Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2017 - Hiking Plans.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Grinder wrote:

Astro wrote:

While road walks are usually not as scenic as the woods, they can provide some relief if you are not quite in the hiking shape you may wish you were.
      I'd better stick with roads then. Maybe in a car. :P
      Four wheel personal mobility device? (Electric scooter)

TrafficJam wrote:

Grinder wrote:

You didn't brush your teeth? I'm not sure we can be friends any more. :P :D
      Truthfully, I stuck my brush and paste in my pocket and brushed as I walked.
      multitasker
    • meat wrote:

I think going to springer in the spring to hike with the bubble is part of the problem that goes on today...I choose not to be part of the problem.
      it's looking like I may get a chance to do a section near Ashville NC in mid May. The trend is i hike near places my wife (non hiker) wants to visit. Last year it was SNP. This year its Ashville. I'm thinking I40 to Hot Springs. Looks like that might be at the tail end of the thru hiking madness. Might be interesting.
    • odd man out wrote:

meat wrote:

I think going to springer in the spring to hike with the bubble is part of the problem that goes on today...I choose not to be part of the problem.
      it's looking like I may get a chance to do a section near Ashville NC in mid May. The trend is i hike near places my wife (non hiker) wants to visit. Last year it was SNP. This year its Ashville. I'm thinking I40 to Hot Springs. Looks like that might be at the tail end of the thru hiking madness. Might be interesting.
      Excelent! God speed. :)

I was more referring to the partiers that show up to hike for a month of weed smokin' and cayin' on.
      Your miles may vary. :)
    • max.patch wrote:

if ya wanna pass out food go ahead; there is no law against it (although the ATC wishes that ya wouldn't do it). but don't fool yourself into thinking that an organized trail feed has anything to do with trail magic.
      Well, it won't be the first time I've hiked in the bubble, I just thought I'd help put a smile on a tired and disheartened face, or two. Lot's of dispirited folks can use a smile in that section...

But, YMMV, and it does, so that's cool.

And, I'm glad I am free to fool myself. Sorry, but I won't be following that order, Max...just sayin... :D
    • meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

meat wrote:

Excelent! God speed. :)
      I was more referring to the partiers that show up to hike for a month of weed smokin' and cayin' on.
      For sure. I've never stayed overnight in or near an AT shelter. I'm hoping this section has enough camping opportunities so I can continue that pattern. But I have enjoyed meeting an interesting range of characters when stopping at shelters for lunch and dinner. But previous section hikes were further north and in the off season, so I wasn't really in the party bubble. I think that was the "really interesting people" bubble. I'm wondering if spring in NC will be different.

What I have found is that it helps to carry a few extra packages of Starbuck's via so you can make coffee for a rain-soaked thru hikers. For 10 grams of coffee and 10 grams of fuel, this might be the best good will-to-weight ratio on the AT.

This happened last summer when I pulled into the covered pavilion at the Pinnacles Picnic Area in SNP about 30 seconds before a tremendous thunderstorm (Remember the flooding in WV last year? It was that storm). About 30 minutes later a thru hiker came in out of the rain. I already had my stove out so I had a cup of coffee ready for him in no time. He was so happy. Also, a few years ago at a road crossing near Catawba I met a thru hike who had been caught in a storm the night before. He had all of his gear laid out in the parking area to dry (everything was soaked). He was out of coffee and I was glad to part with some of my extra.
    • odd man out wrote:

meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

meat wrote:

Excelent! God speed. :) I was more referring to the partiers that show up to hike for a month of weed smokin' and cayin' on.
      For sure. I've never stayed overnight in or near an AT shelter. I'm hoping this section has enough camping opportunities so I can continue that pattern. But I have enjoyed meeting an interesting range of characters when stopping at shelters for lunch and dinner. But previous section hikes were further north and in the off season, so I wasn't really in the party bubble. I think that was the "really interesting people" bubble. I'm wondering if spring in NC will be different.
      What I have found is that it helps to carry a few extra packages of Starbuck's via so you can make coffee for a rain-soaked thru hikers. For 10 grams of coffee and 10 grams of fuel, this might be the best good will-to-weight ratio on the AT.

