Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2017 - Hiking Plans.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Looks like I have a four week block to hike this summer. If I start back at Killington, VT I guess I could stop at Glencliff????? Thoughts anyone......
      Make it 6-7 weeks and just go all the way!
      Can't. The missus has made plans that interfere with my plans. Aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • if i were going to end a 4 week hike i'd rather end at hanover rather than glencliff for obvious reasons, unless omitting that section would cause the hike to be too short.

however, the real issue is that it is only 90 miles from killington to glencliff so i'm guessing there is something wrong with your question. on the other hand, 22 mile weeks allows one to do a lot of drinking...

or perhaps i drank too much last nite and have totally misunderstood your question.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

if i were going to end a 4 week hike i'd rather end at hanover rather than glencliff for obvious reasons, unless omitting that section would cause the hike to be too short.

however, the real issue is that it is only 90 miles from killington to glencliff so i'm guessing there is something wrong with your question. on the other hand, 22 mile weeks allows one to do a lot of drinking...

or perhaps i drank too much last nite and have totally misunderstood your question.
      No, I hit the wrong button on AT Dist web site. With the difficulty in the terrain and having no trail legs to start, I am looking to do at least 225 miles but no more than 300 miles. So maybe Rangeley Me- is there a bus connection out of there??
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

max.patch wrote:

if i were going to end a 4 week hike i'd rather end at hanover rather than glencliff for obvious reasons, unless omitting that section would cause the hike to be too short.

No, I hit the wrong button on AT Dist web site. With the difficulty in the terrain and having no trail legs to start, I am looking to do at least 225 miles but no more than 300 miles. So maybe Rangeley Me- is there a bus connection out of there??
      Or Stratton, ME????
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Looks like I have a four week block to hike this summer. If I start back at Killington, VT I guess I could stop at Glencliff????? Thoughts anyone......
      Can't. The missus has made plans that interfere with my plans. Aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
      You could still go for it. I am sure over time she would get over it. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Not in this lifetime. I'm on double secret probation as it is.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • my knowledge of maine town services is too dated to be relied on, but i would be totally shocked if either rangeley or stratton had bus service. (you could get a shuttle from either location to take you to the bus.) as far as i know, the northernmost trail town that has bus service would be gorham,nh. that's only about 190 mile trip. the bus service from gorham takes you to boston.

again, this is dated info off the top of my head.
      2,000 miler
    • NoAngel wrote:

max.patch wrote:

We were in Rangely last summer and I didn't see any signs of a bus.
      You can get a shuttle or a seaplane out of there.
    • NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Might as well try for the elusive triple crown secret probation.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Heck you might be right.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

Rasty wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Heck you might be right.
      You will know unless you try. :D
    • We've got reservations at the Stratton Motel for the night of the day we'll drive to Maine and a shuttle with them down to the route 4 trailhead near Rangeley for the next day. Also they said we could leave our car there while we're hiking. Things are starting to come together. We'll climb in the car and drive north on July 7th.
    • LIhikers wrote:

We've got reservations at the Stratton Motel for the night of the day we'll drive to Maine and a shuttle with them down to the route 4 trailhead near Rangeley for the next day. Also they said we could leave our car there while we're hiking. Things are starting to come together. We'll climb in the car and drive north on July 7th.
      HB and I dropped a thru there, then we did a loop NOBO. He has since walked a lash there, but I want to do the Motel to the Canoe soon.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • NoAngel wrote:

The missus said I didn't have to go to her friends granddaughter's graduation party tonight- think boring. 30 minutes later I was in the jeep headed for the mountains. No plan except get of town and in the hills.
      You on a roll, go for Killington, VT to Mt Kahtadin this summer. :D
    • NoAngel wrote:

The missus said I didn't have to go to her friends granddaughter's graduation party tonight- think boring. 30 minutes later I was in the jeep headed for the mountains. No plan except get of town and in the hills.
      Wish I was with you. I'm committed to a reception for a friend's daughter. As the couple is getting sealed in a Mormon Temple, neither her mom, dad, or a heathen as I can attend the ceremony.
      Dad feels plenty ticked about it and vowed he wouldn't drop a penny on the wedding. Daughter converted to LDS in order to marry this guy. As she has no living relatives other than parents, perhaps I understand her want to marry into a large family, groom has seven siblings.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Wish I was with you. I'm committed to a reception for a friend's daughter. As the couple is getting sealed in a Mormon Temple, neither her mom, dad, or a heathen as I can attend the ceremony.Dad feels plenty ticked about it and vowed he wouldn't drop a penny on the wedding. Daughter converted to LDS in order to marry this guy. As she has no living relatives other than parents, perhaps I understand her want to marry into a large family, groom has seven siblings.
      my brother had a similar experience when his daughter married an LDS member. when her marriage went on the rocks she wanted to move back home. he told her his religion wouldn't permit it. didn't last he relented, but she got the message.
    • I finally hiked the short piece of AT trail in the park that I was missing from Loft Mountain Camp store down to the turn off at the wayside. met about 6 thru hikers, and saw at least another 6 or so. Saw a couple of young thrus get busted by the ranger trying to camp in Loft for free- I saw them the night before just kind of hanging around, waiting for it to get dark so they could pitch their tent after the ranger made his last loop, but he was there first thing in the mprning and made them pay up- I mean come on guys $15 split two ways?

