Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Fake foods.... in trail towns....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Fake foods.... in trail towns....

Recently Dunkin Donuts made a small change to their Egg sandwich where they upped the "yoke" as in joke to add size and flavor....turns out... its a fake looking fried egg. Now honestly I was a little skived by finding out this... As a kid working briefly in fast food, I thought everyone used a ring and dumped an egg on the griddle!

Here is an DD Apple Donut

INGREDIENTS: Croissant Donut: Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Ascorbic Acid, Folic Acid, Enzymes), Water, Unsalted Butter, Sugar, Palm Oil, Yeast, Whey Powder (Milk), Salt, Wheat Gluten; Apple Filling: Water, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Evaporated Apples, Modified Food Starch, Contains 2% or less of each of the following: Natural Flavor, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Salt, Cinnamon, Malic Acid, Nutmeg; Glaze: Sugar, Water, Maltodextrin, Contains 2% or less of: Propylene Glycol, Mono and Diglycerides (Emulsifier), Cellulose Gum, Agar, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Vanillin (an Artificial Flavor); Red Icing: [White Icing: Sugar, Water, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cottonseed Oil, Contains 2% or less: Maltodextrin, Dextrose, Soybean Oil, Corn Starch, Artificial Flavor, Salt, Titanium Dioxide (Color), Sodium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Citric Acid, Polyglycerol Esters of Fatty Acids, Agar, Soy Lecithin (Emulsifier); Red Coloring: Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Glycerin, Modified Food Starch, Sugar, Carrageenan Gum, Sodium Benzoate and Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives), Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid; May Contain FD&C Blue 1, FD&C Blue 2, FD&C Red 3, FD&C Red 40, FD&C Yellow 6, FD&C Yellow 5].May contain traces of Eggs and Tree Nuts (Pecans, Hazelnuts).

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Here is the DD fake egg in a Bagel & sausage

CONTAINS ALLERGENS: Eggs, Milk, Soy, Wheat

INGREDIENTS: Plain Bagel: Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Sugar, Malt Extract, Degermed Yellow Corn Meal, Yeast, Salt, Natural Ferment Flavor (Cultured Wheat and Wheat Malt Flours, Vinegar, Salt), Molasses, Dough Conditioner (Malted Barley Flour, Enzymes, Dextrose), Soy (Trace); Sausage: Pork, Water, Contains 2% or less of: Salt, Caramel Color, Spices and Flavorings, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate, Sugar, Monosodium Glutamate, BHT, Propyl Gallate, Citric Acid; Fried Egg: Egg Whites, Water, Egg Yolks, Modified Corn Starch, Natural Sauteed Flavor (Soybean Oil, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Natural Flavor), Salt, Artificial Butter Flavor (Propylene Glycol, Artificial Flavor), Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Coarse Ground Black Pepper; Cheese: American Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Water, Dry Cream, Milkfat, Sodium Citrate, Salt, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Annatto and Oleoresin Paprika Color (if colored), Soy Lecithin (non-sticking agent).

BK CHICKEN NUGGETS (Fried) Apparently better than Mc D.

Chicken Breast Pattie Fritters with Rib Meat Chicken Breast with Rib Meat, Water, Flavoring [Potassium Chloride, Flavoring,
      Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Maltodextrin (Corn, Potato), Salt, Chicken Fat, Contains less than 2% (Chicken Broth, Citric Acid, Dextrin, Disodium Inosinate & Disodium
      Guanylate, Dried Chicken, Mannitol, Modified Cornstarch)], Modified Food Starch, Salt, Sodium Phosphates. BATTERED WITH: Water, Wheat Flour, Modified Wheat
      Starch, Modified Corn Starch, Salt, Sodium Gluconate, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Dextrose, Spices,
      Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Extractives of Turmeric. PREDUSTED WITH: Wheat Flour, Modified Corn Starch, Wheat Gluten, Salt, Leavening (Sodium Aluminum
      Phosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Sodium Gluconate, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Potassium Chloride, Spice. Breading Set in Vegetable Oil.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

So my question is simple... what the HELL happened?
      Greed and short term P/E ratios...
      Forgot to add, years ago we began to show a preference (or at least an acceptance) of consistency over quality.

You can't get large scale consistently using fresh real ingredients.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Probably right as the Interstates were being put in, during the 1950s. My parents and I went up the east coast to visit his relatives. One of the biggest complaints I heard, not just from us, was lack of consistency in the food. If we bought burgers on the Jersy Turnpike, the bun was bigger than the meat. In Texas, where I grew up, the meat and the bun were large, a half pound of meat after cooking. And some touristy places sold food I wouldn't slop hogs with. So while consistency is a good idea, a 'consistent list of dried food and chemicals' isn't.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • In addition to the price earning thing that elf notes, all those chemicals add shelf life and as mentioned a consistent looking product no matter how much time it spends just sittin' around, also holds up pretty well no matter what chuckle head cooks the crap outta it. there is something very satisfying baking a loaf of bread from 3 or 4 whole ingredients.

