Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

hiking plans 2016

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• hiking plans 2016

My LASHer hiking buddy, Slingshot, asked me a couple of days ago if I was interested in doing a little hiking end of summer? Ummm Heck yeah!!!
      So we are developing a plan to escape from our jobs for few weeks and hike SOBO from Damascus. The wheels are turning!!!
      :thumbsup:
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Slingshot and I have decided carry a little whiskey on this LASH. Not lightening our loads as we'll still pack a beer a piece out of each town. :-). So 2 or 3 weeks, October, whiskey, beer, Damascus, sobo. That's the extent of our plan.
      It's the right way to do it all wrong. :D
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Slingshot and I have decided carry a little whiskey on this LASH. Not lightening our loads as we'll still pack a beer a piece out of each town. :-). So 2 or 3 weeks, October, whiskey, beer, Damascus, sobo. That's the extent of our plan.
      It's the right way to do it all wrong. :D
      Have Fun. I guess I've been doing it wrong the wrong way.
      As long as you're doing it, it can't be wrong.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I'm wondering how the fall colors will be in the GSMNP during the third week of October? Here in VA it would be prime leaf peeper season in the SNP. We've been doing a little more planning and scheming and I'm starting to get excited.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I'm wondering how the fall colors will be in the GSMNP during the third week of October? Here in VA it would be prime leaf peeper season in the SNP. We've been doing a little more planning and scheming and I'm starting to get excited.
      Based on my experience with Franklin, NC early to mid October is usually prime time for Fall colors.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

My thru hike of Main Street in Hanover came up a bit short. We parked at 27 Main Street and hiked down to Mollies at 43 Main Street, missing the west half of the block. Tomorrow we will be attempting an epic thru hike of Lebanon Street, going to the Base Camp Cafe at 3 Lebanon Street.
      Will this be a self-supported FKT? Or do you have a trail crew? :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

My thru hike of Main Street in Hanover came up a bit short. We parked at 27 Main Street and hiked down to Mollies at 43 Main Street, missing the west half of the block. Tomorrow we will be attempting an epic thru hike of Lebanon Street, going to the Base Camp Cafe at 3 Lebanon Street.
      This will be a supported FKT attempt. My wife and friend from Turkmenistan will be the support crew. Despite all the stops for shopping, this will at certainly be the FKT for a Tukmen supported hike to a Nepalese restaurant.
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

This will be a supported FKT attempt. My wife and friend from Turkmenistan will be the support crew. Despite all the stops for shopping, this will at certainly be the FKT for a Tukmen supported hike to a Nepalese restaurant.
      I find I need to add 30 minutes if my wife is along and another 30 if the pooch goes. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

Hope you didn't miss any saloons.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • odd man out wrote:

fill in the gaps when you can so you can apply for the patch.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

As per Google Maps, it was a hike of 240 feet. So I only have 11,558,208 feet to go.
    • max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

...and then swing by white blaze to check an see if you've been adjudicated and good guy or not...cause that's real important. :thumbsup:
    • I am planning on hiking about 10 miles on the Pinhoti. Trail in a very few weeks.

The Jansport. Pack fits well. My other pack has a support that puts it right across my spine. I didn't have the belt on either cinched just closed.

Walked around the yard today for a few minutes with just the new tent in my pack. Other than the metal rod hitting my spine. It was comfy and easy on me. Check the shoulder straps and see if they are misadjusted.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • I think we have our logistics figured out. Drive to Damascus hike to Fontana. Shuttle to rental car in Franklin. Drive to Abingdon to return car. Shuttle back to Damascus. Only about two weeks to go- I guess I should tell 'em at work that I'm taking another sabbatical in the mountains. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Drybones wrote:

Got an email from a friend today wanting to hike the third week of October, I'm thinking we do Linville Gorge to Mt Mitchell on the MTS trail.
      I think Mt. Mitchell was where the AT was originally supposed to go through until the Klingmon Dome folks won out.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I think we have our logistics figured out. Drive to Damascus hike to Fontana. Shuttle to rental car in Franklin. Drive to Abingdon to return car. Shuttle back to Damascus. Only about two weeks to go- I guess I should tell 'em at work that I'm taking another sabbatical in the mountains. :)
      JJ, so if you are going to Franklin, does that mean you are going to pick up section between 64 and old 64, so I won't have to "proxy hike" for you?
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I think we have our logistics figured out. Drive to Damascus hike to Fontana. Shuttle to rental car in Franklin. Drive to Abingdon to return car. Shuttle back to Damascus. Only about two weeks to go- I guess I should tell 'em at work that I'm taking another sabbatical in the mountains. :)
      JJ, so if you are going to Franklin, does that mean you are going to pick up section between 64 and old 64, so I won't have to "proxy hike" for you?
      Astro I'm not sure where that is??
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Mile 106.7 (Wallace Gap, Old Murphy Road) to 109.8 (Winding Stair). I thought that was the section you skipped near Franklin, NC
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Mile 106.7 (Wallace Gap, Old Murphy Road) to 109.8 (Winding Stair). I thought that was the section you skipped near Franklin, NC
      You are right. I skipped that little piece in 2013. I'm not a purist. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

That's what HB use ta do, get wild hair and just cut out!
    • mental note wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Used to do? What makes you think he still isn't doing it. :)
    • Astro wrote:

mental note wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

i think he's still stumpin for bernie in case hillary gets indicted for something or another and they need a last minute replacement on the ticket.
      2,000 miler
    • i was gonna head to florida for a couple days -- maybe do one of those ocean backpacking trips that the wood man recommends -- but we're outta gas here and the last thing i wanna do is hang out at a truck waiting for the tanker to come. i'm hanging close to home until they get this thing figgured out. getting to springer and back uses more than 1/2 tank so thats out too.

edit: the racetrac near my house which ran out saturday afternoon just had a tanker pull up. every pump has a car parked next to it waiting for the delivery to be finished.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Astro wrote:

mental note wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

yes, but he also use ta do it too. :D
    • Bodyman wrote:

He just got home from Maine.........Stratton to Caratunk...........I couldn't go. I was lucky to get away for my Roan trip. We have been crazy busy....the boss took 1 day this summer!
      I really appreciate you making it out to see me when I was in CT! :thumbup:
    • Astro wrote:

mental note wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Obviously he's not, because he isn't here posting about it, and we all know that if it's not on the innerwebz it didn't happen!
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee