Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Manchester Center to Dartmouth

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Manchester Center to Dartmouth

Tomorrow I will plan a section hike to finish Massachusetts and Vermont. It looks like I can use BRTA and Vermont Translines to avoid hiking any part of the trail in both directions. I expect to walk south from Pittsfield / Kaywood Shelter to the Shaker campsite, ride busses to Manchester Center, hike north to Rutland, ride a bus to Dartmouth, hike south to Rutland, and ride a bus to Albany to catch Amtrak. By then I might be under 200 pounds (currently 203).
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • max.patch wrote:

i section hiked the state of VT a few years after my thru. the bus worked out great for me. drove to the trailhead, hiked to hanover, and then took the bus back to williamstown, MA about a mile from my car.
      Which bus company? In the morning Vermont Translines route 7 heads south to Rutland, where a transfer to route 4 goes east to Hanover. The afternoon routes operate in the other directions. So no transfer is possible heading west and then south, or north and then east. Which is why I plan to hike to Rutland from both directions.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i section hiked the state of VT a few years after my thru. the bus worked out great for me. drove to the trailhead, hiked to hanover, and then took the bus back to williamstown, MA about a mile from my car.
      Which bus company? In the morning Vermont Translines route 7 heads south to Rutland, where a transfer to route 4 goes east to Hanover. The afternoon routes operate in the other directions. So no transfer is possible heading west and then south, or north and then east. Which is why I plan to hike to Rutland from both directions.
      i don't remember exactly -- it had "green" in it's name -- so i poked around on the internet and couldn't find it. i bet they've either merged with another bus company or went bust. it was pretty much a straight shot from hanover to williamstown, only took about 3 hours or so -- i don't see how its possible to replicate today what i did. (well, greyhound goes from hanover to williamstown via boston in 11 hours which is ridiculous.)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i don't remember exactly -- it had "green" in it's name -- so i poked around on the internet and couldn't find it. i bet they've either merged with another bus company or went bust. it was pretty much a straight shot from hanover to williamstown, only took about 3 hours or so -- i don't see how its possible to replicate today what i did. (well, greyhound goes from hanover to williamstown via boston in 11 hours which is ridiculous.)
      Thanks. I have headed south from northern Illinois to Chicago to catch trains and busses north to Wisconsin.
    • max.patch wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Green Mountain Community Network greenmtncn.org/index.html runs from Williamstown to Bennington, and Bennington to Manchester.

Diamond Express between Rutland and the Inn at Long Trail. The Rutland bus station is out the back of Yellow Deli Hostel.