Then again a sausage egg and cheese biscuit can sure hit the spot at times. :D But yeah, total crap some of this fake food is.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• JimBlue wrote:

Probably right as the Interstates were being put in, during the 1950s. My parents and I went up the east coast to visit his relatives. One of the biggest complaints I heard, not just from us, was lack of consistency in the food. If we bought burgers on the Jersy Turnpike, the bun was bigger than the meat. In Texas, where I grew up, the meat and the bun were large, a half pound of meat after cooking. And some touristy places sold food I wouldn't slop hogs with. So while consistency is a good idea, a 'consistent list of dried food and chemicals' isn't.
      there's an old sayin

"If your gonna serve bad coffee, make sure it's bad all the time"

Other wise folks won't stand for good coffee one day and bad the next...makes sense to me anyway.
    • mental note wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Probably right as the Interstates were being put in, during the 1950s. My parents and I went up the east coast to visit his relatives. One of the biggest complaints I heard, not just from us, was lack of consistency in the food. If we bought burgers on the Jersy Turnpike, the bun was bigger than the meat. In Texas, where I grew up, the meat and the bun were large, a half pound of meat after cooking. And some touristy places sold food I wouldn't slop hogs with. So while consistency is a good idea, a 'consistent list of dried food and chemicals' isn't.
      there's an old sayin
      "If your gonna serve bad coffee, make sure it's bad all the time"

Other wise folks won't stand for good coffee one day and bad the next...makes sense to me anyway.
      That's the philosophy I went with when I started making coffee at home instead of buying it!

Sure it's bad, but it's reliably bad, and it tastes a lot better now that I realize that the $2-$6 I was spending on a cup or three of coffee every day was costing me well over $1,000 a year.

The switch has also saved several hundred useless disposable cups from hitting the landfill.

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • I know long distance hikers need (and crave) tons of carbs but it boggles my mind the crap they eat. Has anyone had success maintaining a relatively healthy diet while long-distance hiking?

I wonder about the long-term effects of eating this stuff for 6 months. Is it easy to go back to a healthy diet afterwards or do people gain weight because they've developed bad habits?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I know long distance hikers need (and crave) tons of carbs but it boggles my mind the crap they eat. Has anyone had success maintaining a relatively healthy diet while long-distance hiking?

I wonder about the long-term effects of eating this stuff for 6 months. Is it easy to go back to a healthy diet afterwards or do people gain weight because they've developed bad habits?
      My cholesterol went from 190 to 140 eating junk on my LASH last year. Lost 19 lbs. Gained about 8 back and fighting to maintain.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I know long distance hikers need (and crave) tons of carbs but it boggles my mind the crap they eat. Has anyone had success maintaining a relatively healthy diet while long-distance hiking?

My cholesterol went from 190 to 140 eating junk on my LASH last year. Lost 19 lbs. Gained about 8 back and fighting to maintain.
      This supports my assumption that the vigorous exercise you get hiking all day overcomes poor hiking diets. I feel no guilt hiking into a convenience store and eating a bag of potato chips.

WanderingStovie wrote:

I generally eat less meat and dairy products when hiking, so less cholesterol.
      Cholesterol in your diet is not a health problem. Neither is saturated fat. No reason to avoid them, on trail or off.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

I have had blood and urine analyzed after hiking a couple of weeks. I was low on potassium, but otherwise within range. I rested a few days between hiking and giving samples so CPK would not be out of range.
      I try to eat a relatively nutritious diet when hiking (I pack plenty of junk as well, but try to have the major meals relatively healthy) and I find that getting enough potassium in my diet is a major challenge. I sweat far more than the average person as well, sonI consider potassium to be even more important for me.

This last hike I went as far as to add a small amount of Morton's Lite Salt to my drink mix just for the potassium.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I have had blood and urine analyzed after hiking a couple of weeks. I was low on potassium, but otherwise within range. I rested a few days between hiking and giving samples so CPK would not be out of range.
      I try to eat a relatively nutritious diet when hiking (I pack plenty of junk as well, but try to have the major meals relatively healthy) and I find that getting enough potassium in my diet is a major challenge. I sweat far more than the average person as well, sonI consider potassium to be even more important for me.
      This last hike I went as far as to add a small amount of Morton's Lite Salt to my drink mix just for the potassium.
      I've sprinkled Lite Salt on my trail mix. I also eat lentils. They are supposed to be a good source of potassium.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I forgot to mention that I had my cholesterol checked last month and it's up to 180. I guess it really is time to go take a hike.
      That's interesting, JJ. You ate what you wanted when hiking and your cholesterol decreased then you came home and it increased. It sounds like you're trying to watch your diet to maintain your weight(?) yet it still increased to what it was pre-hike (or close to it).

That's the part I'm interested in...if your body undergoes a "rebound" effect.

A similar thing can happen with significant weight loss in a short amount of time and many people will gain the weight back plus more...I think it affects the metabolic system.

OMO, I'm with you. I eat what I want on and off the trail and never feel guilt...what's the point? I know my diet is mainly healthy and have no trouble maintaining my weight so if i want a burger and fries, that's what I eat.

(And now I'm hungry for a burger and fries)

Edit...with bacon
      Lost in the right direction.
    • For potassium, I eat raisin bran with milk in town. Dollar Tree sells milk in quart containers that does not need refrigeration. Various stores sell evaporated milk in a can. So I could take milk on the trail, at least the first day after resupply.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • max.patch wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I was thinking about taking a few small bottles of Carnation Breakfast Essentials. Apparently its basically chocolate milk, but doesn't need refrigeration.
      oh don't do that. there are plenty of powdered options - including carnation breakfast essentials - that you can just add cold creek water to it.
      Personally I'm wary of any powder that is as over fortified as the carnation breakfast stuff. I can't imagine that it's healthy slamming your body with the amount of calcium and other vitamins that is in two packets of that stuff.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

max.patch wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I was thinking about taking a few small bottles of Carnation Breakfast Essentials. Apparently its basically chocolate milk, but doesn't need refrigeration.
      oh don't do that. there are plenty of powdered options - including carnation breakfast essentials - that you can just add cold creek water to it.
      Personally I'm wary of any powder that is as over fortified as the carnation breakfast stuff. I can't imagine that it's healthy slamming your body with the amount of calcium and other vitamins that is in two packets of that stuff.
      i don't use them myself, although plenty of other hikers do. i think its hard to beat oatmeal for breakfast when hiking, which is what i have probably 80% of the time.
      2,000 miler