Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinhoti trail Adams gap to Cheaha ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

One other suggestion ... Instead of having your things divided up into a lot of different bags, combine them into just a few bags.

...and, why not wear the same clothes for two days?
      Yeah, I have worn the same clothes everyday for 7 weeks.
      You know you're a hiker when its fun to be funky/skunky. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I removed 5 pounds of items...

The only spare clothes I'm taking is underwear and socks.

I'm figuring on 3 days of hiking. I know its only 10 miles, but I figure I'll be wheezing for the first day and not cover much ground. If I get to the top of the stairway I'll be happy.

I will likely carry 3 water bottles instead of the metal canteen. When empty they will weigh much less.

Maybe I'll surprise myself, and make it in two days. But I very much doubt it.
      Sorry, I understood that you took out 1/2 of your snacks which weighed 5lbs, which leaves 5lbs in your pack.
      Slow and easy is a good approach to take! Just have fun.

I draw the line at wearing my underwear more than two days in a row. :)
      Otherwise, I also wear the same clothes everyday.

My first trip overseas aboard ship, the one of the evaps failed. No fresh water from that one until we went in the ship yard. The other evaporator was for the ship's steam plant. So we had to cut back on water for drinking, showering, washing clothes, etc. for 6 weeks.

We got in a small storm shower on the way back to the states. A bunch of the guys ran up onto the main deck, soaped up, and the rain stopped. The Executinve Officer had to beg for the Captain to turn the showers on long enough for them to clean up. It took over an hour, but he relented.

The rest of us thought they were funny and got shafted, they felt we got shafted. Some of us were mistaken, you can choose which ones. :)
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

...............Maybe I'll surprise myself, and make it in two days. But I very much doubt it.
      Let me make a suggestion.
      Even if you can make it in 2 days don't.
      Being in nature, away from the normal routine and it's stress and aggravation, can be a medicine like no other and will boost both your physical and mental well being. At least that's my experience.
      I hope you have a great trip and I can't wait to hear how it goes.
    • The repair kit made by Coghlan's went up from $1.97 to $3.97 per package. Wallyworld also sells a tent repair kit without the seam sealer... but the seam sealer next to it, sold separately for your convenience, is water based. Seam sealing completed.

I have noticed that this tent is mostly a mosquito netting 'room', with a rain fly and a solid floor. Kinda breezy and I wouldn't want to be in it for freezing weather.
      --
    • For silnylon use 100% silicone caulk diluted with mineral spirits for seam sealer. I buy the squeeze tube (looks like toothpaste tube) from HD or Lowes. Squeeze in a cup add mineral spirits stirring until it is like paint. Brush it on with small disposable brush. It will thicken quickly in the cup so just mix a little at a time and add mineral spirits when it thickens.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • JimBlue wrote:

...........I have noticed that this tent is mostly a mosquito netting 'room', with a rain fly and a solid floor. Kinda breezy and I wouldn't want to be in it for freezing weather.
      The tent doesn't keep you warm in cold weather, that's the job of your sleeping bag, quilt, or clothes, or all 3.
      The tent is to keep you dry and be a wind block in cold weather.
    • Well... I'll have to disagree. The tent, sleeping bag, and my clothes keep me warm in cold weather. I think I can adjust it so the fly is closer to the gorund, its about 1 to 2 nches above the gorund as I wait for the seam sealer to dry. We might have some silicone caulk, but my relatives aren't sure where it is. The teenagers like to pick things up and move them.

I've been in canvas tents that had air gaps along the bottom from the ground, no floor in it. And I didn't like the cold wind on my neck. I couldn't sleep. I do have a large, fairly light, nylon tarp I can put under the tyent and bring it up over, and it might reach the top. Guy line it with some of the knots I probably remember from Boy Scouts, so it wont flop arund too much. I'm not taking the huge 'nail' tent pegs, nor the light ones that bend very easily.

This trip is mostly a test of myself and my gear.

I still have the pdf on how to make a tarp tent, if I have problems with this tent. I had actually thought of taking the Gander Mt. tent, which I have to sleep in diagonally, as it is able to block wind from two of the 4 windows, and the rain fly takes care of the other two.

