Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Packable Down Jackets

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Packable Down Jackets

I am looking to carry a lightweight packable down jacket on my NH walk. I am concerned with the temps in the Whites. I found a Outdoor Apparel Royal Falcon packable down jacket at Wal*Mart for $42.47. I doubt I will use it beyond the Whites. I know it is likely not suitable for a thru. I am not doing a thru. It appears that none of these type of jackets are designed to withstand much rain. I could use it as a pillow too. Any thoughts or advice?
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Packable Down Jackets

I think it is a bit overkill for a July hike. Yes you could get really cold weather but odds against that. What makes the Whites so dangerous is the hypotermia risks by unprepared hikers. Ie. cold & wet & windy. You won't be camping above tree line & wouldn't need it hiking. A good shell & and insulating layers are more flexible than a down jacket. What you used in ME should suffice in NH.
    • Re:Packable Down Jackets

I will be there in July. Even so, with an average 54° in July on top of Mount Washington with an average of 25 mph wind, you are somewhere around an average of 40°. And that is without rain and it could get colder. I like to prepare as best I can within reason.
    • Packable Down Jackets

Well Frogs are a good wind break. Please do not get the down at wally world. Fleece alone are best at 300 weight Polartec - not thin fleece.

I won't generate an Article on this. But Down has different properties you really do get what you pay for... I use several cheap down jackets... as you pay a little more - you clearly get better quality....

Low quality down is mostly feathers. Found that out the hard way.

Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Packable Down Jackets

You can buy a cheap down jacket from JC Penny in another month or two. They usually sell for $20, end of season sale. .. My wife did that last year. After a few uses she knew she wanted a higher quality one and waited for the Pantagonia sale. She ordered her new one last week. .. She likes Pantagonias colors otherwise I would have been able to talk her into getting one like mine, Montbell.
    • Packable Down Jackets

Dmax wrote:

You can buy a cheap down jacket from JC Penny in another month or two. They usually sell for $20, end of season sale. .. My wife did that last year. After a few uses she knew she wanted a higher quality one and waited for the Pantagonia sale. She ordered her new one last week. .. She likes Pantagonias colors otherwise I would have been able to talk her into getting one like mine, Montbell.

I will buy a better one if I like the concept of the WalMart version. Yes I bought it (for $29). I bought this one for 2 reasons: 1) I spend too much money on experiments and I consider this an experiment. 2) I met SonDiven on the trail in July near Balepate. He was wearing the Wally World version and had been doing so since Baxter. He loved his.

I will invest in a real one if I end up seeing value in the concept of this one. But then again, I might even end up liking it as much as my WalMart sticks and just keep using it.
    • Packable Down Jackets

Well RS made a decision... I have done the same thing... and to help Hikerboy out here is the old chart

Here is a few things to fill this thread out...before making a purchase...

Down is one of the most common materials to fill insulated jackets and gear. Down is actually the fluffy undercoating on the bird, not the feathers, and it is a lot of tiny interlocking fibers that trap body heat. Down has the highest heat to weight ratio of all insulation and is breathable, wicking away moisture. These properties make down a great choice for activities where we generate body heat, like skiing or snowshoeing. To trap warmth the down needs room to expand, this is loft. Never machine wash your down and always follow care label instructions. Down retains its shape and loft fairly easily and with proper care down can last a lifetime. However, when down gets wet it loses its loft and it also loses its heat catching properties. Additionally, it is also very slow to dry. We never recommend taking a down sleeping bag on a trip where it may get soaked, you will be cold! Down is recommended for trips where you are looking to pack light and stay dry.

So what’s the deal? Duck Vs. Goose

High loft goose down are very tiny fibers and is the warmest of insulation because it traps the most air. You will find high loft goose down in sleeping bags rated to very low temperatures and expedition-wear. Goose down is very fine and slightly less lofted. This is what we find in most down gear, and is less expensive. Duck down is the least fine down and less expensive. Essentially it will take more duck down get a temperature rating than goose down or high loft goose down.

Loft

Many people wonder what the “Fill” means on their sleeping bags. We see that an 800 fill down sleeping bag is more expensive than a 650 fill bag, but what does that really mean? Down is rated according to fill. If one ounce of down takes up 800 cubic inches than it is rated 800 fill down. High quality down has a higher fill power and loft, because the weight needed to keep you warm is less.
      The bottom line is, down is mother nature’s best insulator. For fall/winter clothing and camping, down will keep you warm, is highly packable and super lightweight. Whether your jacket is goose or duck, you will be warm. But, if you are watching your budget or the forecast says rain, you might want to go with synthetic insulation.

The Game Changer?

I love down in almost every situation, but if it gets wet, you get cold. Up until now, most down products were encased in waterproof, or resistant fabric to try and prevent a cold river trip or frozen day on the slopes. But, new technology is now working to make the down fiber itself water resistant. Without getting a guest post from a nano-technology scientist, the way we understand it is, the down has a micro- polymer coating that resists water and skin oil. The coating is applied near the end of manufacturing after the down has been washed. According to Sierra Designs, this will keep your down dry seven times longer than untreated down. We have seen tests of the feathers in water – and they do stay lofted. If these new down coatings really do resist water and decrease drying time, it really could be a game changer!

