Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Astro on the AT 2016

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CoachLou wrote:

Well I found him! Actually, I just waited at a trail head. South side of Route 4. I had a large Gatorade and cold water for him when he finished that climb down from Silver Hill. That was @ 130 in the afternoon, Astro had 8 miles of Connecticut lowlands. So we walked a few more to Ceasar Brook camp. Which I had never been to. It was actually a good site. Water right there, plenty of flat spots.... Not trashed from heavy use. So we hung out and shot the breeze with a real old section, coming from Virginia.
      Astro was up and out by 0700, I slept in on my birthday :thumbsup: , but I was taking a red blaze back to my car. Astro plans to go to BeardedWoods tonite but wants to make Falls Village today.
      I only have this one picture. We had the real old guy take it on Astros phone and he sent it to me.......................on my way yesterday morning, I was driving thru Waterbury, Conn. and I thought to call Goodie to see what he was up to....and I reach for m.............shyte......my phone in charging.....on my desk! Dang!!!............................hummmmmm?? :huh: Disconnected :thumbsup: I like it.....no pics though.
      Sounds like you had a good birthday and looks like Astro's having a great hike.
      Great picture of y'all!
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Got off yesterday in Dalton and in Pittsfield about to take Amtrak back home. Shorter than I planned, but needed to get back home to take care of somethings.

Was the tale of cities hike. Didn't realize it at the time but got really dehydrated on the train ride out and the first 5 days other than meeting up Coach were pretty rough. Then on fifth day I pulled into Salisbury and finally got well hydrated and fed. Next 6 days were great after that. Only 120 miles in 11 days, but now 1568 down and only 620 to go.

Next week after I get back and catch up on some things I will try to post more details and pictures. Until then probably just short responses on my phone wile on the train.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • SandyofPA wrote:

Say Hi to Big Lou for me, at Bearded Woods. She makes the best strawberry shortcake! Stayed 3 nights in 2014, slack packed most of Conn. and gained weight from her cooking.
      Unfortunately no vacancies when I tried. Probably like the Hotel California with people like you who once they stay one night start slack packing and never want to leave. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Got off yesterday in Dalton and in Pittsfield about to take Amtrak back home. Shorter than I planned, but needed to get back home to take care of somethings.

Was the tale of cities hike. Didn't realize it at the time but got really dehydrated on the train ride out and the first 5 days other than meeting up Coach were pretty rough. Then on fifth day I pulled into Salisbury and finally got well hydrated and fed. Next 6 days were great after that. Only 120 miles in 11 days, but now 1568 down and only 620 to go.

Next week after I get back and catch up on some things I will try to post more details and pictures. Until then probably just short responses on my phone wile on the train.
      Still a decent hike. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

Got off yesterday in Dalton and in Pittsfield about to take Amtrak back home. Shorter than I planned, but needed to get back home to take care of somethings.
      Astro, I hope everything at home is OK.
      Thanks, nothing too serious long term. Just several things adding up, and over the long term better for me get back and take care of everything now. Those mountains are not going anywhere.
    • max.patch wrote:

astro's not wearing one of those bright orange astro's ball caps???!!!

is he going incognito or something?
      MP, the picture cut off my Orange and Red Brooks Cascadia shoes. I only wear the orange Astro's hat in cooler weather ( especially hunting season). Too hot for summer, ATC hat lighter and better ventilated.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

