Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2017 - Hiking Plans.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SandyofPA wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

My plans fell through. Oldest girl got called back for a second job interview and cut short her visit. She and hubby just moved to PA so she's looking for a job. The nice thing is their move will open up more hiking opportunities for me. :thumbup:
      PA huh, we may yet get to hike together! Midstate trail anyone?
      She is interviewing at two schools in Lancaster and they will live in Lancaster Co., near Littitz(?)

Where do the PA rocks begin?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

My plans fell through. Oldest girl got called back for a second job interview and cut short her visit. She and hubby just moved to PA so she's looking for a job. The nice thing is their move will open up more hiking opportunities for me. :thumbup:
      She is interviewing at two schools in Lancaster and they will live in Lancaster Co., near Littitz(?)
      Maryland and New Jersey.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Too Soon! :thumbdown:

Seriously I think after Ducannon and the Doyle.
      There is a good bye to MD wake up with rocks just before you hit the Mason Dixon line, but they are not the jagged pointed things you get in northern PA. MA does something similar just before you enter VT.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

The worst part, in my mind anyway, was the 20 miles south and north of 501. Also right after the RPH shelter was pretty nasty. But on a positive note south of RPH we got in a beer stop with sandwiches at the big resort-Bear Mountain?- followed by a hot dog stop at the lake after that and italian food and chinese food at RPH. Oh and lots of beer at RPH courtesy of a local trail maintainer.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

She is interviewing at two schools in Lancaster and they will live in Lancaster Co., near Littitz(?)Where do the PA rocks begin?
      The worst part, in my mind anyway, was the 20 miles south and north of 501. Also right after the RPH shelter was pretty nasty. But on a positive note south of RPH we got in a beer stop with sandwiches at the big resort-Bear Mountain?- followed by a hot dog stop at the lake after that and italian food and chinese food at RPH. Oh and lots of beer at RPH courtesy of a local trail maintainer.
      I need to study a map.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

West Virginia.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Lititz. Nice little town that has made the top 50 places to live a few times. Lancaster City sucks but the surrounding area is very nice.

Route 72 heads north from Lancaster to Swatara Gap so the AT is fairly close. Taking Route 30 west intersects with the AT at Caledonia State Park.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Rasty wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Ok, I need 3 full weeks to do the hike I want to from Rutland Vt to Gorham NH 190 miles. Would I be crazy to start mid September?
      Do you like winter?
      Not fond of winter. I do like shoulder seasons. I checked the daily averages for Gorham and Rutland and depending on the source its 40s for the low average and upper 60s for the high average with the mean at 43 and minimum low of 20. No snow reported in September.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • No Angel,

The first week in October in the Whites could be anything in terms of weather, so come prepared. You could have an early snow on the peaks, I would be more worried about the freezing rain. It will definitely be getting colder by then. That said, with a little bit of luck, you might be going through at the best possible time in terms of scenery.

I am up there every year for Columbus Day weekend. Some years in Gorham the leaves are already off the trees by then, some years it is peak that week. Rooms will be hard to get at the end of your hike with all the leaf-peepers, and the trails will be popular too.

You might consider getting the high elevations over with earlier by going SOBO on this section. But, I think NOBO is worth the risk, there is nothing grander than being in the Whites at peak foliage.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • NoAngel wrote:

Rasty wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Ok, I need 3 full weeks to do the hike I want to from Rutland Vt to Gorham NH 190 miles. Would I be crazy to start mid September?
      Do you like winter?
      Not fond of winter. I do like shoulder seasons. I checked the daily averages for Gorham and Rutland and depending on the source its 40s for the low average and upper 60s for the high average with the mean at 43 and minimum low of 20. No snow reported in September.
      That sounds perfect for me, I'm not a warm weather hiker, thought I might have a heat stroke last week hiking Linville Gorge....hot, humid, not a breeze, lots of elevation gain, and carrying extra water.
    • I'm going for it. All I got to decide now is nobo or sobo and what clothes to pack. Amtrak goes to Rutland so I could go nobo from there and wing the return. Or shuttle north and walk back to Rutland/Killington and Amtrak home. Or take a different mode to Gorham and sobo. Mmmmmmmmm....plenty of time to figure all this out and change my mind 10 times Haha.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

I'm going for it. All I got to decide now is nobo or sobo and what clothes to pack. Amtrak goes to Rutland so I could go nobo from there and wing the return. Or shuttle north and walk back to Rutland/Killington and Amtrak home. Or take a different mode to Gorham and sobo. Mmmmmmmmm....plenty of time to figure all this out and change my mind 10 times Haha.
      concordcoachlines.com/stop/gorham-nh/

