Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2017 - Hiking Plans.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Drybones wrote:

Started gathering up all my gear getting ready the Tetons next week, am I the only person who starts a week early to do a 30 minute job of packing?
      Nope, that's part of the fun of it. I've been playing with my stuff for my mid September hike for a month now. Changing my mind and second guessing myself on clothing choices mostly.
      Now I'm working on possible bail plans if the Whites are nasty and possibly some slack packing.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Started gathering up all my gear getting ready the Tetons next week, am I the only person who starts a week early to do a 30 minute job of packing?
      Nope, that's part of the fun of it. I've been playing with my stuff for my mid September hike for a month now. Changing my mind and second guessing myself on clothing choices mostly.Now I'm working on possible bail plans if the Whites are nasty and possibly some slack packing.
      You have a plan?
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Nope, that's part of the fun of it. I've been playing with my stuff for my mid September hike for a month now. Changing my mind and second guessing myself on clothing choices mostly.Now I'm working on possible bail plans if the Whites are nasty and possibly some slack packing.
      You have a plan?
      sort of. Amtrak to Rutland. Bus to the Inn at Killington. Hike north for as long as the weather and 3 weeks permits. Lake of the Clouds and Madison Hut will both be closed, so this may present a problem getting over Mt. Washington. May need to devise a way to slack pack it-maybe hike to summit and get shuttled down the auto road one day and back up it the next?????????
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • on my thru when i was mt. washington (in summer!) it started snowing with hurricane force winds (i learned this detail the next day). there is/was a van service that takes people up to mt washington and back -- it had space available so i paid em and rode down the mountain in style.
      2,000 miler
    • A friend and I have been planning to go out this weekend somewhere in the section that straddles the NC/TN border. Hadn't really nailed it down exactly yet but looking at fairly short, with a late Friday start, finishing Sunday. I've been watching the projected track for the remnants of Harvey as well as forecasts for Hot Springs, Roan Mountain, etc. The problem is there's a fair bit of variance (rain prediction wise) between weather.com, Intellicast, and Accuweather. Does anyone have any OTHER sites they've used that are fairly reliable?

I don't want to bail on the hike, and I'm willing to make a "game time" decision, but while I don't mind hiking in a bit of rain, I do NOT want to go out and spend half or more of the time walking in the friggin' rain. I did enough of that in the Corps without a choice.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • I was just looking at the weather for the Roan Highlands area a minute ago, planning to do 19E to Erwin starting 9/20 if the weather pattern holds, had originally planned it for October but I believe it's getting cold early this year, my son and wife did that area last week and said their second night was cold. Current forecast for Elk Park is 72*/52* for 9/13, I'll be 7 days later starting and camping at another 2000 ft elevation so I'm guessing it would be cool enough to hike that early....anyone interested in going?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Grinder wrote:

A friend and I have been planning to go out this weekend somewhere in the section that straddles the NC/TN border. Hadn't really nailed it down exactly yet but looking at fairly short, with a late Friday start, finishing Sunday. I've been watching the projected track for the remnants of Harvey as well as forecasts for Hot Springs, Roan Mountain, etc. The problem is there's a fair bit of variance (rain prediction wise) between weather.com, Intellicast, and Accuweather. Does anyone have any OTHER sites they've used that are fairly reliable?

I don't want to bail on the hike, and I'm willing to make a "game time" decision, but while I don't mind hiking in a bit of rain, I do NOT want to go out and spend half or more of the time walking in the friggin' rain. I did enough of that in the Corps without a choice.
      I just use noaa

ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/tatl/h5-loop-vis.html

nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.php
    • So far it's looking a lot better than before. Harvey is tracking more north, forecasts are storms tonight and less chance of rain tomorrow morning and Sunday than previously. I can hang...I think...for now. Still reserving the right to be a little b*tch and bail come morning before we set out.

Only an overnight hike but my friend's job doesn't give a damn about Labor Day, apparently so he has to work today and Monday. I thought about possibly coming down this way early and getting in another day or so, or staying another day or so, but I was having a lot of fun at battlefields (played impromptu guide at both Antietam and Gettysburg) so I didn't show up early. I might still stay out Sunday and Monday night, but I don't know. I might also find a cabin with last minute opening and vegetate in a hot tub/in front of a fireplace with a bottle of Lagavulin. :p
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • "(played impromptu guide at both Antietam and Gettysburg)"

Lucky you.

Welcome back to the USA. How long are you staying? Good luck on the weather patterns.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Grinder wrote:

So far it's looking a lot better than before. Harvey is tracking more north, forecasts are storms tonight and less chance of rain tomorrow morning and Sunday than previously. I can hang...I think...for now. Still reserving the right to be a little b*tch and bail come morning before we set out.