I can sleep better if I don't have wind, cool or hot, blowing across my face and neck. If its what I have to deal with, I will. I've endured a hurricane at sea, and several on land, the walking is the only part that I feel will be trying on this trip.

The area I picked to hike on, albeit very rough, is surrounded by roads. I just have to be careful of the streams.
      --
    • your pad will have a lot to do with how warm you'll be. Spring and fall I bring a 1/8" thick x 20" wide x 60" long foam pad from gossamer gear to add to my inflatable pad. Nice thick socks, silk or polyester long johns and a nice watch cap or baclava or that other tube like dohickey thing that I can't every remember the name of keep me toasty
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Balaclava ?

It sholdn't be cold, but I'm taking a flannel shirt, a pair of wool socks ( Morino wool that go almost up to my knees ), a knit cap, and a half-size flannel blanket. The blanket can cover me from the waist down to my toes. Doubt I'll need them though.
      --
    • Sorry to hear that JB. Here's a link to a web site where you can list all your stuff and the weights. It will help you see where you can make improvements. You could fill out one and post it here and we could make some suggestions as to what you could change. geargrams.com

You should be able to have a base weight of about 15 pounds fairly easily.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • JB if you don't have one, go to Wallyworld and buy a $12 digital scale in the pots and pans department to weigh each item in your kit. Sometimes you can take an item and cut some things off it to lighten it. You are probably packing too many "what if" items.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

JB if you don't have one, go to Wallyworld and buy a $12 digital scale in the pots and pans department to weigh each item in your kit. Sometimes you can take an item and cut some things off it to lighten it. You are probably packing too many "what if" items.
      Great advice! Helped in me getting down from 35 to 15 lb.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • My sister has a food scale. I weighed my pack this morning on a person scale. It weighs 56 pounds. That isn't including my sleeping bag, which I wasn't going to take, and I had forgotten things I was going to take. Like my fuel bottle for my Whisperlite. And the trowel.

I have four 1 liter water bottles. Three 500ml bottles of zero power ade as I could only find sugary gator ade powder. Thats 12 pounds right there.

Probably too many spare batteries. AA and AAA. One flashlight in my pocket, small. Another in the pack along with a windup flashlight.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

My sister has a food scale. I weighed my pack this morning on a person scale. It weighs 56 pounds. That isn't including my sleeping bag, which I wasn't going to take, and I had forgotten things I was going to take. Like my fuel bottle for my Whisperlite. And the trowel.

I have four 1 liter water bottles. Three 500ml bottles of zero power ade as I could only find sugary gator ade powder. Thats 12 pounds right there.

Probably too many spare batteries. AA and AAA. One flashlight in my pocket, small. Another in the pack along with a windup flashlight.
      I wouldn't take any spare batteries.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Due to laser surgery on my retinas, I don't see great at night. I wouldn't fall off a cliff or anything like that, but I don't see lots of detail unless I have a bright light to see it with. I might be able to find time later tonight to weigh some of my stuff.
      --
    • I needed to do better on what I put in my pack. While the items I double packed were light weight. I didn't need 2 of them. Did that more than once.

Probably added 2 or 3 pounds doing that.

I'll try Fletchers idea of placing everything on a table in the location that approximates it's location in the pack. Have to clear a space so I can get a folding table in my room.
      --
    • I'll have to check my items again... I got 44 pounds and 11.1 ounces by weighing each item as I took it out of the pack. I may not have weight the duplicates, but 12 pounds couldn't be in the duplicates. Those turned out to be less than a pound.

The extra batteries weighed about 5 ounces.

The water bottles are the heavy items, and the pack.
      --
    • I have a complete list, not typed but hand written, if you all want to look at it. I would have to type it up.

My thought is I should pack my backpack with just certain items; tent 2 pounds 12.1 ounces, sleeping bag not taken nor weighed, stove 12.9 ounces, fuel/bottle 1 pound 7.7 ounces, tent pegs not weighed, ground cloth 13.7 ounces, tp not weighed, flashlight 4.2 ounces, cookset 11.2 ounces, tiny first aid kit 3.7 ounces. insulated pad 1 pound 1.0 ounces (not certain this is accurate). Things not weighed probably 1 to 2 pounds more.

