Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

hiking plans 2016

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Had a similar occurrence in the SE while in HS as the 'No Camping' sign was posted high in an overgrown tree. A good thing we didn't have alcohol as we were underage but about 0500, we were surrounded by several LEO types inquiring to our intent.

This was my initial exposure to profiling as the three whites after a glance at our IDs were quickly free to go while the Hispanics in the group were rudely interrogated and had their IDs run through the system.

We all stuck around and listened to the near abuse our buddies endured, though the officers 'encouraged' us to depart the area.

A sad awakening to the realities of society.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • mental note wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

We are now camped on top of Max Patch. Unfreaking believable!!!!!! :)
      Make sure you don't notice the "no camping" signs
      Once a buddy and I rolled into the woods late at night, found a beautiful little spot by a creek and it had a fire ring ta boot, we set up camp, made a fire, cooked some dinner and had a few beers...Next Mormon' out side the tent I hear my buddy Laughlin'Me "What's up"
      He "check this out"
      I crawl outta the tent and see him pointing up in the air, I'm looking for an airplane, "what"?
      He says "there, right there"
      On the tree was a sign that read.

NO Camping
      NO Fires
      NO Alcohol

Oopsies
      :D

So yeah, as Rasty says...never look around to hard. ;)
      Was this around Sunfish pond by chance?
      Only but a stones throw away...and what's with all the stone stackin' at the pond, dumbest thing I ever seen.
      Wait 'til you get to Killington!

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

mental note wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Once a buddy and I rolled into the woods late at night, found a beautiful little spot by a creek and it had a fire ring ta boot, we set up camp, made a fire, cooked some dinner and had a few beers...Next Mormon' out side the tent I hear my buddy Laughlin'Me "What's up"He "check this out"
      I crawl outta the tent and see him pointing up in the air, I'm looking for an airplane, "what"?

NO Camping
      NO Fires
      NO Alcohol

Oopsies

Only but a stones throw away...and what's with all the stone stackin' at the pond, dumbest thing I ever seen.

If I ever get to killington I'll camp there over night and toss every one of those rocks downhill.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

mental note wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Once a buddy and I rolled into the woods late at night, found a beautiful little spot by a creek and it had a fire ring ta boot, we set up camp, made a fire, cooked some dinner and had a few beers...Next Mormon' out side the tent I hear my buddy Laughlin'Me "What's up"He "check this out"

NO Camping
      NO Fires
      NO Alcohol

Oopsies

They are just collection points before they ship them to PA & distibute them on the trail. High use is wearing them down & they need replacement.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

mental note wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Once a buddy and I rolled into the woods late at night, found a beautiful little spot by a creek and it had a fire ring ta boot, we set up camp, made a fire, cooked some dinner and had a few beers...Next Mormon' out side the tent I hear my buddy Laughlin'Me "What's up"He "check this out"I crawl outta the tent and see him pointing up in the air, I'm looking for an airplane, "what"?

NO Camping
      NO Fires
      NO Alcohol

Oopsies

They are just collection points before they ship them to PA & distibute them on the trail. High use is wearing them down & they need replacement.
      Assuming all goes well with NH and ME this summer, I really would like to plan a Thru for 2020. But I must admit the PA rocks is one thing I would not look forward to doing again. :thumbdown:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

mental note wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Once a buddy and I rolled into the woods late at night, found a beautiful little spot by a creek and it had a fire ring ta boot, we set up camp, made a fire, cooked some dinner and had a few beers...Next Mormon' out side the tent I hear my buddy Laughlin'Me "What's up"He "check this out"I crawl outta the tent and see him pointing up in the air, I'm looking for an airplane, "what"?He says "there, right there"

NO Camping
      NO Fires
      NO Alcohol

Oopsies

Assuming all goes well with NH and ME this summer, I really would like to plan a Thru for 2020. But I must admit the PA rocks is one thing I would not look forward to doing again. :thumbdown:
      you're in-luck, you don't have to just call 1-800-this-sucks! And skip ahead for greener pastures.

