Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinhoti trail Adams gap to Cheaha ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pinhoti trail Adams gap to Cheaha ?

using back country navigator I get about 10 miles. Is that about right ? Is it rocky or fairly clear trails ? I saw mention on YouTube of 'stair way to heaven' and I wondered if that was this part of the trail or not. Thanks !
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.

The post was edited 1 time, last by JimBlue ().

• My NFS topo says 10 miles. Another source says 11.3 miles. This is from Adam's Gap trailhead to Cheaha SP trailhead.

And part of the hike does contain the 'stairway to heaven'.

Looking at the altitude profile on the Pinhoti Trail NFS map, it goes a short distance, then climbs around 1,000 feet in a fairl short distance, then several downs and ups until it comes to Cheaha trailhead. Cross the road, then goes to the shelter. I'll likely go form Adam's Gap to the Cheaha SP store.

What are the water conditions in the fall ? Should I carry extra water, say a gallon ? I realize it is 'only' 10 miles, but I figure it will take me two days of short hikes, and one day in the middle. If it was flat, I could do it in one day. Well, I could do 10 miles in one day back a few decades ago, this will probably take me 3 days of walking to get the 10, or 11.3, miles done.
      --
    • Got my equipment list together. I plan on taking my time. Part of a day, a night, a day of hiking, and a night, arrive at the Cheaha SP parking lot. Yes, its only 10, or 11.3, miles. But I will be taking my time. Its possible it will take less time. But my experiences with 1.2 miles and me being exhausted tells me that this could take several days. I intend to walk around the backyard with heavier and heavier loads... I'll see how that turns out.

I'm taking plenty of water, but I would like to know what the water situaiton is for those few miles.
      --
    • I checked with the Pinhoti Trail Association on FB. No water for most of this part of the PT in the fall. I have a one gallon canteen; one 16oz,two 32oz filyers bags; and I can carry some bottled water. So that ont be concern. And I'll have a case of water waiting in the car.

I figure 2 nights. Two partial days and one day of hiking. I'll take 4 entrees and snacks for 5 days and a full fuel bottle just in case I have to slow down even more.

I plan on exercising with pack on my back in the backyard for some amount of time, probably two weeks. Try out my new tent. Get some white gas, not just Coleman white gas with additives. I think that Coleman stuff is cloging my stove.

Anyone want to make this short journey with me ?
      --
    • i don't know anything about alabama except i think they kinda like football so i can't help re the pinhoti.

if i understand correctly, there is no water this section so you are planning to carry 2 days worth of water? water is heavy and takes up a lot of space.

if this was my trip i'd pick another section that had water and come back and do this in the spring when the seasonal water sources are running.

are there any forest service roads that cross the trail where you could cache some water?
      2,000 miler
    • No forest service roads on the map. It's a short distance. I have to fit in the hike with what my relatives can do to drop me off. There is one water source and some small springs. Only the water source is likely to be there. So no water for half of it. About 5 miles. I can handle that.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

The Pinhoti. Trail association says that is the toughest part south of Cheaha.
      It is the toughest part south of Cheaha Mt, lots and lots of rocks, toughest part of the trail in AL IMO is Oakley Mt, 1000 ft elevation gain in one mile, not that bad in cool weather but it hurts when the weather is warm.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I drove down the Adma's Gap Trailhead this morning. I noticed the 'END South 281' highway sign... another car that drove up about 20 minutes later didn't, but they managed to stop before driving off into the brush.

I took some photos, but my laptop/Win8.1 doesn't like my old digital camera flash drive. Its only a gigabyte, but it should still read it. I'll try a cable and see if that fixes it.

I walked a short bit of the Pinhoti Tral, going south from the Cheaha Trailhead. Took a video and some photos with my cell phone.

I'll dig through the photos and one video and post some layer today.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

I drove down the Adma's Gap Trailhead this morning. I noticed the 'END South 281' highway sign... another car that drove up about 20 minutes later didn't, but they managed to stop before driving off into the brush.

That road keeps going down to Porter's Gap, one beautiful day I did what we did every Saturday afternoon when I was young and the cops were forgiving, I iced down a 6-pack and did a slow ride down this dirt road/trail, blackberries were ripe and hanging close enough to pick them from the jeep as I road by...beer and berries...they paired well.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Looked like a dead end for 281. There is a paved road that goes off to the left, I think its Adam's Gap Road.

Google maps says there is County road 600-2 there, but all I saw was brush. But several vehicles were blocking my complete view. The car slamming on their brakes, and turning to go down Adam's Gap Road convinced me it was blocked.

Adam's Gap TH is about 6.5 miles down from the Cheaha SP store. I passed by the Turnipseed TH on the way there.

Checking street view, it looks very much open road.

