Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Back in the day with food....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Back in the day with food....

EATING IN THE FIFTIES
      Pasta had not been invented. It was macaroni or spaghetti.
      Curry was a surname.
      A take-away was a mathematical problem.
      Pizza? Sounds like a leaning tower somewhere.
      Bananas and oranges only appeared at Christmas time.
      All chips were plain. Plain Popcorn was a treat.
      Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking.
      Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.
      Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.
      Chickens didn't have fingers in those days.
      None of us had ever heard of yogurt.
      Healthy food consisted of anything edible.
      Cooking outside was called camping or BBQ.
      Seaweed was not a recognized food.
      'Kebab' was not even a word, never mind a food.
      Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as being white gold.
      Potatoes and real gravy was built like a volcano on a plate.
      Prunes were medicinal.
      Surprisingly muesli was readily available. It was called cattle feed.
      Pineapples came in chunks in a tin; we had only ever seen a picture of a real one.
      Dessert Gelatin & fruit salad Cake & PIE!
      Water came out of the tap. If someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than gasoline for it, they would have become a laughing stock.
      The one thing that wenever ever had on/at our table in the fifties ... was

elbows, hats and cell phones!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • my wife has a couple of heirloom cookbooks that have been passed down through the generations. One is from the late 1800s and the other early 1900s. Interesting difference is the older book has no processed or commercial product in the ingredient list where the latter one does. It does have a Passanger Pigeon recipe.
    • Passenger Pigeons were so tasty, they are extinct.

We had lard when I was little, then changed to Crisco. Beef and chicken. We had chickens in the yard which also gave us fried chicken. If we wanted fish, we either had to get a license and cath it ourselves or late to mid-1950s, get some rather awful fish sticks. I remember when frozen tv dinners came out. Breakfast was bacon, eggs, toast; or a bowl of cerial with lots of sugar.

An old camping book I had, no idea where it is today probably lost, had recipes for; bear, different birds, porcupine, snakes, etc. Blue hard back cover. About 6" x 8", maybe smaller, around 300 pages. A number of pages on making camp kitchens out of saplings.

Probably 1960 when we changed to liquid cooking oil.

I saw shrimp at appetizers rarely, typically for Thanksgiving when we could afford it. Probably 2 or 3 times before 1965.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • I remember my mom used to come up with some reason to celebrate (not easy in those days). So on Sat. morning she'd send us boys out on errands. She'd send one brother to the ice house for ice and rock salt, next brother she'd send to the A&W with clean milk jugs to get a gallon or two of root beer. And me being the oldest, she'd send me to the miles away farmers market for fresh cream and whatever fruit she wanted. We'd all disburse on our bikes knowing we're in for a root beer and home made ice cream afternoon. Even the neighbor kids got in on it. The old man was usually off on a drunk so he was no bother until late.

good ole days, right?
    • I had a soda about once a week when I was a kid, they cost 5 cents back then. I remember when the 10 fluid ounce Coke Colas came out, 10 cents ! Gee all my friends and I were upset. Same as when comics went from 10 cents to 12 cents. When they went to 25 cents, I stopped buying them. It was awful.

I could get a small bag, about 2 inches wide by 3 inches deep, full of candy for 25 cents. Then chocolate bars went up from 5 cents ! Auuuggghhh !

I could ride my bicycle downtown. Get a half pound burger for 25 cents, soda 5 cents, and fries 10 cents.
      --
    • LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

When I was growing up, going out to eat and drinking soda was reserved for special occasions.
      Yep, same here except I've never been big on soda.I still don't hardly drink the stuff ........he says as he goes to the fridge for a beer gif.013.gif
      I have friends in the medical field whom claim not to have consumed soda in years due to health concerns. However both are dedicated beer connoisseurs.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

When I was growing up, going out to eat and drinking soda was reserved for special occasions.
      Yep, same here except I've never been big on soda.I still don't hardly drink the stuff ........he says as he goes to the fridge for a beer gif.013.gif
      I have friends in the medical field whom claim not to have consumed soda in years due to health concerns. However both are dedicated beer connoisseurs.
      I'm like that. I have not had a soda in over 30 years and my stomach and kidneys are thankful for that.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Makes sense. Beer is healthy. One of my favorite bits of nutritional wisdom is "Don't blame modern problems on ancient foods." Beer has been around for at least 6000 years. Large scale soda consumption for 50 years. Which one coincides with the obesity epidemic?
    • JimBlue wrote:

I had a soda about once a week when I was a kid, they cost 5 cents back then. I remember when the 10 fluid ounce Coke Colas came out, 10 cents ! Gee all my friends and I were upset. Same as when comics went from 10 cents to 12 cents. When they went to 25 cents, I stopped buying them. It was awful.