MP, the picture cut off my Orange and Red Brooks Cascadia shoes. I only wear the orange Astro's hat in cooler weather ( especially hunting season). Too hot for summer, ATC hat lighter and better ventilated.
      i love (what other people would consider) ugly hiking shoes. sadly, my fluorscent neon lime green trail runners have been relegated to grass cutting duty. and they're not made any more.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i love (what other people would consider) ugly hiking shoes. sadly, my neon lime green trail runners have been relegated to grass cutting duty. and they're not made any more.
      I got a pair of those...they didn't look that green on the website.
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i love (what other people would consider) ugly hiking shoes. sadly, my fluorscent neon lime green trail runners have been relegated to grass cutting duty. and they're not made any more.
      If those are Asics I used a pair on my last hike, they stayed wet the first 11 days and stunk worse than you can imagine, I was going to throw them away but gave them a heavy dose of bleach and put a lot of trail and gym miles on them after that, only problem I had with them on the trail was I could feel every rock I stepped on.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I finally loaded my pictures to my laptop before I left, but ran out time to get them along with a report of the first 11 days up here. Will have to do it in August after I get back.

Currently in IN and took my youngest son to Cleveland Indians game today. Milwaukee Brewers tomorrow, and Detroit Tigers on Friday. Early Saturday I will leave for Dalton and plan to finish MA and VT in two weeks getting off in Hanover, NH. That will leave NH for 2017 and ME for 2018.
    • max.patch wrote:

does your bucket list include going to a game in every mlb stadium?
      Yes, and my youngest son somewhat panicked me earlier this summer by saying we were not going to make it by the time he finishes high school. Try to pick off most everything else in next two summers, then big west coast road trip in 2019.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Yes, and my youngest son somewhat panicked me earlier this summer by saying we were not going to make it by the time he finishes high school. Try to pick off most everything else in next two summers, then big west coast road trip in 2019.
      sounds like a pickle, run to the nearest base and slide.
    • mental note wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

sounds like a pickle, run to the nearest base and slide.
      Which is a great rush, as long as you are safe. :)
    • Astro wrote:

I finally loaded my pictures to my laptop before I left, but ran out time to get them along with a report of the first 11 days up here. Will have to do it in August after I get back.

Currently in IN and took my youngest son to Cleveland Indians game today. Milwaukee Brewers tomorrow, and Detroit Tigers on Friday. Early Saturday I will leave for Dalton and plan to finish MA and VT in two weeks getting off in Hanover, NH. That will leave NH for 2017 and ME for 2018.
      Enjoy the sausages.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Astro wrote:

I finally loaded my pictures to my laptop before I left, but ran out time to get them along with a report of the first 11 days up here. Will have to do it in August after I get back.

shucks, wish I'd read this sooner, we could have met up. I'll look for you on TV. Where are you sitting?
    • Completed MA and now over a day into VT (Melville Nauheim shelter). Like PA wouldn't be so bad without the rocks, same for VT and the mud. Rained all four days so far, praying for sunshine. :thumbup:
    • Trillium wrote:

Astro wrote:

shucks, wish I'd read this sooner, we could have met up. I'll look for you on TV. Where are you sitting?
      We were at the bottom of the upper section behind home plate.
    • At Green Mountain Hostel in Manchester Center, VT. Wonderful place and Jeff seems like a great guy. Loved getting to eat in town, taking a shower, and finally washing clothes! :thumbup: . Plan is to make it to Hanover, NH in a week.
    • Astro wrote:

At Green Mountain Hostel in Manchester Center, VT. Wonderful place and Jeff seems like a great guy. Loved getting to eat in town, taking a shower, and finally washing clothes! :thumbup: . Plan is to make it to Hanover, NH in a week.
      and the Ben and Jerrys ice cream that comes with the stay. Jeff's is where I took my first zero. The ice cream made me do it. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

At Green Mountain Hostel in Manchester Center, VT. Wonderful place and Jeff seems like a great guy. Loved getting to eat in town, taking a shower, and finally washing clothes! :thumbup: . Plan is to make it to Hanover, NH in a week.
      and the Ben and Jerrys ice cream that comes with the stay. Jeff's is where I took my first zero. The ice cream made me do it. :)
      there was a ben and jerrys store in town that in addition to the regular menu sold "seconds" for $1.25 a pint. no one ever mentions that anymore so i'm guessing the store closed or they don't sell the rejects anymore. manchester center is a great town.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().