This happened last summer when I pulled into the covered pavilion at the Pinnacles Picnic Area in SNP about 30 seconds before a tremendous thunderstorm (Remember the flooding in WV last year? It was that storm). About 30 minutes later a thru hiker came in out of the rain. I already had my stove out so I had a cup of coffee ready for him in no time. He was so happy. Also, a few years ago at a road crossing near Catawba I met a thru hike who had been caught in a storm the night before. He had all of his gear laid out in the parking area to dry (everything was soaked). He was out of coffee and I was glad to part with some of my extra.
      Now that's trail magic in my book.
    • The best trail magic to me is something when you really need it.

I always have food (although maybe not as tasty as some you get), but what I really cherish is the memories of people providing me with water when I needed it.

Of course Propel and Gatorade are a real treat that can pick you up too. And speaking up being picked up, a ride into town is always greatly appreciated. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

meat wrote:

Excelent! God speed. :) I was more referring to the partiers that show up to hike for a month of weed smokin' and cayin' on.Your miles may vary. :)
      For sure. I've never stayed overnight in or near an AT shelter. I'm hoping this section has enough camping opportunities so I can continue that pattern. But I have enjoyed meeting an interesting range of characters when stopping at shelters for lunch and dinner. But previous section hikes were further north and in the off season, so I wasn't really in the party bubble. I think that was the "really interesting people" bubble. I'm wondering if spring in NC will be different.What I have found is that it helps to carry a few extra packages of Starbuck's via so you can make coffee for a rain-soaked thru hikers. For 10 grams of coffee and 10 grams of fuel, this might be the best good will-to-weight ratio on the AT.

Or I just got Yogied real good.
    • Yeah... back when I worked a mile south of Swatara Gap, I would take my lunch up to the AT and sit on my favorite log a few tenths in from Route 72. Anytime a thru would pass by, I'd offer to take them down to the store and back. No sweat off my back, but it saved them 3 miles of road walking round trip. Good times.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • odd man out wrote:

meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

meat wrote:

Excelent! God speed. :) I was more referring to the partiers that show up to hike for a month of weed smokin' and cayin' on.Your miles may vary. :)
      For sure. I've never stayed overnight in or near an AT shelter. I'm hoping this section has enough camping opportunities so I can continue that pattern. But I have enjoyed meeting an interesting range of characters when stopping at shelters for lunch and dinner. But previous section hikes were further north and in the off season, so I wasn't really in the party bubble. I think that was the "really interesting people" bubble. I'm wondering if spring in NC will be different.What I have found is that it helps to carry a few extra packages of Starbuck's via so you can make coffee for a rain-soaked thru hikers. For 10 grams of coffee and 10 grams of fuel, this might be the best good will-to-weight ratio on the AT.
      Or I just got Yogied real good.
      ah right, forgot about the yogi.
    • odd man out wrote:

meat wrote:

Mellow Mushroom in Asheville for pizza
    • odd man out wrote:

meat wrote:

Keep us posted...I need to get up that way about the same time...my daughter-in-law is already in Ashville and my son will be there in April...would like to visit them and do a hike.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

meat wrote:

Keep us posted...I need to get up that way about the same time...my daughter-in-law is already in Ashville and my son will be there in April...would like to visit them and do a hike.
      OK - Don't have dates yet. Need to coordinate with sister-in-law (in Ontario) and daughter (in Raleigh). The women hang out at the spa while I hike in the rain.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Another idea is to drive to springer and hike one of the BMT/AT loops. You'd get to gawk at the beginning thru hikers plus have a peaceful walk.

After hiking the GA section of the BMT, I spent the night at the campsite on springer. It was fun and refreshing to interact with (mostly) novice hikers. One girl had all her toiletries and clean clothes spread out in the privy. I didn't even brush my teeth that morning. Just threw on rain pants over my pajamas, packed up, peed, and headed out. :)

(I knew a shower was waiting for me)

bmta.org/BMT-ATLoops.htm
      I'll admit, I really want to hike 2-3 weeks with the Nobo crowd at Amicalola. I like hiking around others and think it would be a lot of fun to immerse myself on that chaos.
      I started my hike on April 5 from Springer in a small bubble. It really was fun getting to know all the thruhikers, 98% of whom passed me because to start, I was only averaging 4 miles/day. I ended up hiking for 18 days (averaging 9 mpd the last 5 days) when I limped into Winding Stair Gap. I had intended to hike at least to NH, but the pain in my right foot wouldn't allow me to do so. I enjoyed it greatly. There was only one, well maybe 2 small groups of 20 something hikers that were into mind altering substances; but they didn't do it in or really near the shelters, they went off a ways when indulging. And they were all very friendly. The only person that I had an issue with during all that time was a guy who was in what I estimate to be late 50's.
    • meat wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Drybones wrote:

It may be wishful thinking but I dug out the CO Trail guide and put it in the reading room where I review it daily....hopefully June.
      Ov knows where the next walk or fishing trip is by the guide books that are left in the small reading rooms!
      my wife always says "So where ya goin"? To which I say, just lookin' at a map.
      Maps are cool. Did I tell y'all that I potty trained my youngest by sitting her on the toilet and giving her a map to look at? It was the only thing that held her attention for long enough.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Drybones wrote:

It may be wishful thinking but I dug out the CO Trail guide and put it in the reading room where I review it daily....hopefully June.
      Ov knows where the next walk or fishing trip is by the guide books that are left in the small reading rooms!
      Maps are cool. Did I tell y'all that I potty trained my youngest by sitting her on the toilet and giving her a map to look at? It was the only thing that held her attention for long enough.
      i dont recall, but it always held my attention too, I can go into a blank stare (or so I'm told) while my mind does a Astro projection to a place as I create.
    • meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Drybones wrote:

i dont recall, but it always held my attention too, I can go into a blank stare (or so I'm told) while my mind does a Astro projection to a place as I create.
      Foothills Trail map and guide are OTW! :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Excelent!
    • TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I remember getting an Atlas book about 12 X 18 inch pages. I spent hours looking at it and looking up real places mentioned the black and white movies from the 1940s. I was supposed to be using for homework... but 8 was looking up Hawaii. Shangri-la. Etc.
      I'd like to find Shangri-La.
      I often go on google field trips, last week I was on Everest, this week I'm headed to the fertile lands of southern Italy.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I remember getting an Atlas book about 12 X 18 inch pages. I spent hours looking at it and looking up real places mentioned the black and white movies from the 1940s. I was supposed to be using for homework... but 8 was looking up Hawaii. Shangri-la. Etc.
      I'll never forget when my parents bought The Wold Book Encyclopedia. I used to read it through dinner, every night. After about six months, I had finished...then I started over!!!

I'm glad I've lived long enough to remember pre-computer information/knowledge searches...these things....they were called "libraries"...and they weren't open 24/7!
    • TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Here it is. Just over 9 miles west of Mt. Everest. I understand if hike up the Gokyo Valley far enough you can look up the glacier to Shangri-La and get an unobstructed view of Mt Everest beyond. (La is the term for a mountain pass)

• ScareBear wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I'll never forget when my parents bought The Wold Book Encyclopedia. I used to read it through dinner, every night. After about six months, I had finished...then I started over!!!
      I'm glad I've lived long enough to remember pre-computer information/knowledge searches...these things....they were called "libraries"...and they weren't open 24/7!
      You might enjoy the book The Shallows by Nicholas Carr.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Shangrila Dr
      goo.gl/maps/SfuH1KBfUE52
      Too bad I didn't know, I could have swung by there when I went the Brewers game last summer. ;)
    • Astro wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Shangrila Drgoo.gl/maps/SfuH1KBfUE52
      Too bad I didn't know, I could have swung by there when I went the Brewers game last summer. ;)
      Pinewoods campground and the ice age trail are within easy walking distance.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Drybones wrote:

If you haven't already, you gotta do that....I'm about ready for my third round.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Grinder wrote:

I need some suggestions for N. Georgia trails that are NOT the AT. I'll be home 5 March-4 April. I'm staying in Blue Ridge (when not traveling elsewhere) and along with day hiking I'd like to get out for an overnighter or two here and there. Given that the AT will be swarmed with prospective thrus at that time I really don't want to contend with all that mess.
      Take the BMT south from Blue ridge. There is a nice couple of miles going through a dirt road and a field. About twenty minutes after leaving the field going up hill there is a decent campsite on the side of the trail. Camping on the field would also be cool. That four miles was one of my favorite parts of the BMT south of Blue ridge.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123