Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking in Snow and Ice

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hiking in Snow and Ice

I have multiple questions;

How do you know when to use crampons or snow shoes? What are the parameters you use for decision making? (If the snow's this deep I use snow shoes, if the ice is so thick I use crampons...) Do you always carry them with you? What are the challenges with wearing them? How do you know, before a hike, the snow depth you might encounter if you're unfamiliar with the area?
      TIA
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Hiking in Snow and Ice

I really prefer not walking with microspikes and really prefer not walking with snowshoes. I resent their weight on my feet!

I do walk with ski poles, and am happy to walk on surfaces which are intermittently slippery, just using the poles to keep from falling -- maybe Rasty's 20 percent is a good number. I will always try walking without snowshoes if the snow is less than 1 foot deep. Six inches? definitely no snowshoes. Awkward walking, then the snow shoes come out -- at least for a while. At the cusp of ice/snow you may find it nice to just change up your walking approach with and without walking aids at various times during the day.

To put it in context, for this weekend's Harriman park trip i won't bother to bring either microspikes or snowshoes, and will suck up dealing with the little bit of ice we may find here and there. Remember, I do err on the side of stupid light, though.... Years ago, when I first hiked this section it was on glare ice and i would have given anything to have microspikes. I had to walk around the lemon squeezer to avoid certain death! :ohmy:
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

Good info!

I found the answer to my last question in "Guide to Winter Camping", 2014 edition by James Muller (so far it's been a great source of info).

NOAA's Interactive Snow Information Map should give you snow analysis but I haven't checked it out yet.
      Lost in the right direction.

Weather Underground also has snowpack estimates.

In the New York state forests (distinct from the state parks!), where I mostly hike, the DEC asks that hikers use snowshoes or skis when the snowpack is 8 inches or more, to avoid compacting the snow excessively and turning the trail into a skating rink for the hikers who follow. So my personal rule is that if snow comes two inches over the tops of my hiking boots or up to the tops of my Pac boots, it's time for the snowshoes to come out.

In winter, if there's any significant amount of ice and snow, I live in microspikes. I've been hiking with 1azarus in some slippery stuff, and I honestly don't know how he stays upright in it. (He manages, though,)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • I'm starting to worry that our early April hike on the Laurel Highlands Trail in PA is going to be on ice and or snow.
      I guess I better check over our snow shoes and stabilicers.
      I'll call the outfitter and the park's office a few days before we leave to see if I can get any first hand information.
      Sure wish we had winter weather back in January instead of now.
    • One hazard is the thaw & re-freeze cycles. A few years ago, I was retracing my steps from Skyland to the AT at the very start of an early spring section hike. There was snow in the north-facing slopes that had a frozen crust on top. Crunch, crunch, crunch.

Literally 3 feet from the first white blaze, I hit an icy spot and didn't break through the surface. My foot shot forward and I hyperextended my knee. That made for a fun remainder of the hike.

One benefit of the snow was that I could grab a handful and place it between by buff and my head on the sunny days where it got pretty warm. Instant A/C on the climbs. 8)
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard