Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinhoti Trail south of Clairmont Gap ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pinhoti Trail south of Clairmont Gap ?

I was looking over the Pinhoti Trail south of Cheaha SP. I was able to use Back Country Navigator for it just fine until I got down the switchbacks just north of Clairmont Gap. There is what looks like a dirt road that goes back up the opposite hill side. It shows some red numbers I cannot read.

Before that Gap, I see the Pinhoti is near County Road 600 at Adams Gap.

Looking at Google Maps, it shows Skyline Drive on the opposite ridge. I still see nothing listed as the Pinhoti Trail south of that gap. I looked over a large area on BCN and on Google maps.

So, where does the trail go ? Through a town ? All I can find at this point are roads. No trail.

Or would hiking north of Cheaha SP be the better route ?

Thanks !
      ?(
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • i don't know anything about the pinhoti so i can't offer any trail advice.

you need a proper trail map; you can't rely on google maps. i know from my knowledge of the AT in GA that what is shown on google maps can be incomplete or incorrect. rasty and i think kevin know more about this than i do, but the government got out of the map business years ago (maybe 30 years?) and much of what you see on google maps is as of the last update they did. for example, in GA the AT is shown on the wrong side of hickory flatt cemetary. thats where it was when i first moved to GA, but its since been relocated to the other side.

if you go to the link below, and click on map 11, it shows the pinhoti SOBO going S and then turning N at adams gap. that is what you see on google maps, but it doesn't show the trail after the northern uptick. the trail map obviously shows the trail resuming it southern path.

if you go to map 10 you will see the pinhoti at clairmont gap. if you go to google maps you will see the pinhoti again going thru the gap, but map has it ending shortly both N and S of the gap.

mobilemaplets.com/showplace/7499
      2,000 miler
    • JimBlue wrote:

I was looking over the Pinhoti Trail south of Cheaha SP. I was able to use Back Country Navigator for it just fine until I got down the switchbacks just north of Clairmont Gap. There is what looks like a dirt road that goes back up the opposite hill side. It shows some red numbers I cannot read.

Before that Gap, I see the Pinhoti is near County Road 600 at Adams Gap.

Looking at Google Maps, it shows Skyline Drive on the opposite ridge. I still see nothing listed as the Pinhoti Trail south of that gap. I looked over a large area on BCN and on Google maps.

So, where does the trail go ? Through a town ? All I can find at this point are roads. No trail.

Or would hiking north of Cheaha SP be the better route ?

Thanks !
      ?(
      The Scenic Drive (281) ends at Adams Gap and becomes a dirt road which parallels the Pinhoti Trail, last time I hiked from Adams Gap to Porters Gap I hiked back up the dirt road to my truck at Adams just so I wasn't retracing my steps.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.