Then see how much that weighs, and decide what I'll be adding to that.

My cookset is a small pot to boil water and 2 small cups that fit inside. Each cup weighs 2.8 ounces. So I have now taken one out.

Jansport pack; 5 pounds, 11.3 ounces

The snacks weighed less than I had estimated.

one 20 fluid ounces Zero power ade weighs 1 pound 6.2 ounces. my base plate comapss weighs 1.3 ounces. I have a button compass I haven't weighed.

Rain jacket weighs 11.4 ounces. Didn't weigh the rain pants. Came as a set made by Coleman.

windup flashlight, that charges batteries, weighs 6.8 ounces; washcloth 1.9 ounces; sparkling ice bottle of water is 1 pound 1.5 ounces.

each small bottle of instant breakfast is 10.0 ounces. I have it in powder form, but haven't weighed those. 30 ounces is almost 2 pounds. So pack the powdered ones next time. My small binocs 8.7 ounces.

The 1 serving mountain house entrees differ in weight; beef stew 2.5; rice and chiken 2.9; chili mac 2.3 ounces.

The topo map is 7 ounces. Scrubby 0.6. filters and containers with them 11.3.
      --
    • JB your food and drinks are not part of your base weight. If you switched to an alcohol stove you could save lot. I think my cat can stove was .2 oz and it uses 1 oz of fuel per hot meal. Also your ground cloth is way heavy. A piece of polycro will weigh 2 ozs. I get mine from home depot, StormKing patio door sealing kit. Leave the wind up flashlight at home and just use the headlamp kind that goes on your head and uses 3 AAA batteries and carry 3 extras. You could get a nice 2 lb pack at REI garage sale or look on bAckpackinglight.com lots of gear for sale there. Driducks makes a light cheap rainsuit. There I think thats at least 4 pounds cut out of your weight for not much money.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • JimBlue wrote:

I have a complete list, not typed but hand written, if you all want to look at it. I would have to type it up.

My thought is I should pack my backpack with just certain items; tent 2 pounds 12.1 ounces, sleeping bag not taken nor weighed, stove 12.9 ounces, fuel/bottle 1 pound 7.7 ounces, tent pegs not weighed, ground cloth 13.7 ounces, tp not weighed, flashlight 4.2 ounces, cookset 11.2 ounces, tiny first aid kit 3.7 ounces. insulated pad 1 pound 1.0 ounces (not certain this is accurate). Things not weighed probably 1 to 2 pounds more.

Then see how much that weighs, and decide what I'll be adding to that.

My cookset is a small pot to boil water and 2 small cups that fit inside. Each cup weighs 2.8 ounces. So I have now taken one out.

Jansport pack; 5 pounds, 11.3 ounces

The snacks weighed less than I had estimated.

one 20 fluid ounces Zero power ade weighs 1 pound 6.2 ounces. my base plate comapss weighs 1.3 ounces. I have a button compass I haven't weighed.

Rain jacket weighs 11.4 ounces. Didn't weigh the rain pants. Came as a set made by Coleman.

windup flashlight, that charges batteries, weighs 6.8 ounces; washcloth 1.9 ounces; sparkling ice bottle of water is 1 pound 1.5 ounces.

each small bottle of instant breakfast is 10.0 ounces. I have it in powder form, but haven't weighed those. 30 ounces is almost 2 pounds. So pack the powdered ones next time. My small binocs 8.7 ounces.

The 1 serving mountain house entrees differ in weight; beef stew 2.5; rice and chiken 2.9; chili mac 2.3 ounces.

The topo map is 7 ounces. Scrubby 0.6. filters and containers with them 11.3.
      I didn't add all these but it doesn't seeme like it would weigh 50+ lbs.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I have burned myself with a Sterno. Stove. So I would rather keep the msr. Stove. Apparently I don't see the flame easily and that was years before any eye problems.

I think I can get it down to 30 pounds total including food and water. I'll get something of a more exact weight to test the person scale accuracy. I just don't see how there could be a 12 pound difference. I expected a 3 pound difference at the most.
      --