Anti Microbial - Anti Sweat - Anti everything - Downtek

• Packable Down Jackets

A number of years ago I was able to get a Patagonia Down Sweater at a really, really, really good price from their web site. It was the middle of summer and they had some down sweaters in one size, and one color. It was the right size but the color is something I never would have bought, except for the price. It's a good addition and useful for summer time in New England. Makes a pretty nice pillow too. So I guess the moral of the story is that bargins in good gear are available if your timing is right and your not too choosy.
    • Packable Down Jackets

hikerboy wrote:

i have a big agnes bag with downtek.

i would never wear down to hike in.

Oh sure! Now I get good information. More likely is I have not been listening good. Seems like half the pictures I have seen of you your wearing a down jacket. I made another bad assumption. Glad I bought the $29 version now.
    • Packable Down Jackets

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Oh sure! Now I get good information. More likely is I have not been listening good. Seems like half the pictures I have seen of you your wearing a down jacket. I made another bad assumption. Glad I bought the $29 version now.
      all of those pics are me wearing the ems micropuff.
      its all good
    • Packable Down Jackets

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Okay what is a micropuff and is it worth buying?
    • Packable Down Jackets

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Okay what is a micropuff and is it worth buying?

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18055726&lmdn=Brand&cp=3707807.12019738.12019742

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-nano-puff-jacket?p=84211-0
      its all good
    • Packable Down Jackets

Micropuff is a thin jacket with the same insulation as a synthetic sleeping bag - Primaloft is usually the fill.

HB I have hiked once in a bug out in winter in a non treated down jacket... it was heavy with sweat after 7-8 miles back to the car. I cant wait to try out the downtek version.

LIhikers.. I suggest down doesn't make a good pillow, unless its mostly feathers.
    • Packable Down Jackets

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Micropuff is a thin jacket with the same insulation as a synthetic sleeping bag - Primaloft is usually the fill.

HB I have hiked once in a bug out in winter in a non treated down jacket... it was heavy with sweat after 7-8 miles back to the car. I cant wait to try out the downtek version.

LIhikers.. I suggest down doesn't make a good pillow, unless its mostly feathers.
      you will sweat. i find my downtek bag to have a "clammy feel", much prefer my other winter bag.
      down is for camp, synthetic for hiking.
      its all good
    • Packable Down Jackets

hikerboy wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

you will sweat. i find my downtek bag to have a "clammy feel", much prefer my other winter bag.
      down is for camp, synthetic for hiking.

Got to agree. It has to be Super Cold before you would ever catch me hiking in down. Base layers and my rain jacket is what I use for my hiking. The down is for camp and lunch brakes. ...It also makes a Great pillow if left in its stuff sack. .. I do have a down pillow made by western mountaineering that I would throw in the trash, but I want to save the down for DIY projects. Damn thing ain't worth two cents.
      I wouldn't mind finding a plasma1000 on the side of the trail.
    • Packable Down Jackets

Yea I gave it some thought HB - when was the last time you washed it? If you haven't it would be clammy. Don't forget the tennis balls.

I just cleared the driveway in this down Dritek Jacket and although I am a little funky it performed fine.. its 32/18F out there and after an hour it wasn't soaking anything...
    • Packable Down Jackets

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Yea I gave it some thought HB - when was the last time you washed it? If you haven't it would be clammy. Don't forget the tennis balls.

I just cleared the driveway in this down Dritek Jacket and although I am a little funky it performed fine.. its 32/18F out there and after an hour it wasn't soaking anything...

i bought the bag at mtn crossings in march when i realized my wm highlite wasnt gonna cut it, and i sweated every night in that bag. its rated 18, but i swear its good down to 10 degrees.i took it on the overnight with lou last month and will use it on short trips when i know its gonna be wet out, but otherwise, i prefer my other bag.
      as far as the jacket goes, my needs are different.if im only gonna be out for a few nights, down is a persuasive argument, otherwise i prefer the micropuff. i hike in capilene midweight, microfleece polartec pullover and marmot mica jkt as my layering system, and will add the primaloft micropuff for insulation when it gets real cold.even when it gets soaked, will keep you warm, and dries faster than down.i do not want to have to carry a wet down jacket, when i take it in the winter, its tucked away in my compactor bag until camp,
      its all good
    • Packable Down Jackets

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Well RS made a decision... I have done the same thing... and to help Hikerboy out here is the old chart

Here is a few things to fill this thread out...before making a purchase...

