Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Lurkers and Noobs wanted for PoHo training.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Lurkers and Noobs wanted for PoHo training.

This is the place to come for fun and information. Take it from a relatively new convert. You are welcome here. Last year I was a typical weekend hiker that knew very little about long distance hiking. I still am lacking much information, but I am doing it safely now. I can accredit that success mostly to the crew on this site. They are nuts, but very helpful. If you don't mind smiling while getting great first hand advice, this is the place for you. Come on in. The water is fine and there is no teeth to fear.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

Hi BB! So this is where I can ask a really stupid question? I've been contemplating this for at least a year but haven't had the guts to ask.

If you are short, how in the heck can you hang your hammock high enough so that when you climb in, your ass doesn't drag the ground? :)
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

Hi BB! So this is where I can ask a really stupid question? I've been contemplating this for at least a year but haven't had the guts to ask.

If you are short, how in the heck can you hang your hammock high enough so that when you climb in, your ass doesn't drag the ground? :)

i'm 5'-6" short and don't have any trouble... at least with my ass clearing the ground in my hammock. you can hang the hammock as high as you want -- the only issue for a really short person is that when you sit down your feet may just touch the ground, which makes the hammock a little less useful/comfortable as a chair. you do want the hammock, when occupied, to be high enough off the ground so that it, or your underquilt if you have one, doesn't get dirty from ground contact. With a 3" loft underquilt that requires some care. I think that structural ridgelines make it easier for short -- and tall -- people to hang their hammocks. is your next question "what is a structural ridgeline?"
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

TrafficJam wrote:

LOL! As a fellow vertically challenged person, I think this is a great question. I married a tall guy, so I haven't really considered this issue.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot

1azarus wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

i'm 5'-6" short and don't have any trouble... at least with my ass clearing the ground in my hammock. you can hang the hammock as high as you want -- the only issue for a really short person is that when you sit down your feet may just touch the ground, which makes the hammock a little less useful/comfortable as a chair. you do want the hammock, when occupied, to be high enough off the ground so that it, or your underquilt if you have one, doesn't get dirty from ground contact. With a 3" loft underquilt that requires some care. I think that structural ridgelines make it easier for short -- and tall -- people to hang their hammocks. is your next question "what is a structural ridgeline?"

What is a structural ridgeline?

not higher than your head - not high enough to fall and hurt yourself...you have to be high enough for the material to stretch in the night and not touch the ground... You are looking for two trees wider than two arms and hiking poles stretched out that you cant poke them but not further.

So sayth the Owl.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

structural ridge line - several different types... some are adjustable mine on the HH isn't - or I don't change it... its fixed... its a thin strong string that supports the tarp and keeps it taught. avoids a dip in the middle to form in a rain storm and drip on you.

see here

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

I thought it was a 'po 'ho ... that's what they call the girls "down the hill" where I live :)
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed

LoboSolo wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

moose717 wrote:

What is a POHO?

PostHog. And don't let the inventor of the term tell you any different.
      post whore

LS may be factually correct. That was the original definition. I like mine better. So, like any good news reporter, I chose to ignore that fact and insert my own reality. Post Hog it is.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

structural ridge line - several different types... some are adjustable mine on the HH isn't - or I don't change it... its fixed... its a thin strong string that supports the tarp and keeps it taught. avoids a dip in the middle to form in a rain storm and drip on you.

see here

hello WOO! ...so, when you go to that ultimate hang calculator and INCREASE the distance between the trees, an interesting thing happens. the calculator will tell you to hang your hammock ten or more feet above the ground at the tree -- which is hard to do.

here's the deal: the ridgeline length of roughly 108 inches should never change since it determines the slack of your hammock. if you can't control the ridgeline length (with a structural ridgeline, oddly enough...) then you MUST keep the hang angle at 30 degrees -- thus the tree climbing requirement when the trees are far apart. Even if the trees are exactly 15 feet apart, it is very hard to get the 30 degree hang angle exactly the same every time, so your position in the hammock will vary randomly from hang to hang, and you won't always be at optimum comfort.

Enter the Hennessy hammock guy (Tom). He figured out that a structural ridgeline would keep the right hammock slack every time, regardless of the hang angle. Than the bastard actually patented it!!! ...which is why other hammock manufacturers (except the little cottage industry guys) do not offer structural ridgelines, even though they are a wonderful idea.

He also patented the asymetrical hammock shape as well as the asymetrical rain fly, i believe. jerk.

1azarus wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

see here

hello WOO! ...so, when you go to that ultimate hang calculator and INCREASE the distance between the trees, an interesting thing happens. the calculator will tell you to hang your hammock ten or more feet above the ground at the tree -- which is hard to do.

here's the deal: the ridgeline length of roughly 108 inches should never change since it determines the slack of your hammock. if you can't control the ridgeline length (with a structural ridgeline, oddly enough...) then you MUST keep the hang angle at 30 degrees -- thus the tree climbing requirement when the trees are far apart. Even if the trees are exactly 15 feet apart, it is very hard to get the 30 degree hang angle exactly the same every time, so your position in the hammock will vary randomly from hang to hang, and you won't always be at optimum comfort.

Enter the Hennessy hammock guy (Tom). He figured out that a structural ridgeline would keep the right hammock slack every time, regardless of the hang angle. Than the bastard actually patented it!!! ...which is why other hammock manufacturers (except the little cottage industry guys) do not offer structural ridgelines, even though they are a wonderful idea.

He also patented the asymetrical hammock shape as well as the asymetrical rain fly, i believe. jerk.

maybe one of you can cut and paste this into the hammock forum?this is information many would like to read, but wont be able to find if they search for it right now.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

see here

maybe one of you can cut and paste this into the hammock forum?this is information many would like to read, but wont be able to find if they search for it right now.

i suppose... but i was just getting the idea that we are supposed to read all posts in all threads regardless of topic. like, even about football.

1azarus wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

see here

i suppose... but i was just getting the idea that we are supposed to read all posts in all threads regardless of topic. like, even about football.

as this is the poho training thread, lesson #37.-you dont get extra credit for reading, only for posting.
      we have pohos, not rehos.( besides we all have add)
      its all good

1azarus wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

see here

All very interesting. Looking at the calculator, the hang is 70", definitely doable for me. It seems so technical and I'm not, I played with my new Lightheart tent today and got frustrated when I couldn't get the pitch right. I can see me trying to hang a hammock. I won't say never but it won't be anytime soon.

TrafficJam wrote:

1azarus wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

see here

All very interesting. Looking at the calculator, the hang is 70", definitely doable for me. It seems so technical and I'm not, I played with my new Lightheart tent today and got frustrated when I couldn't get the pitch right. I can see me trying to hang a hammock. I won't say never but it won't be anytime soon.
      which tent do you have? ive got the solong6 with a single awning.
      its all good

I have the duo. I couldn't get it taut and the roof on one side was collapsed in. The yard was wet and muddy so I didn't spend a long time working on it. It was the last chance I had to learn how to set it up before actually using it.

TrafficJam wrote:

I have the duo. I couldn't get it taut and the roof on one side was collapsed in. The yard was wet and muddy so I didn't spend a long time working on it. It was the last chance I had to learn how to set it up before actually using it.

took me a few pitches to get the fly tight, but now i can have it set up in about a minute or so.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

took me a few pitches to get the fly tight, but now i can have it set up in about a minute or so.

There's a learning curve for sure but I know I'll get it eventually. I've never even set up a tarp. I've watched YouTube videos and I even printed out instructions and used to carry them with me. I always hoped I'd see some Boy Scouts who would show me how.
      :)

Tuckahoe wrote:

Also remember that silnylon stretches a little. I always find that a few hours after setting up or before bed, that it was a good thing to tighten things up a little.

Hey Tuckahoe, I've been meaning to tell you I'm very familiar with your neck of the woods. Daughter graduated from CNU and lives in Hampton. I've been to Williamsburg many times.

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

see here

as this is the poho training thread, lesson #37.-you dont get extra credit for reading, only for posting.

LOL! Man, here I was thinking I'm much better at being a reho than a poho, since I have very little legitimate information to provide but I'm great at reading.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot

Ewok11 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

see here

LOL! Man, here I was thinking I'm much better at being a reho than a poho, since I have very little legitimate information to provide but I'm great at reading.
      in case you havent already noticed, we dont always go for content.
      its all good

Ewok11 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

see here

REHO has a ring to it
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123