers. He convinced me to try out for the team. I was so tall and lanky and just had a massive growth spurt I could hardly walk let along run and dribble at the same time. That poor coach sat in the bleachers and just cried......

That is why really tall guys usually either love or hate basketball (not much middle ground).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I would get the 32 oz. 64 oz is huge. I use a 1 liter evernew to fill 1 liter smartwater bottles- I like them because they are very light and clear (let's me see if they are getting funky). I cut the top off of one of the sawyer 16 oz bags and use it as a bailer to fill the evernew.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • What makes the mini such a popular choice? I have the regular one and feel like I am missing something. Seems like everyone is getting the mini. The regular one is advertised as good for 1,000,000 gallons. The mini is advertised as good for 100,000. Having issues with filter life, I went with the larger one. What is the advantage of the mini?
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

What makes the mini such a popular choice? I have the regular one and feel like I am missing something. Seems like everyone is getting the mini. The regular one is advertised as good for 1,000,000 gallons. The mini is advertised as good for 100,000. Having issues with filter life, I went with the larger one. What is the advantage of the mini?

Newer.....smalller.....better :thumbsup:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

I finally get to be a cool kid with a Sawyer Mini. Scored one for $18 shipped. :D

ME TO, ME TO...............@ Walmart. But the 16oz bag is not going to cut it. should i get the pack-o-3 32oz or the 64oz pack-o-2?

dont get the bags, just buy a bladder.the screw on the platypus isnt an exact fit, but the bags are more durable. the filter also fits a standard soda or water bottle.
      its all good
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I would get the 32 oz. 64 oz is huge. I use a 1 liter evernew to fill 1 liter smartwater bottles- I like them because they are very light and clear (let's me see if they are getting funky). I cut the top off of one of the sawyer 16 oz bags and use it as a bailer to fill the evernew.

Pretty much the same with me. 1 L Evernew for dirty water (got tired of refilling the 16 oz bag it came with). Using 2x 20 oz gatorade bottles to drink from. I have another 1 L Evernew to fill if I have a long dry stretch or want to dry camp (plus it's a backup for the other). I've started to use a cheap thin water bottle with the top cut off as a bailing cup and also to store everything in. And I also have my new CF ditty bag from JJ! (woot woot).
    • CoachLou wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

What makes the mini such a popular choice? I have the regular one and feel like I am missing something. Seems like everyone is getting the mini. The regular one is advertised as good for 1,000,000 gallons. The mini is advertised as good for 100,000. Having issues with filter life, I went with the larger one. What is the advantage of the mini?

Newer.....smalller.....better :thumbsup:

Whereas it is not as detailed as your answer :whistling: , I thought you might be interested in this video.

• That's a pretty good video by Kaboose.
      Pretty much the same rig I've been using for quite some time.
      I posted about it awhile ago either here or TOS and Wild Bill
      downplayed the strength of the bond. But, I'll be damned.
      You'd have to take a hammer and chisel or screwdriver to get
      it apart. I used Gorilla Glue. You have to sand the tops with a
      course sandpaper to get a good bond. Maybe that's where
      some may have had a problem. I also made one to fit a Gatorade
      but there's really no need for it since it's not compatible with
      PowerAde or anything else. I just use the Coke to Coke setup
      and pout it into whatever bottle I'm using. The Coke caps will
      also fit the SmartWater bottles. So why carry multiple caps
      that do the same thing. I like the SmartWater bottles because
      I can reach them a lot easier in my pack pockets.
      In the pics I'm using the setup as a gravity filter. Using tap
      water it will filter 2L in 11½ min. I've never timed on the trail
      with dirty water but it's not much different as I can tell. It's
      always been done by the time I got done with setting up the
      tent or whatever. If you're in a hurry you can squeeze the bag
      and as you can see there it's pretty fast. I'm curious if anybody
      has made a gravity rig for the mini yet. I'm callin' you out BB.
      Why don't you see what you can come up with?
      Images
      • Sawyer Filter 009.JPG

703.9 kB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 469 times
      • Sawyer Filter 010.JPG

719.72 kB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 502 times
      • Sawyer Filter 011.JPG

688.69 kB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 1,088 times
      • Sawyer Filter 013.JPG

661.52 kB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 1,285 times
      • Sawyer Filter 012.JPG

713.21 kB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 421 times
      • Sawyer Filter 014.JPG

701.94 kB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 441 times
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • I didn't have much luck gluing together. However, I saw a trick someplace. Non-stick (teflon) skillit. Heat on low, both caps until the top just starts to melt. Pick em up and stick em together. Hide the evidence from the spouse.....
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • milkman wrote:

I'm curious if anybody

ATM, you already have your answer if you think about it. Kaboose showed you how to connect the mini to the bottom bag in the part of the video where he back flushed the filter. You already know how to hang the top bag. I assume you have punched holes and have string tied through the holes and hang the whole system by the strings. You know how to connect the filter to the top bag (just screw it on). All that is left is reinforcing the connection between the mini and the bottom receptacle. I suggest punching 2 more holes in your dirty bag near the threaded end and hanging the bottom receptacle from that. You would need the ability to adjust the height. Prusik knots or tent tensioner guy lines could work. Maybe use minibiners for fast connections for the guy lines. Hopefully this is clear. If not, ask and I will explain further.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