A thick fog bank rolled in about 8 pm, you could see it coming thru the trees like a wave- really neat looking. In the morning I went and hiked the Blck Rock circuit and saw a black bear right as I was pulling into the parking lot. He was too quick for me to get a photo. Scored a half a large bottle of Sawyer permethirn that someone left at the dumpster.

"Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • My daughter was at Big Meadows this weekend with a group of friends, including 2 babies and a toddler. They had a great time.

I was hiking in SNP and paid for a campsite at Loft for myself and a thru hiker. We found our spot but I was slow to go back to register and got accused of trying to stealth. I went and paid, got back, and hadn't yet clipped the ticket to the post when he came around again...he was a real jerk...but I guess they get a lot of people who try to get out of paying.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Scheduled to head back to TN / NC over July 4th weekend to finish the 15 miles between Carvers Gap and Route 19E at Mountain Harbour. This will be my first father-daughter hike on the AT. w00t!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Scheduled to head back to TN / NC over July 4th weekend to finish the 15 miles between Carvers Gap and Route 19E at Mountain Harbour. This will be my first father-daughter hike on the AT. w00t!
      I thought about going back to Mt Harbour, taking the wife and staying at the B&B, but after thinking about it decided I'd rather stay over the barn again, definitely would like to have the breakfast again, doubt it would be the same as after hiking to it....but it'd still be great.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I'm still trying to figure out some hiking plans for this summer. The wife has planned a week long "girls trip" thing right in the middle of when I really need to be hiking. And today there is apparently some office politics brewing at the firm I consult for as a key person was fired. It just might be time to take an extended leave again....hmmmmm.........(wheels turning)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out some hiking plans for this summer. The wife has planned a week long "girls trip" thing right in the middle of when I really need to be hiking. And today there is apparently some office politics brewing at the firm I consult for as a key person was fired. It just might be time to take an extended leave again....hmmmmm.........(wheels turning)
      Killington, VT to Mt Katahdin, I will look forward to you passing me along the way. :)
    • Planning a 3 day hike the week of July 4 to start from GA Neel's Gap and end at Dick's Creek. Total mileage is about 37 miles. Plan on doing 14/14/9. There is a stream at each of the anticipated camps but seeing mixed reviews concerning water availability. Anyone have a reliable report for water 14 and 28 miles N of Neel's Gap?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
    • Sole2Soul wrote:

Planning a 3 day hike the week of July 4 to start from GA Neel's Gap and end at Dick's Creek. Total mileage is about 37 miles. Plan on doing 14/14/9. There is a stream at each of the anticipated camps but seeing mixed reviews concerning water availability. Anyone have a reliable report for water 14 and 28 miles N of Neel's Gap?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
      Check with the people at Mountain Crossing. I would think water will not be a problem.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

My daughter was at Big Meadows this weekend with a group of friends, including 2 babies and a toddler. They had a great time.

I was hiking in SNP and paid for a campsite at Loft for myself and a thru hiker. We found our spot but I was slow to go back to register and got accused of trying to stealth. I went and paid, got back, and hadn't yet clipped the ticket to the post when he came around again...he was a real jerk...but I guess they get a lot of people who try to get out of paying.
      Which is why I always hike with no lass than 4 seal and save sleeves, and old high school picture, assorted color construction paper glue, scissors, colored ink pens and 15 geometric shape hole punches and one baby seal...they were real popular back in the early 90's and a few other trade secrets I can't devuldge here.

and a check book for bail, things don't always work out, eh.
    • Drybones wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Scheduled to head back to TN / NC over July 4th weekend to finish the 15 miles between Carvers Gap and Route 19E at Mountain Harbour. This will be my first father-daughter hike on the AT. w00t!
      I thought about going back to Mt Harbour, taking the wife and staying at the B&B, but after thinking about it decided I'd rather stay over the barn again, definitely would like to have the breakfast again, doubt it would be the same as after hiking to it....but it'd still be great.
      When I made my reservation in the B&B, they told me that breakfast is now served outside at the food trailer. I skipped breakfast when I stayed in the hostel back in March, but was invited in for coffee before my shuttle to The Bitter End. The presentation was very nice and seeing the cleaned-up thrus gathered together at the dining table made it look like a pretty classy event. It will be interesting to see how they present a buffet outside.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Had a great day hike of the Roan Highlands with my daughter yesterday. Trip report to come.

If I had any regrets for skipping this section back in March, they were long gone by the time I started up Round Bald fom Carvers Gap.

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-32/i-zQ7hRH5/0/1c73b858/L/DSCN0880-L.jpg]

• Thanks NoAngel.
      I just weighed my pack.
      With 7 days of food for me and 2 days of dog food, plus 2.5 quarts of water I'll be carrying 40 pounds.
      Not bad considering the pack itself is about 5.5 pounds.
      We'll be hiking route 4, Rangely, to route 27 Stratton. Then if we can arrange a shuttle we'd also like to get that last big mountain that's north of route 27, but we'll have to wait and see about that.
      Kathy figures it'll take us 7 days to go from route 4 to 27 and that last mountain another 3 or 4 days.
      Yea, we're slow. At our current rate we may never finish the AT but we sure are having fun trying!
      Our original plan was always to finish the northern half of the trail by the time we retire and do the southern half as 1 journey.
      I think we're a couple of years behind schedule. :/