Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2017 - Hiking Plans.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• IMScotty wrote:

Back on topic..... :)

Family obligations have narrowed my hiking window down to the last two weeks in August. I was hoping to do a true PCT LASH, but looks like I will do another 200 miles at best. I have 390 PCT miles down, and only 2,269 miles to go. Ouch!

Not really looking for advice, I'm just ranting my disappointment a bit.

My plan is to pick up where I left off, hiking North from Donner Pass, California. There is one thing bothering me, though. I will miss the great solar eclipse of 2017. I know I could hike an Oregon section and have the best of both world's, but I really wanted to finish with CA before I moved on. I have some kind of linear personality disorder. I have already had to start my sectioning in the middle of CA, I don't want to make it any worse by hopping all over the place every year.

So I think I am going to just concentrate on my hike. Two weeks is two weeks and I do not have many good hiking tears left in me. I will have another crack at a Solar Eclipse in 2024. If I am still alive in 2024 it will be in driving distance. Just thinking out loud. I don't expect anyone to cure me of my mental problems.
      I fully understand the linear thinkin'
      It's better to drop trousers, sit, take care of business than to sit, take care of business...then do luandry. ;)
      Have a great hike which ever state you decide. :)
    • meat wrote:

I fully understand the linear thinkin'It's better to drop trousers, sit, take care of business than to sit, take care of business...then do luandry. ;)
      Have a great hike which ever state you decide. :)
      Cof124 You made me laugh Socks. Now that I think about it, I became this way when I was still a toddler. You may be onto something.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • CoachLou wrote:

I'm afraid my plans for July in 'The Bob Marshall' are a bust! :( :( :(

My friend out there, has injured himself, and will not be able to walk with a pack...to the mail box.

I could still go, but without my Pal Mike....eh :thumbdown:

....but, where to spend a week walking???????

So many choices KillMe
      Ah that's to bad, is that your fishing trip?
    • CoachLou wrote:

My friend out there, has injured himself, and will not be able to walk with a pack...to the mail box.

So many choices KillMe
      You are always welcome to join me in NH or ME. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

So many choices KillMe
      thank you Sir, I have your itinerary on my desk, and eyeballed it right after I post :thumbsup:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

So many choices KillMe
      or me. I'll be going nobo from Killington sometime late July.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

my ride to the trail head is alll set. Only sanfu is my buddy's wife is coming along to keep him company on the way home. She knows I'm no angel so its just to chaperone us and keep her hubby from having any whiskey or a safety meeting. Party pooper. :evil: :D
      Hmmm...maybe she's going for the whiskey and safety meeting. :D
      Oh no. She went to a football game once with us and we had to go to the mens room to mix our drinks.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Kathy and I have an unplanned overnighter planned for Monday into Tuesday.
      We won't be able to leave until mid-morning Monday and need to be home by Tuesday evening.
      We'll probably go the AT, walk in until we feel like setting up camp and spend the night.
      We're going to pack 1 dinner, 1 breakfast, 2 lunches and some dog food.
      I have a brand new pair of hiking pants that will get their first walk.
      The reason for the trip is that Kathy has a bonus week off from work and we'll sleep in the woods just because we can.
      :)
    • JimBlue wrote:

farmers around here spread chicken manure on their fields to fertilizing the plants for their cattle to eat. Much worse than any cattle manure I have ever been down wind of.
      In recent years there has been concern about the high arsenic content of certain grains, particularly brown rice. As it turns out they commonly freed chickens arsenic as a food additive and then fertilize brown rice fields with chicken manure <X
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • IMScotty wrote:

Back on topic..... :)

Family obligations have narrowed my hiking window down to the last two weeks in August. I was hoping to do a true PCT LASH, but looks like I will do another 200 miles at best. I have 390 PCT miles down, and only 2,269 miles to go. Ouch!

Not really looking for advice, I'm just ranting my disappointment a bit.

My plan is to pick up where I left off, hiking North from Donner Pass, California. There is one thing bothering me, though. I will miss the great solar eclipse of 2017. I know I could hike an Oregon section and have the best of both world's, but I really wanted to finish with CA before I moved on. I have some kind of linear personality disorder. I have already had to start my sectioning in the middle of CA, I don't want to make it any worse by hopping all over the place every year.