I'm curious if anybody

ATM, you already have your answer if you think about it. Kaboose showed you how to connect the mini to the bottom bag in the part of the video where he back flushed the filter. You already know how to hang the top bag. I assume you have punched holes and have string tied through the holes and hang the whole system by the strings. You know how to connect the filter to the top bag (just screw it on). All that is left is reinforcing the connection between the mini and the bottom receptacle. I suggest punching 2 more holes in your dirty bag near the threaded end and hanging the bottom receptacle from that. You would need the ability to adjust the height. Prusik knots or tent tensioner guy lines could work. Maybe use minibiners for fast connections for the guy lines. Hopefully this is clear. If not, ask and I will explain further.

I do have holes punched in the bottom of the "dirty" bag. I understand what you are saying about the bottom receptacle. I'm looking for some type of universal plug and hang type rig. Simplicity is the key word.
    • In 2012 section apr Springer to may Damascus (trail daze) carried the sawyer. In 500 miles did not see anyone carrying this filter, and was asked quite often..."what is that'? Used the 1ltr sawyer bag without fail the whole way, still have it (looks like it rode the Chisum trail) and STILL functioning. Evernew 2ltr camel for camp and 1ltr smart for daytime. The sawyer did all collection and squeezing. Forward to 2013. Damascus to Harpers, prolly 75-85% of hikers encountered carried the sawyer. EXPLOSION! The only dissapointment I have to date was in Daleville where we had a failure after just couple weeks use on new filter. When company was contacted, they refused to replace the "new" filter. So just pony up the bucks for a new one. Guess a lemon rolls out every now and then. The funny thing was, the dang bag was still going? :)
    • milkman wrote:

I do have holes punched in the bottom of the "dirty" bag. I understand what you are saying about the bottom receptacle. I'm looking for some type of universal plug and hang type rig. Simplicity is the key word.

Kaboose showed the best connection. There are no threads on the clean end of the mini. Compression is enough for a back flush, but a basket hang will be necessary insurance for a hang. I don't see it getting any simpler because there are no threads on that end. I will give it more thought.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

Kaboose showed the best connection. There are no threads on the clean end of the mini. Compression is enough for a back flush, but a basket hang will be necessary insurance for a hang. I don't see it getting any simpler because there are no threads on that end. I will give it more thought.

I will too. But the ability and versatility of the original squeeze has me in not such a hurry to make a change. 2 glued together bottle caps has eliminated the syringe and allows me to gravity filter. I am thinkin' though.
    • milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I will give it more thought.

I will too. But the ability and versatility of the original squeeze has me in not such a hurry to make a change. 2 glued together bottle caps has eliminated the syringe and allows me to gravity filter. I am thinkin' though.

I have another idea. Get a bottle cap. Drill a hole in it the diameter of the nipple on the clean side of the mini. Glue the cap to the clean side of the mini. The mini will function the same as before. The only difference is now you have a female threaded connector that can be screwed onto a bottle or platypus.

The post was edited 1 time, last by BirdBrain ().

• backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/b…hread_id=82855&startat=20

I like to give credit where credit is due. I searched the web and someone had already thought of my idea. I came up with it on my own.... a year later than someone else. Scroll down a bit and you will see the flip-top smart water idea too.

I like the flip-top connection. I do not gravity feed though.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I will give it more thought.

I have another idea. Get a bottle cap. Drill a hole in it the diameter of the nipple on the clean side of the mini. Glue the cap to the clean side of the mini. The mini will function the same as before. The only difference is now you have a female threaded connector that can be screwed onto a bottle or platypus.

Excellent! Good idea. Not only do you gain 2oz, in the filter you gain (x) amount of grains in one bottle cap.
    • milkman wrote:

It looks like you could also leave the tethered protector tip on.

Here is a nice write up. Notice the green plug for the dirty side of the filter. If you glue the cap to the clean side, you could make plugs like this for both sides and ditch the tethered cap. I would color code the plugs.

steepmyog.blogspot.com/2012/02…ltrationpurification.html

Here is a video on one way to make the plugs.

This method is not perfect. It does not allow for mini nipple length. I think it is right concept. Green cap version in blog has excess material.

The post was edited 2 times, last by BirdBrain ().

• BirdBrain wrote:

backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/b…hread_id=82855&startat=20

I like to give credit where credit is due. I searched the web and someone had already thought of my idea. I came up with it on my own.... a year later than someone else. Scroll down a bit and you will see the flip-top smart water idea too.

I like the flip-top connection. I do not gravity feed though.

Good find. You still thought of it. I like the flip top idea too but I would mount it permanent to allow for gravity filtering. It looks like you could also leave the tethered protector tip on. I like the comment about somewhere in a cubicle is a Sawyer design guy saying I told you so.