I bet if I ran a shuttle just around the PA rocks, I could pull down some good dough on it.
    • That looks like a holy terrier.

I helped pile a few rocks when my dad built a rock wall between the driveway and the yard. Sometimes I put rocks over my guy lines. I placed some rocks as stepping stones across running water. I placed some rocks to divert water off the trail and control erosion. But I never built a cairn - really.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does

The post was edited 1 time, last by WanderingStovie ().

• Drybones wrote:

I plan to spend 3 or 4 days at Linville Gorge sometime after Thanksgiving, may make it all backpacking or set up a base camp or rent a cabin and do day hikes...anyone have any suggestions as to sights to see and best trails?
      Best hike in my opinion start from the Babel Tower trailhead parking lot.

Hike down the Babel Tower trail and head south on the Linville gorge trail until the Spence Ridge river crossing which is a real easy dry crossing unless it's a really high water day which is rare. Take the Spence Ridge trail uphill and then take the incredibly steep Little Table Rock trail to Table Rock Mountain. Hike south on the Mountain to Sea trail and go down back into the gorge and cross the river back to the west side then take the MST to the Leadville Mine trail and get back on the Linville Gorge trail going north back to the babel tower trail.

I know of some amazing campsites if your interested.

Get the Avenza map from Linvillegorge.net the app and map make navigating in the gorge easy

The car camping along the Kistler highway is cool also.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I plan to spend 3 or 4 days at Linville Gorge sometime after Thanksgiving, may make it all backpacking or set up a base camp or rent a cabin and do day hikes...anyone have any suggestions as to sights to see and best trails?
      Best hike in my opinion start from the Babel Tower trailhead parking lot.
      Hike down the Babel Tower trail and head south on the Linville gorge trail until the Spence Ridge river crossing which is a real easy dry crossing unless it's a really high water day which is rare. Take the Spence Ridge trail uphill and then take the incredibly steep Little Table Rock trail to Table Rock Mountain. Hike south on the Mountain to Sea trail and go down back into the gorge and cross the river back to the west side then take the MST to the Leadville Mine trail and get back on the Linville Gorge trail going north back to the babel tower trail.

Get the Avenza map from Linvillegorge.net the app and map make navigating in the gorge easy

Thanks for the info Rasty...I already printed the map, had to tape 5 pages together but it has good info.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Best hike in my opinion start from the Babel Tower trailhead parking lot.Hike down the Babel Tower trail and head south on the Linville gorge trail until the Spence Ridge river crossing which is a real easy dry crossing unless it's a really high water day which is rare. Take the Spence Ridge trail uphill and then take the incredibly steep Little Table Rock trail to Table Rock Mountain. Hike south on the Mountain to Sea trail and go down back into the gorge and cross the river back to the west side then take the MST to the Leadville Mine trail and get back on the Linville Gorge trail going north back to the babel tower trail.

Thanks for the info Rasty...I already printed the map, had to tape 5 pages together but it has good info.

Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Best hike in my opinion start from the Babel Tower trailhead parking lot.Hike down the Babel Tower trail and head south on the Linville gorge trail until the Spence Ridge river crossing which is a real easy dry crossing unless it's a really high water day which is rare. Take the Spence Ridge trail uphill and then take the incredibly steep Little Table Rock trail to Table Rock Mountain. Hike south on the Mountain to Sea trail and go down back into the gorge and cross the river back to the west side then take the MST to the Leadville Mine trail and get back on the Linville Gorge trail going north back to the babel tower trail.

I'm interested...what are your favorites?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I'm interested...what are your favorites?
      35.89032, -81.89683 Linville trail

35.83227, -81.90247 MST amazing Cliffside spot

35.87639, -81.88825 Chimneys spot

35.92972, -81.91115 Small spot at the trail intersection
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123