So I think I am going to just concentrate on my hike. Two weeks is two weeks and I do not have many good hiking tears left in me. I will have another crack at a Solar Eclipse in 2024. If I am still alive in 2024 it will be in driving distance. Just thinking out loud. I don't expect anyone to cure me of my mental problems.
      I'd go for the eclipse. Hike to a spot along the path, set up camp for the experience, and share with us.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • NoAngel wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

my ride to the trail head is alll set. Only sanfu is my buddy's wife is coming along to keep him company on the way home. She knows I'm no angel so its just to chaperone us and keep her hubby from having any whiskey or a safety meeting. Party pooper. :evil: :D
      Hmmm...maybe she's going for the whiskey and safety meeting. :D
      Oh no. She went to a football game once with us and we had to go to the mens room to mix our drinks.
      You've been watching Bear Grylls too much. <X
      Oh, and what's up with the spell checker? Sanfu? Definitely snafu.
    • JimBlue wrote:

a fortnight is 2 weeks but a night at the fort could be different.
      Once a king always a king.........but once a knight is enough.

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

So many choices KillMe
      When will you be in NH...I have the month of June off and been trying to decide what to do.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I have an unplanned overnighter planned for Monday into Tuesday.
      We won't be able to leave until mid-morning Monday and need to be home by Tuesday evening.
      We'll probably go the AT, walk in until we feel like setting up camp and spend the night.
      We're going to pack 1 dinner, 1 breakfast, 2 lunches and some dog food.
      I have a brand new pair of hiking pants that will get their first walk.
      The reason for the trip is that Kathy has a bonus week off from work and we'll sleep in the woods just because we can.
      :)
      It turns out that Kathy and I should have done a little more planning for our unplanned overnighter.
      As we drove north to the AT, on the east side of the Hudson River, we decided to hike into the Stewart Morgan Memorial Shelter.
      When we got there we couldn't get into the trailhead parking lot because of the pile of snow at the edge of the rode from when they plowed it.
      Then we decided to go to route 22, north of Pawling, as there's a paved pull out of the road that goes through.
      We figured it would be plowed and were right. We ate lunch and saddled up. Initially the trail was well used which made walking easy.
      We forgot our gaiters and never even considered our snow shoes.
      That would have been OK except we got to a section where we had to break trail through snow that was up to my knees. That made it hard and slow.
      Then we got to the last section and found it had been used a little and climbed the last hill to the Telephone Pioneers Shelter.
      The shelter had a new addition since we'd last been here. Attached to an outside wall was an enclosed box tiled the Pawling Library.
      Inside were a number of books with a sign that said something about leave a book/take a book. We had the place to ourselves and crawled into our bags shortly after a hot dinner. With dry sox my feet finally warmed up shortly after going into the sleeping bag. Tuesday dawned sunny and it was 35 degrees at 8AM. After a leisurely breakfast we packed up and headed the 3 or 4 miles back to our car following our route from the day before. Over the 2 days we saw and herd ducks, woodpeckers, owls and deer and 5 people. Photos will follow in a few days.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LIhikers ().

• out at Cheaha. Decided between two sleeping pads. And didn't bring either one.

Prices on sites has gone down to $16 from $24 per night. Semi primitive that is.

Edit: decided to get 7 X 9 tent. I can stretch out.
      Images
      • 20170323_113230.jpg

96.4 kB, 338×600, viewed 202 times
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.

The post was edited 2 times, last by JimBlue ().

• I keep everything I always take, except my quilt, in one of those large Wallyworld plastic containers. Under the lid I keep a check list. my quilt has its own big plastic box. I have another big plastic box with optional things to take like puffy jacket, silk bag liner, different clothes etc. I'd forget to take myself without a check list. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • JimBlue wrote:

the old grab and go is not a good idea. No utensils but I do have 4 small measuring cups. No pad for under my sleeping bag. No pillow. Only one cell phone charger when I has 5 of them. Left most of my matches at home. Gee better luck next time.
      Glad to read you're out hiking/camping.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC