Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2017 - Hiking Plans.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I hope to get back to Maine this summer to do more of the AT.
      Our section hiking has almost always been early in August, but this year we're going to have to try to get out in July as another mechanic on my shift is getting married in August. We'll see.
      We won't start our planning for Maine until we hike the Laurel Highlands Trail in April.
      I should be hitting ME by mid July and Finish by early August, so I hope to see you out there.
      We're an old, gray haired, slow couple hiking with a large dog.If you see us make sure and say "Hi"
      That description fits me too, just without the wife and dog.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Our section hiking has almost always been early in August, but this year we're going to have to try to get out in July as another mechanic on my shift is getting married in August. We'll see.
      We won't start our planning for Maine until we hike the Laurel Highlands Trail in April.
      I should be hitting ME by mid July and Finish by early August, so I hope to see you out there.
      We're an old, gray haired, slow couple hiking with a large dog.If you see us make sure and say "Hi"
      If we meet on a puncheon, I'll say "Hey, I'm walking here!" If you object, I'll ask "What's it to ya?"From what I've heard, that should make you feel right at home, like you never even left the city. :P
      never left the city?????I don't live in, or frequent "the city". In fact I avoid it as much as I can.
      You might have me mixed up with someone else.
      I'm just sayin :rolleyes:
      Cof124
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

That description fits me too, just without the wife and dog.
      Same, but without the wife, dog, and two legs attached to a backpack.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

My ignorance of geography is now plain for all to see, but the Long Island county with the lowest population density still has a density more than twice that of the county I grew up in.
      I don't doubt that for 1 second. It's crowded and hectic, not mention expensive living here.
      Once I retire I'm getting off this island and moving to the continental United States.
    • LIhikers wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

My ignorance of geography is now plain for all to see, but the Long Island county with the lowest population density still has a density more than twice that of the county I grew up in.
      I don't doubt that for 1 second. It's crowded and hectic, not mention expensive living here.Once I retire I'm getting off this island and moving to the continental United States.
      better hurry before the wall goes up. :)

ya know, conus hikers just doesn't have the same cache.
      2,000 miler
    • I just mailed my resupply package to Erwin for my hike starting on 3/18.

Meals from Monday lunch through Saturday breakfast
      Six mini bottles of Crown Royal Apple
      2 containers of Mio and a small bottle of hand sanitizer
      Map & guidebook pages
      Shorts, 2 socks, 2 underwear, long and short sleeve shirts

11 pounds, 13 ounces. KillMe

At least the first 25 miles from Sams Gap to Erwin will be fun with minimal clothing and food in the pack. Leaving Erwin and climbing up towards Unaka? Not so much.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

I just mailed my resupply package to Erwin for my hike starting on 3/18.

Map & guidebook pages

At least the first 25 miles from Sams Gap to Erwin will be fun with minimal clothing and food in the pack. Leaving Erwin and climbing up towards Unaka? Not so much.
      Let's do a shakedown and see if we can help ST improve his pack...you wont need a map and guidebook, trail is well marked...that will allow you two more mini bottles...you will not need two pairs of undies, add two more mini bottles...you definetly don't need the hand sanitizer, you'll spill enough CR on your hand to do the job, add one more mini bottle....that should be enough to get you through one night at Uncle Johnny's.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Three things:

I'm bringing pre-mixed Manhattans for the first night
      I was very disappointed to learn that the booze store in Unicoi is closed on Sundays.
      We're going a little upscale in Erwin. Maybe a quick visit to Uncle Johnny's for a Snicker's Bar.

Spilling booze? That's alcohol abuse! But I like the way you think!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • SandyofPA wrote:

I have 2 walks around the neighborhood wearing a pack. It has 16 pounds of stuff to start and will build up to my max of 24 over March and April to be ready to hike mid May.
      My fishing Pal and I have secured a different week at Poe Paddy, than our usual last week of April. Just one week into May, but with this warmer period, it may fish like later.............I love Penns Wood!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

I have 2 walks around the neighborhood wearing a pack. It has 16 pounds of stuff to start and will build up to my max of 24 over March and April to be ready to hike mid May.
      My fishing Pal and I have secured a different week at Poe Paddy, than our usual last week of April. Just one week into May, but with this warmer period, it may fish like later.............I love Penns Wood!
      Excelent! Here's to ole brownie, may your waders remain dry, your wet flies wet, and enough mirepoix to do the job right. :)
    • meat wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Excelent! Here's to ole brownie, may your waders remain dry, your wet flies wet, and enough mirepoix to do the job right. :)
      You absolutely know I could easily head a little south, before I head into Pa. And there is a rather large tentpad next to the shelter that we use.......................................just sayin'..... :thumbsup:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Drybones wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Map & guidebook pages

Let's do a shakedown and see if we can help ST improve his pack...you wont need a map and guidebook, trail is well marked...that will allow you two more mini bottles...you will not need two pairs of undies, add two more mini bottles...you definetly don't need the hand sanitizer, you'll spill enough CR on your hand to do the job, add one more mini bottle....that should be enough to get you through one night at Uncle Johnny's.
      you know you can save a lot of weight in packaging by taking one large bottle (plastic) bottle instead of many mini bottles. I've seen plastic bladders for carrying wine. Maybe you could use one of those.

I have taken a can of beer for my first night out. Cans are the best for UL packaging, but you do have to drink the whole thing once opened. It's nice that most microbreweries now package in cans. I even saw wine in a can the other day.
    • odd man out wrote:

Drybones wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Map & guidebook pages

you know you can save a lot of weight in packaging by taking one large bottle (plastic) bottle instead of many mini bottles. I've seen plastic bladders for carrying wine. Maybe you could use one of those.
      I have taken a can of beer for my first night out. Cans are the best for UL packaging, but you do have to drink the whole thing once opened. It's nice that most microbreweries now package in cans. I even saw wine in a can the other day.
      Refill an empty water bottle or soda bottle with your liquor. Then when it's empty recycle it (or refill it :) ) next town you hit.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Got bored today so I went to Dollar General and got my food for my hike. I decided to go with five days food to start and cut down on the town time.Dinners will be Harmony House chilis and soups mixed with ramen noodles and either bacon bits, tuna or spam.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Drybones wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Got bored today so I went to Dollar General and got my food for my hike. I decided to go with five days food to start and cut down on the town time.Dinners will be Harmony House chilis and soups mixed with ramen noodles and either bacon bits, tuna or spam.
      What is your start/stop dates and places?
      Damascus 4/1, Dragon's Tooth area two weeks later.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

Drybones wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Got bored today so I went to Dollar General and got my food for my hike. I decided to go with five days food to start and cut down on the town time.Dinners will be Harmony House chilis and soups mixed with ramen noodles and either bacon bits, tuna or spam.
      That should be a great part of the trail to get your legs back.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • NoAngel wrote:

Drybones wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Anyone going with you?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Drybones wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Anyone going with you?
      No one in particular.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Per my trail name, I've been stalking the 2017 hikers that are currently out on the trail. It looks like most have found refuge for the next day or two. I've also been checking out mountain-forecast.com for Roan Mountain and it looks damn nasty through Thursday at elevation.