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

I'm going for it. All I got to decide now is nobo or sobo and what clothes to pack. Amtrak goes to Rutland so I could go nobo from there and wing the return. Or shuttle north and walk back to Rutland/Killington and Amtrak home. Or take a different mode to Gorham and sobo. Mmmmmmmmm....plenty of time to figure all this out and change my mind 10 times Haha.
      So I could take the bus from Gorham to Boston and Amtrak from there right (or in reverse) ?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

So I could take the bus from Gorham to Boston and Amtrak from there right (or in reverse) ?
      The bus pick up at Logan Airport & South Station(Amtrack & Greyhound) in Boston. It also stops at Pinkham Notch(AMC) if you run short or have weather troubles. They also used to run a bus to Lincoln/Franconia.
    • NoAngel wrote:

Great to hear you have overcome all your recent challenges and able to go! :thumbup:
    • NoAngel wrote:

right foot Is still bruised but should be ok in a few weeks. How is yours Astro?
      Much better now that I am not pounding it on NH rocks, but still not right. Finally got into Doctor this week, and was so tempted to ask for a cortisone shot and drive back up to NH. But instead got an appointment for casting orthopedics. Hopefully that will make a difference and I get in better shape for next summer.
    • Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

right foot Is still bruised but should be ok in a few weeks. How is yours Astro?
      Much better now that I am not pounding it on NH rocks, but still not right. Finally got into Doctor this week, and was so tempted to ask for a cortisone shot and drive back up to NH. But instead got an appointment for casting orthopedics. Hopefully that will make a difference and I get in better shape for next summer.
      maybe our schedules will work out and we can hike Maine together next year
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

maybe our schedules will work out and we can hike Maine together next year
      That would be great. Have a great hike. I just got a small taste of it, but I am sure once in the Whites the views are awesome!
    • I'm reading both guide books plus my buddy Slingshot's account and Mountain Mike's notes, highlighting and underlining, making notes and doing extensive planning so that I can throw it all out the window and wing it when I get there.:-) But it'll give me something to do for a little while.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • My flights are purchased, plans are made. I will be doing a SOBO section on the PCT in Oregon with the plan to be under the path of the eclipse on August 21st.

So far I have hiked the JMT section, and then last year from Tuolumne Meadows to Donner Pass. 390.2 miles down, only 2268.7 more to go :) This looks to be a thirteen year plan.

It really pained my purist linear nature to further deviate my order and direction from a traditional NOBO hike, but to be hiking under the eclipse seemed to present a once in a lifetime experience, so there you go. Hopefully I will get more miles in than I did last year.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • NoAngel wrote:

I'm reading both guide books plus my buddy Slingshot's account and Mountain Mike's notes, highlighting and underlining, making notes and doing extensive planning so that I can throw it all out the window and wing it when I get there.:-) But it'll give me something to do for a little while.
      I love the planning process. Based upon a cortisone shot working a miracle, I planned out how I could drive back up to NH next week and hike to Grafton Notch. Of course my wife wisely advised against that. Considering how I ignored her advice earlier this summer, I figured I better listen to her this time. And as the Chicago Cubs used to say there is always next year. :)
    • Ha! Changed my resupply plan twice last night. I say I'm not but I know I'll get sucked into every close town because of the draw of cheeseburgers, beer, coffee, pizza and whatever else has been running thru my mind for the last 20 miles.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

Ha! Changed my resupply plan twice last night. I say I'm not but I know I'll get sucked into every close town because of the draw of cheeseburgers, beer, coffee, pizza and whatever else has been running thru my mind for the last 20 miles.
      With only 27% left to finish, I'm finding that it's more fun for me to get sucked into the local culture instead of just walking in the woods.

@Astro, I love the planning process as well - which helps to identify places to suck me in as I pass through. My hiking buddy tells people that all he has to do is request time off and get to the meeting point. Stalking Tortoise summarizes the guide book landmarks into spreadsheets, finds food, beverages and lodging near the trail, and sets up the pre-hike shuttles.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • NoAngel wrote:

Ha! Changed my resupply plan twice last night. I say I'm not but I know I'll get sucked into every close town because of the draw of cheeseburgers, beer, coffee, pizza and whatever else has been running thru my mind for the last 20 miles.
      Don't forget about Karl's Trail Magic at Camp Moonshine Road. If you have been out in the woods for a few days, you will appreciate the omelet, muffins, coffee, etc.. and even a chair to sit in while you eat.
    • I'm planning to hike the AT from Erwin to Elk Park some time in October, get a shuttle from Mountain Harbour to Erwin and hike back, about 48 miles, wondering if any of you might be interested? I have two local folks so far wanting to go but the times they can go conflict, one is a pretty young lady, the other is a guy....can anyone guess which gets preference? We'd do the hike over a four day period.
    • The Tea Horse is a nice hostel. I started at Pearisburg, left my truck at a shuttle drivers house (Ratface), hiked to Harper's Ferry, caught the commuter train to DC Union Station for $11, caught a Mega bus to Christiansburg, VA for $26 where Ratface shuttled me back to his house for $40.