Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

And I'm Off

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Well, now sitting here waiting on my flight. Security was a breeze, not sure what everyone gets so worked up for. Was entertaining to see one or two meltdowns for lack of preparedness.

Although I am a little disappointed in Dulles, there's not a diet Dr Pepper anywhere! :cursing:

And another musical number... A classic --
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • A fine Dublin band...

And Tuesday evenings supper

It's about 2:50am Wednesday morning here and wide awake. I crashed and burned about 8pm. Not too bad I guess.

Relaxed and uneventful flight. It was my first, and what struck me as we ascended was all of the lights -- buildings, houses, cars -- looked like strings if Christmas lights strung along the ground.

Well, landed at Dublin airport and lined up at immigration. Watched all those ahead of me get the third degree from officers, and I went over my answers in my he'd so I wouldn't sound like a dumba$$.

Soon enough it's my turn, I hand over my landing card and the passport and get the business or pleasure question. AND THEN!...

The officer says, "I see you're from Bobby Lee country." I'm a little dumbfounded and quickly realize what he is saying and... "Well, yes I am." And right then my interview turns into a conversation about great Confederate generals, the Civil War, Virginia and I scored points for mentioning Irish born generals and those if Irish descent.

Not a single immigration question, but the officer had a big smile and was near giddy as he stamped my passport and welcomed me to the Republic. Smile108 gif.004.gif
    • Well...

Started my day with a full Irish breakfast --

Oh my god! I'm was so bloated after that. The black pudding was pretty good and the bacon was amazing.

After breakfast I went to the Book if Kells and the Long Library --

And saw THE! Irish harp --

Found Sheridan's Cheesemongers and got a few grams of Irish blue cheeses, a Cashed and a Crozier... Mmmmmm...
      sheridanscheesemongers.com

Visited a Georgian period house museum, and visited a small exhibit on the Irish experience in the Great War, and the National Museum of Archeology & History.

Found the local knitting store and found the Aran Sweater Market.

odd man out wrote:

Here's a hint. Avoid Chinese food in Ireland. That was a mistake. I don't know what we were thinking. I think it was in Trim.

Nope, no Chinese food, but I found the local Mexican joint. It wasn't bad but it wasn't so good either. My burrito was rather bland and lacking in most if the spices necessary. No heat either.

And Trinity College

Tomorrow I'll hit the 24 hour McDonald's -- it's the only place open before 8am then catch the ferry to the UK.
    • Always liked the full breakfasts in the UK and Ireland, except the grilled tomato. Never could get into that. Good thing your are not going to Letterfrack. I got caught in a pub brawl there. Two drunk locals landed on top of our table. Our B&B hostess said there was probably a funeral. She said that after funerals, all the family members go the pub, get drunk, and fight. I told here she wasn't doing a good job of dispelling Irish stereotypes.
    • odd man out wrote:

Always liked the full breakfasts in the UK and Ireland, except the grilled tomato. Never could get into that. Good thing your are not going to Letterfrack. I got caught in a pub brawl there. Two drunk locals landed on top of our table. Our B&B hostess said there was probably a funeral. She said that after funerals, all the family members go the pub, get drunk, and fight. I told here she wasn't doing a good job of dispelling Irish stereotypes.

Astro wrote:

Different strokes for different folks, I love grilled tomatoes. :thumbup:
      As far a grilled tomatoes, dad would all to often have fresh or stewed tomatoes with breakfast. Not usually grilled, but it didn't seem out of place, rather normal and was quite tasty. The mushrooms were great too. It was the beans that just seemed out if place, and here it seems the only proper beans for a fry up is canned... Bleh!

Just funished McDonald's... Wow! Open 24 hours and clean. Attentive staff and the poor kid at 5:15am was 7 hours into his shift. I laughed with him as in my youth I'd been a biscuit maker. Took each of us a moment to interpret cultural differences and that I meant "scones" and not crackers, and his crack, I'm sorry that we don't have scones and gravy... Touché!!

And the sausage and egg mcmuffin was hot fresh and looked like the pictures say they're supposed to. Take a lesson McD USA!
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

...Just funished McDonald's... Wow! Open 24 hours and clean. Attentive staff and the poor kid at 5:15am was 7 hours into his shift. I laughed with him as in my youth I'd been a biscuit maker. Took each of us a moment to interpret cultural differences and that I meant "scones" and not crackers, and his crack, I'm sorry that we don't have scones and gravy... Touché!!
      Scones can be a whole course in cultural differences. I've encountered at least three ways to pronounce them. Depending on where you are, the word scone may rhyme with gone, stone, or soon. I think Scotland it rhymes with soon. Don't remember where I heard the others.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

Found Sheridan's Cheesemongers and got a few grams of Irish blue cheeses, a Cashed and a Crozier... Mmmmmm...
      sheridanscheesemongers.com

And Trinity College

Tomorrow I'll hit the 24 hour McDonald's -- it's the only place open before 8am then catch the ferry to the UK.
      Irish cheese is among the best, next to Dutch and French.

Did the McD serve beer?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • odd man out wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

...Just funished McDonald's... Wow! Open 24 hours and clean. Attentive staff and the poor kid at 5:15am was 7 hours into his shift. I laughed with him as in my youth I'd been a biscuit maker. Took each of us a moment to interpret cultural differences and that I meant "scones" and not crackers, and his crack, I'm sorry that we don't have scones and gravy... Touché!!
      Scones can be a whole course in cultural differences. I've encountered at least three ways to pronounce them. Depending on where you are, the word scone may rhyme with gone, stone, or soon. I think Scotland it rhymes with soon. Don't remember where I heard the others.
      What kind of accent do you have? ?(
      Around here "gone" and "stone" rhyme with each other.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

What kind of accent do you have? ?( Around here "gone" and "stone" rhyme with each other.

How ? Gone and stone are different for me.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

What kind of accent do you have? ?( Around here "gone" and "stone" rhyme with each other.
      in English, gone rhymes with fawn. Not sure what you are speaking.
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

i'm gone to the store. rhymes here too.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

i'm gone to the store. rhymes here too.
      Must be our South Florida accents. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Last I reported I was enjoying breakfast at a Dublin McDonald's. Afterwards I caught a taxi to Dublin Port to take Irish Ferries' Swift for my trip across the Irish Sea to Wales and then on to Telford by train.

This was the site I saw from the departure lounge while the ferry Ulysses was loading and preparing to sail.

And about 8:05am she pushed back.

My Ferry would load and push back at 8:45 and arrive at Holyhead, Wales at 10:45. Caught the 11:27 train to Telford, finally arriving in Coalport at 3:00pm.

Coalport is along the Severn River in the Ironbridge Gorge. The gorge is the birth place of the Industrial Revolution, with a history of china & tile production, clay pipes and IRON!! It was here in Coalbrookdale that Abraham Darby pioneered iron smelting and casting with coke fired furnaces.

These are the remains of that furnace

This is the bellows side of the furnace where the air was blown in.

And this photo show the bellows side on the left and in the right the side where the slag or molten iron would be drawn out.

And a gratuitous selfie.

Went to see the Darby House. And this was his 1698 dated court cupboard. And I was allowed to touch it!

Images
      • IMG_20160827_112052382.jpg

174.08 kB, 800×450, viewed 295 times
    • Well somehow that last photo ended up in the wrong sport in the previous post.

To continue, Coalbrookdale is also home to the Iron Bridge, built by Abraham Darby III and opened in 1781; it is the fist cast iron bridge.

While I've been here I have been staying in a YHA hostel in a 1790s structure with some early 20th century additions that is part of a complex that was the Coalport China Factory established by John Rose. The complex includes the China museum.

The hostel

And other structures including a kiln.

So this is my last night in Coalport, and Sunday morning I'll catch the train from Telford through Birmingham to York.
    • Well I suppose I've gotten a little behind, but Sunday August 28 I left Ironbridge Gorge/Coalport by train heading across the country to York.

Got settled by the late afternoon and then headed into the heart of town and Shambles, to learn my way around. Walking through the narrow street and alleys I happens upon the York Roast Co. and helped myself to a Yorkshire pudding with roast pork, potatoes and veg.

theyorkroastco.com

Monday morning I headed to York Minster
      en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Minster
      An amazingly beautiful cathedral.

• While at the minster I took the opportunity to climb up to the tower... A climb of 275 steps and 230 feet up a narrow 25 inch stone spiraling stairs.

Halfway up

And atop the tower

And a view towards the northern direction, Scotland and the York City Wall.
    • And a view of the minster looking from that particular section of the city walls.

And in fact a walk along the city walls was another highlight. York have the most extensive surviving city walls if any English city mostly dating to the 12th to 14th century.

And then another fortification, Clifford's Tower.