Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Advice on taking dog on section hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Advice on taking dog on section hike

I have a Chocolate lab that's 7 years old, very healthy and wants to play all day. He's a bit overweight..about 15 lbs. the vet said but I'm sure just like
      me after a few miles we'll both lose a few lbs. He's too heavy to pick up..approx. 130 lbs..and the question is this. I'm moving to NH soon and wanted to do some of the northern end of VT and the lower end of NH...stopping before the Whites. Where in Vt. is the ladder on the trail and is there an alternate path around it? Also are there any other obstacles that may keep us from accomplishing approx. 100 miles there? I'm new at this so forgive me if this is in the wrong place or has been discussed. I couldn't find it anywhere else. I'm thinking perhaps the Greenwall shelter in VT to the Hexacuba shelter in NH but nothing cast in stone yet. Thanks to all for any helpful advice!! :thumbup:
    • My experiences regarding hiking with dogs is quite extensive. #1 is to get the weight off your dog. Joint issues and heat stress are common with overweight and unconditioned dogs. Get the dog and yourself in shape prior to an extended hike.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • My wife and I have been hiking with dogs for years. Presently we have a 90 pound shepherd.
      Let me suggest you get busy with day hikes to get you and your dog ready for a section hike. Gradually increase the length and difficulty of those day hikes so that you and your pup get into better and better shape. For the ups and downs of New England a harness for your dog, used with a pretty good length of rope will let you assist your dog on those ups and downs. We keep our dog on a 20 foot retractable leash at all times, except when we're in our tent. Speaking of tents, how does your dog do in a tent?
      Simply put, a well trained, in shape, dog is a pleasure to hike with. Oh and you'll have to hike at your dogs pace. You might also want to carry booties for the dog to protect it's feet on very rough, rocky, areas. Feel free to ask more and specific questions. And neither me or my wife can remember where that ladder is even though we've already hiked Vermont.
    • I hike with my Lab. She's an 8 year old Black. The other members listed some solid advice and I will add to watch your dog carefully if its hot outside. Many dogs, especially Labs will continue to hike even if miserable and in pain. If not watched carefully you wont realize there is a problem until its too late. Also, think about a emergency exit plan for if the dog gets injured/sick how are you going to get him out of the woods since he's too heavy to carry.

A few years ago I was on a day hike at Blood Mountain. My Lab was with me. After reaching the top we got stuck in a unexpected ice storm. The trip down the mountain was treacherous at best. At one point my Lab slipped on the ice and slid down a steep grade and was only stopped by impacting a tree. She was shaken up but not injured. Really opened my eyes about what to do if she had broken leg.
      RIAP
    • last time i hiked vermont was 20 years ago starting on labor day so my info may be a bit dated. :)

there were no ladders on the AT in vermont when i hiked. (there are plenty on the long trail N of where it splits off from the portion it shares with the AT.) it is my understanding that a ladder has been added near kent pond (thats just N of where the AT and long trail split and is in the 100 mile section you are asking about.) having never seen it i have no comment, other than i bet you can figure out a bypass. didn't need it 20 years ago. :)

i recall a ladder in NH but it was N of the section you are talking about hiking. also N of the section you are talking about - but only by 20 miles or so - is mt. moosilauke. there are iron hand holds in the rock and wooden steps (don't recall a ladder) that seems like it could be difficult or slow going for a dog. perhaps LIHikers has hiked this and can comment.

i don't hike with a dog so i can't give any dog specific advice.

one thing to keep in mind - people write about not being able to hike with their dog in the gsmnp, bsp, and the bear mtn zoo (prohibited). i've never read where anybody wrote they couldn't hike a section becasue their dog couldn't handle a ladder or other obstacle.
      2,000 miler
    • 15 pounds overweight sounds like a lot for a dog. It sounds like me being 30 pounds overweight. I know I had problems when I weighed 30 pounds more, but I do not know much about dogs.