I could get a small bag, about 2 inches wide by 3 inches deep, full of candy for 25 cents. Then chocolate bars went up from 5 cents ! Auuuggghhh !

I could ride my bicycle downtown. Get a half pound burger for 25 cents, soda 5 cents, and fries 10 cents.
      I remember paying 6 cents, but like you, that was the store brand...my how things have changed.
    • The 5 cents for a candy bar was a Hershey bar. Not a store brand candy. One ounce of solid chocolate. I think it tasted better than the chocolate bars made today. Sugar. No high fructose syrup. No breaks for snacking. It was one solid bar of chocolate with the company name on it. Delicious !
      --
    • back in the day (to keep this on topic) i woulda been all over this -- but its been decades since i've had one of these...

its 7/11, so head over to your nearest 7-11 and get your free slurpee.

no extra charge for the brain freeze.

edit to add: i don't understand what this thread has to do with "actual hiking"
      2,000 miler
    • JimBlue wrote:

I had a soda about once a week when I was a kid, they cost 5 cents back then. I remember when the 10 fluid ounce Coke Colas came out, 10 cents ! Gee all my friends and I were upset. Same as when comics went from 10 cents to 12 cents. When they went to 25 cents, I stopped buying them. It was awful.

Sadly kids these days won't have these types of memories since they're not allowed to earn their own money and certainly not allowed to ride their bikes downtown on their own. :(
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • max.patch wrote:

back in the day (to keep this on topic) i woulda been all over this -- but its been decades since i've had one of these...

its 7/11, so head over to your nearest 7-11 and get your free slurpee.

no extra charge for the brain freeze.

edit to add: i don't understand what this thread has to do with "actual hiking"
      it's on topic because I take chocolate on hikes. After it gets solid at night. I break it up using a rock. Just like my ancestors would have.
      --
    • mental note wrote:

I still have a two burner Coleman suitcase stove, double mantel lantern, enamel coffee cups and maybe a plate...and a purculator.
      we have a small pop up camper we have used for family car camping. We equipped it with all the old pots and pans and dishes we had. My mother donated the circa late 50s melmac plates we used when I was a kid. The have an authentic and nostalgic retro look, including the outline of what looks like a Marijuana leaf. Fun times
    • odd man out wrote:

mental note wrote:

I still have a two burner Coleman suitcase stove, double mantel lantern, enamel coffee cups and maybe a plate...and a purculator.
      we have a small pop up camper we have used for family car camping. We equipped it with all the old pots and pans and dishes we had. My mother donated the circa late 50s melmac plates we used when I was a kid. The have an authentic and nostalgic retro look, including the outline of what looks like a Marijuana leaf. Fun times
      I got rid of my old Jayco pop-up about 10 years ago...I should have restore it instead, but was looking at a new one, then that fell thru as my situation changed.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Sadly kids these days won't have these types of memories since they're not allowed to earn their own money and certainly not allowed to ride their bikes downtown on their own. :(
      By the time my son was 16 he had earned and saved enough money cutting grass to buy a Bronco...which he proceeded to put a lift kit on and mutilate in mud holes....hey, it's his money and he can do what he wants with it,
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Grape NeHi was 25 cents to 50 cents in 1970. It was my very first soda pop. My wife tells me it was cheaper in the Warner Theater or Movie House about the same time. My first movie was Snow White at the West Chester 202 Drive in. the audio was aweful and the popcorn was amazing...
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Grinder wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

My wife tells me it was cheaper in the Warner Theater or Movie House about the same time.
      And now the cheapest thing at a theater is the ticket. Drinks and snacks for two is a car payment. For an expensive car. With a high interest rate.
      isn't that the truth! We've gone to smuggling in water and snacks.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference