Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

ATC announces New Phone App

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• it wasn't that many years ago when wingfoot was encouraging hikers to leave their cells at home. and went on to say that if you take em then use em like you're going to the bathroom -- no one should see ya and no one should hear ya. and at the time that was a position taken by many.

i can hear wingfoot muttering "i told ya so"...
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

it wasn't that many years ago when wingfoot was encouraging hikers to leave their cells at home. and went on to say that if you take em then use em like you're going to the bathroom -- no one should see ya and no one should hear ya. and at the time that was a position taken by many.

Like Dylan said "the times they are a changin".
      Of course sometimes for the better. And sometimes not
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

it wasn't that many years ago when wingfoot was encouraging hikers to leave their cells at home. and went on to say that if you take em then use em like you're going to the bathroom -- no one should see ya and no one should hear ya. and at the time that was a position taken by many.

Like Dylan said "the times they are a changin".Of course sometimes for the better. And sometimes not
      yeah, like when we had serious debates over what type of camera was best -- digital or film.

that doesn't come up very often any more. :)
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Like Dylan said "the times they are a changin".Of course sometimes for the better. And sometimes not
      [IMG:https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58116092.jpg]
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • JimBlue wrote:

well. Ya don't have to buy or use the app.
      that's true. the point is that once upon a time cellphone use in the backcountry was considered by some to degrade the backcounty experience not only for the user but for everyone else who observed the user on his phone. we have now gone full circle with the ATC co-partnering to develop a smart phone app.

i don't agree with the above, just pointing out the irony.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

yeah, like when we had serious debates over what type of camera was best -- digital or film.
      that doesn't come up very often any more. :)
      Digital won on every level
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

yeah, like when we had serious debates over what type of camera was best -- digital or film.that doesn't come up very often any more. :)
      in retrospect its seems strange that it was even an issue.

i didn't have a dog in that fight; i hate to stop and take pictures.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

yeah, like when we had serious debates over what type of camera was best -- digital or film.that doesn't come up very often any more. :)
      in retrospect its seems strange that it was even an issue.
      i didn't have a dog in that fight; i hate to stop and take pictures.
      I recall the first digital cameras having some drawbacks mostly due comparatively low resolution and high upfront cost. Of course those problems are a thing of the past, the camera in my Iphone is better than the $1,500 digital camera my friend bought in 2002.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

in retrospect its seems strange that it was even an issue.i didn't have a dog in that fight; i hate to stop and take pictures.
      I recall the first digital cameras having some drawbacks mostly due comparatively low resolution and high upfront cost. Of course those problems are a thing of the past, the camera in my Iphone is better than the $1,500 digital camera my friend bought in 2002.
      i think storage was an issue. film is easy, mail the full roll home and buy a new roll in any grocery or drug store. getting a new memory card required a bit more planning.
      2,000 miler
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

[IMG:https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58116092.jpg]
      Ah, but could Bob Dylan play Jazz Flute like Ron Burgundy? :P
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General