Two pulleys, rope, and a sling (hammock?) might help if the trail is truly vertical and there's a good anchor point at the top, but that is unlikely.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

astro just left on a hike which will cover both vt and nh. in a couple months he can answer all your questions about this section.
      I will be glad to answer any questions, but I can promise you I will not be carrying any dogs up a ladder.
      i bet the friendly folks at mountain meadows lodge have one you can borrow for the day. :)
      No thanks. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Southern VT on AT/LT poses no problem for dogs. Northern part Mt Mansfield is scrambling & ladders. Camels Hump is a climb of a granit dome. Those are the only places I can think of that would be a major problem for a dog on the LT. Camel's Hump has a bad weather bypass. I'd play it by how the dog reacts to normal route before bypassing the summit.
      Mansfield via LT isn't dog friendly. This is the south end on ths "Nose"
      The nortern end is a scramble. The day I did it was late a cold rainy day & wasn't doing much looking around. There are some trails to the west that bypass Mansfield with feeder trails up to the ridge. I don't see any problems for a dog on the ridge. I reccomend contacting the GMC (Green Mountain Club) for better info on on best dog friendly routes & rules. I believe both sections I mentioned are State Parks & not sure of the rules regaurding dogs.

Something to keep in mind is the Catamount Trail in VT. It's more of a Cross country Ski Trail that crosses & parallels the LT. Could be something to incorperate to make some nice loop hikes.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mountain-Mike ().

• Ambidex wrote:

I have a Chocolate lab that's 7 years old, very healthy and wants to play all day. He's a bit overweight..about 15 lbs. the vet said but I'm sure just like
      me after a few miles we'll both lose a few lbs. He's too heavy to pick up..approx. 130 lbs..and the question is this. I'm moving to NH soon and wanted to do some of the northern end of VT and the lower end of NH...stopping before the Whites. Where in Vt. is the ladder on the trail and is there an alternate path around it? Also are there any other obstacles that may keep us from accomplishing approx. 100 miles there? I'm new at this so forgive me if this is in the wrong place or has been discussed. I couldn't find it anywhere else. I'm thinking perhaps the Greenwall shelter in VT to the Hexacuba shelter in NH but nothing cast in stone yet. Thanks to all for any helpful advice!! :thumbup:
      you carry his food and water
    • max.patch wrote:

mt. moosilauke. there are iron hand holds in the rock and wooden steps (don't recall a ladder) that seems like it could be difficult or slow going for a dog. perhaps LIHikers has hiked this and can comment.
      We didn't have a dog for Mt. Moosilauke so no comment there.
      But we did have our dog with us for Mahoosuc Notch. Having the dog for that really added a lot of extra work getting her over some of the bigger rocks.

Oh, and wet dog can really stink up the inside of your tent!
    • I really appreciate all the comments and advice..I should have put a pic up with my OP..he's very healthy and HUGE not fat. He's a few pounds over...cant see his ribs stick out but doesn't have a gut..unlike me :whistling: . We will be doing lots of walking and day hikes prior to section hiking. Mostly I wondered if there were any places where we could not either bushwack or find a way around an unavoidable obstacle. My kids and grandkids think he's spoiled more than all of them combined so as far as anyone thinking I'm going to use him as a pack mule...NOT. But he is healthy and I'm sure it won't bother him to carry his food and collapsible bowls. Water will be provided by me by what I carry and filter. This will be a 4-5 day section hike, not a thru marathon. That being said let me reiterate how much I appreciate the helpfulness and knowledge from a great group of people. :thumbsup:
      P.S. he tents extremely well.and I always have something to dry him with..he LOVES water and swimming, but no he won't be allowed in water sources. He's extremely well behaved and social. Knows heel very well :)
    • Astro wrote:

How many ladders and serious rock climbs am I probably looking at in VT? I scaled down my mileage plans in NH, wondering if I should have more in VT?
      Ladder is LT far north of what you will be hitting. I wish timing worked out better. VT is challanging on AT but nothing to tuff. Lots of great views pond, swimming areas. Those places that stand out: Goddard Shelter, Stratton Pond, Claredon Gorge, Inn at the LT. Cloud Pond Privy.
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

How many ladders and serious rock climbs am I probably looking at in VT? I scaled down my mileage plans in NH, wondering if I should have more in VT?
      no worries, the only thing that will slow ya down in VT is the mud.
      That's if it's dry. At one point on my thru the best way to follow the trail was the biggest flow. It rained so hard that the trail was a stream!

Right now the area is in moderate drought condition. About the only place that may be a concern are around Killington. On bad years they sometimes run dry. Enough hikers around to give you up to date info