Here is the street view link. The street view, if it is current, shows I'm mistaken.

google.com/maps/place/Cheaha+W…992!4d-85.8271855!6m1!1e1
      --
    • I tried a pre-trip backpack filler. Got the basics in; tent pegs, stove, first aid kit, socks, underwear, shorts, entrees for supper, and very likely way to many snacks for the distance. I haven't weighed it, but I doubt I want to walk around the back yard with it on my back.

Not taking a sleeping bag, as its still hot at night. Tent will fit just fine at the top of the pack. The pad will work on the outside to.

I'll take much of the stuff out, and do some walking around the non-level, but not hilly, back yard.
      --
    • Nope. I made a short list .. then ignored it. After my relatives get back from a trip. I'll lighten it up significantly. I can take about half the snacks out. That will reduce the weight by about 5 pounds. My sibling has a food scale and a person scale. So I can weigh most of the items and the total.

I don't mind advice.
      --
    • Put trash in them in them like empty MH entree bags... bring them home. Put them in the trash cans for pickup. I wont be taking any soda cans, etc. along so I don't neec to worry about recycling. Actually, I'm kinda puzzled by your question.

Can't get out there this weekend, too many conflicting things going on.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

Put trash in them in them like empty MH entree bags... bring them home. Put them in the trash cans for pickup. I wont be taking any soda cans, etc. along so I don't neec to worry about recycling. Actually, I'm kinda puzzled by your question.

Can't get out there this weekend, too many conflicting things going on.
      Just wondering...
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I haven't added the tent, trekking poles, sleeping bag ( possibly cooling off next week), rain jacket, sleeping pad, and water.

Current weight is 29 pounds.

There is a bubble level on the person scale, so I just slowly moved the slide until the bubble was centered. Let it stop moving and read off the weight. The scale hasn't been certified in any way.

I think I can remove more weight from what I have, and then add in the items I need to sleep in/under.
      --
    • I trimmed a few things out of the list... I'm using the Jansport pack.

Everything is packed, tent fits inside the sleeping pad. That two item roll will be attached to the frame at the top. No room for the one gallon canteen unless I strap it on the outside of the pack. Most of the bulk is sacks. Five MH entrees.

I'll go ovber the list again, after I weigh the pack as it is, and decide what to leave out.

I was going to use two of the hard plastic containers with the gaskets and snap lids. But they are too heavy and I switched those items to zip lock bags.
      --
    • I'm not diabetic and don't know what food is essential for you but 5lbs of snacks and 5 MH meals sounds excessive for 2 days.

Not saying it's the right way to do things...in fact I'm sure it's wrong...but my practice is to stick closely with what I eat at home, add a few extra snacks, and slightly increase my dinner portion.

Thats pretty much my philosophy for a lot of my packing. Do you fill 4 garbage bags of trash in 2 days at home? Probably not, so you really don't need that many in your pack.
    • I removed 5 pounds of items...

The only spare clothes I'm taking is underwear and socks.

I'm figuring on 3 days of hiking. I know its only 10 miles, but I figure I'll be wheezing for the first day and not cover much ground. If I get to the top of the stairway I'll be happy.

I will likely carry 3 water bottles instead of the metal canteen. When empty they will weigh much less.

Maybe I'll surprise myself, and make it in two days. But I very much doubt it.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

I removed 5 pounds of items...

I'm figuring on 3 days of hiking. I know its only 10 miles, but I figure I'll be wheezing for the first day and not cover much ground. If I get to the top of the stairway I'll be happy.

I will likely carry 3 water bottles instead of the metal canteen. When empty they will weigh much less.

Sorry, I understood that you took out 1/2 of your snacks which weighed 5lbs, which leaves 5lbs in your pack.

Slow and easy is a good approach to take! Just have fun.

I draw the line at wearing my underwear more than two days in a row. :)
      Otherwise, I also wear the same clothes everyday.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I removed 5 pounds of items...

Go with confidence.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Well I guessed that half the snacks would be 5 pounds. But I took out much more than half of them. I had around 15 packages of the Belvita. snacks crackers. I dropped it to one per day. 4 crackers per day.

I have a package of nuts and dark chocolate. I will be using that to help maintain my blood sugar.

Also taking about 10 small granola bars. And plenty of tp.
      --
    • I put a liter of water, a liter of zero power aide, and almost everything else, into my pack. Probably 2-4 pounds more to add.

My pack weighs 36.0 pounds right now. And I weigh 223.6 pounds. I'm almost at my target weight of 215 pounds for myself.

Unlike a year ago, my pack doesn't feel heavy so I start wheezing. But I have walked more in the past 12 month than I had in the previous 5 years.

I might add another liter of water after I get to the trail head. i.e. 2 botles of half a liter each.
      --