Down is one of the most common materials to fill insulated jackets and gear. Down is actually the fluffy undercoating on the bird, not the feathers, and it is a lot of tiny interlocking fibers that trap body heat. Down has the highest heat to weight ratio of all insulation and is breathable, wicking away moisture. These properties make down a great choice for activities where we generate body heat, like skiing or snowshoeing. To trap warmth the down needs room to expand, this is loft. Never machine wash your down and always follow care label instructions. Down retains its shape and loft fairly easily and with proper care down can last a lifetime. However, when down gets wet it loses its loft and it also loses its heat catching properties. Additionally, it is also very slow to dry. We never recommend taking a down sleeping bag on a trip where it may get soaked, you will be cold! Down is recommended for trips where you are looking to pack light and stay dry.

So what’s the deal? Duck Vs. Goose

High loft goose down are very tiny fibers and is the warmest of insulation because it traps the most air. You will find high loft goose down in sleeping bags rated to very low temperatures and expedition-wear. Goose down is very fine and slightly less lofted. This is what we find in most down gear, and is less expensive. Duck down is the least fine down and less expensive. Essentially it will take more duck down get a temperature rating than goose down or high loft goose down.

Loft

Many people wonder what the “Fill” means on their sleeping bags. We see that an 800 fill down sleeping bag is more expensive than a 650 fill bag, but what does that really mean? Down is rated according to fill. If one ounce of down takes up 800 cubic inches than it is rated 800 fill down. High quality down has a higher fill power and loft, because the weight needed to keep you warm is less.
      The bottom line is, down is mother nature’s best insulator. For fall/winter clothing and camping, down will keep you warm, is highly packable and super lightweight. Whether your jacket is goose or duck, you will be warm. But, if you are watching your budget or the forecast says rain, you might want to go with synthetic insulation.

The Game Changer?

I love down in almost every situation, but if it gets wet, you get cold. Up until now, most down products were encased in waterproof, or resistant fabric to try and prevent a cold river trip or frozen day on the slopes. But, new technology is now working to make the down fiber itself water resistant. Without getting a guest post from a nano-technology scientist, the way we understand it is, the down has a micro- polymer coating that resists water and skin oil. The coating is applied near the end of manufacturing after the down has been washed. According to Sierra Designs, this will keep your down dry seven times longer than untreated down. We have seen tests of the feathers in water – and they do stay lofted. If these new down coatings really do resist water and decrease drying time, it really could be a game changer!

Anti Microbial - Anti Sweat - Anti everything - Downtek

I'm not sure what your referencing Woo, but maybe think about putting this in a article....it's article worthy.
    • Packable Down Jackets

]I'm not sure what your referencing Woo, but maybe think about putting this in a article....it's article worthy.

Well I think folks don't read much anymore, so forget the article for a moment.

Ten to five years ago a good down jacket for ski-ing was $300 made right here in the USA - now a better one is $150+- made in China... Sold at REI and LLBean...etc.

You only buy one for life.

Does that help?
    • Packable Down Jackets

WiseOldOwl wrote:

]I'm not sure what your referencing Woo, but maybe think about putting this in a article....it's article worthy.

Well I think folks don't read much anymore, so forget the article for a moment.

Ten to five years ago a good down jacket for ski-ing was $300 made right here in the USA - now a better one is $150+- made in China... Sold at REI and LLBean...etc.

You only buy one for life.

Does that help?
      with regard to your decision to purchase, yes....with regard to this, No.

I'm not following you.
    • A few years back I got a great deal on a Patagonia, down sweater.
      I was browsing their web site and saw that they had the down sweater on a Web Special.
      Only thing was they only had 1 size and 1 color at that price.
      It was my size, and I've gotten used to the color.
      It works good in camp, or around town, I don't think I'd hike in it.
    • Dmax wrote:

Wiseoldowl, how did the dritek work out for you during the winter??

The wife loves it so damn much she borrowed it to death. She LOOOOOOVES it. I haven't seen it in a while.

Drybones wrote:

You'd think that if you wash a down article in DWR treatment that the down as well as the fabric will become DWR treated.

Please do not confuse a DWR with an added electron to down where it repels water. This is not a chemical treatment Dri down appears to be a super repellent based on tech from the America's Cup.
    • hikerboy wrote:

tj maxx have $199 marmot down jkts on sale for $99. they usually have marmot jkts and fleece on sale at half off or better

I saw those, they also had another name brand for $49 that was lighter weight but not as good as the Walmart jacket I got last year, I checked to see if Walmart has them again this year but did not see them, I have one of those $199 Marmots but haven't worn it since getting the $18 Walmart jacket, really like it.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

tj maxx have $199 marmot down jkts on sale for $99. they usually have marmot jkts and fleece on sale at half off or better
      <br><br>I saw those, they also had another name brand for $49 that was lighter weight but not as good as the Walmart jacket I got last year, I checked to see if Walmart has them again this year but did not see them, I have one of those $199 Marmots but haven't worn it since getting the $18 Walmart jacket, really like it.
      <br><br>

I went back to TJ max today while I was waiting on an oil change, those Marmot jackets are nothing like the jacket I have, don't know what insulation is in them but there's no loft at all and it doesn't really feel like down.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.