Only an overnight hike but my friend's job doesn't give a damn about Labor Day, apparently so he has to work today and Monday. I thought about possibly coming down this way early and getting in another day or so, or staying another day or so, but I was having a lot of fun at battlefields (played impromptu guide at both Antietam and Gettysburg) so I didn't show up early. I might still stay out Sunday and Monday night, but I don't know. I might also find a cabin with last minute opening and vegetate in a hot tub/in front of a fireplace with a bottle of Lagavulin. :p
      It's been raining since Wednesday afternoon. Supposedly it's clear today but looks dark and rainy to me.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Grinder wrote:

So far it's looking a lot better than before. Harvey is tracking more north, forecasts are storms tonight and less chance of rain tomorrow morning and Sunday than previously. I can hang...I think...for now. Still reserving the right to be a little b*tch and bail come morning before we set out.

Only an overnight hike but my friend's job doesn't give a damn about Labor Day, apparently so he has to work today and Monday. I thought about possibly coming down this way early and getting in another day or so, or staying another day or so, but I was having a lot of fun at battlefields (played impromptu guide at both Antietam and Gettysburg) so I didn't show up early. I might still stay out Sunday and Monday night, but I don't know. I might also find a cabin with last minute opening and vegetate in a hot tub/in front of a fireplace with a bottle of Lagavulin. :P
      It's been raining since Wednesday afternoon. Supposedly it's clear today but looks dark and rainy to me.
      I'm currently in Johnson City TN. Staying here overnight, driving to Carver Gap in the morning to drop one car, then parking the other at Mountain Harbor B&B/Hostel. Hiking 19E to Carver Gap. Short, especially for two days, but my fat a$$ needs short and reasonable.

Driving down 81 I ran into some rain, but somewhere along the line it cleared up. Looking outside now it's about half and half clouds and clear. Hoping the 20% chance of A.M. rain doesn't happen, but if so we'll deal. Supposed to be clear after that, and Sunday morning as well.
    • Grinder wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Only an overnight hike but my friend's job doesn't give a damn about Labor Day, apparently so he has to work today and Monday. I thought about possibly coming down this way early and getting in another day or so, or staying another day or so, but I was having a lot of fun at battlefields (played impromptu guide at both Antietam and Gettysburg) so I didn't show up early. I might still stay out Sunday and Monday night, but I don't know. I might also find a cabin with last minute opening and vegetate in a hot tub/in front of a fireplace with a bottle of Lagavulin. :P
      I'm currently in Johnson City TN. Staying here overnight, driving to Carver Gap in the morning to drop one car, then parking the other at Mountain Harbor B&B/Hostel. Hiking 19E to Carver Gap. Short, especially for two days, but my fat a$$ needs short and reasonable.
      Driving down 81 I ran into some rain, but somewhere along the line it cleared up. Looking outside now it's about half and half clouds and clear. Hoping the 20% chance of A.M. rain doesn't happen, but if so we'll deal. Supposed to be clear after that, and Sunday morning as well.
      Good to hear you'll have nice weather and you're hiking a great section. You can take your time over the steeper sections and enjoy the view. It's very windy here and continues to drizzle.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Getting it together.
      Surprised an Ultra-lite guy like you is still wearing Crocs. Figure you would have switched to vivobarefeet or come up some UL DIY camp shoe.
      I'm too much of a tight wad to spring for those. Those crocs are Dollar Store knock-offs at $5 and only 8 oz for the pair. I did make a camp shoe, but they were too floppy and unable to cross streams with them or use them in a shower.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I'm not ultra light this trip. I'm about 15 lbs before food and water. Taking my synthetic puffy jacket, and my 8 oz fleece pull over, two disposable hand warmers, luner solo tent (23 oz), and taking my Borah Gear bivy ( 7oz) to sleep in if I stay in any shelters or inside my tent if it gets down under 30 degrees. I don't like being cold.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I'm not ultra light this trip. I'm about 15 lbs before food and water. Taking my synthetic puffy jacket, and my 8 oz fleece pull over, two disposable hand warmers, luner solo tent (23 oz), and taking my Borah Gear bivy ( 7oz) to sleep in if I stay in any shelters or inside my tent if it gets down under 30 degrees. I don't like being cold.
      15 lbs, that is my summer weight. :rolleyes:
      Smart move taking extra stuff to keep you warm. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

when do you leave, jimmyjam?
      tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow....... :)
      AWESOME !!! :thumbup: Just wish I was going with you. :(
      I wish you were too. It would be nice to hike with someone I know.
      This time of year other than the weekends you be feeling like a lone wolf.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

So far so good.

The friend I hiked with last week may have converted me to a beer snob...we had meals at breweries along the way and tested the wares...don't recall the name, but the one in Jackson, WY was the best, excellent food at a reasonable price and excellent beer.
      snakeriverbrewing.com/

Most likely this establishment. I visit it on every trip to the Tetons.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dan76 ().