Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Dalton to Manchester Center

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dalton to Manchester Center

I spent 5/31 - 6/18 hiking between Kay Wood Shelter (Dalton MA) to Manchester Center VT and back. I went 14 miles the first day, and mostly 10 or under the other days, except for one long day between Goddard Shelter and Congdon Shelter via the West Ridge Trail, and another long day from Stratton Pond Shelter to Manchester Center and back to William Douglas Shelter.

I fetched water at William Douglas Shelter, treated it with Aquamira, and drank it. The next morning I used the two-walled "privy" with no roof, and found it full of water. It is uphill from the water source. From what I hear, Aquamira solves problems with bacteria, but not viruses. I paid the price at Stratton Pond Shelter, where I used the privy 3 times, but should have used it a fourth time the following morning. I thought it was safe to pass gas, but got more than I bargained for. I took a zero at Seth Warner Shelter and did laundry in a couple of one gallon plastic bags, a fifth of a mile from the water source.

I avoided crossing Stratton Mountain a second time by taking the Stratton Pond Trail. That cut out 4 miles and was flat as a pancake, at least until I climbed USFS 71 and the AT up to Congdon Shelter.

On the northbound leg, I resupplied in Williamstown at Stop & Shop, since the Price Chopper in North Adams is closed. I bought some refrigerated spring water at the general store in Cheshire.

I took a shortcut into Manchester Center by continuing on Old Rootville Road instead of taking the right on the AT/LT at Prospect Rock. I carried about nine days of food out of Manchester Center, and did not resupply until I returned to Dalton, where I ate a box of raisin bran with whole milk at Market 32 (Price Chopper). I took the BRTA 1 bus from North Adams to Pittsfield so I did not have to go over Mount Greylock twice.

I did laundry in Manchester Center and Pittsfield, and on the trail at the Melville Nauheim and Seth Warner shelters.

I saw plenty of mud and flies in Vermont. I used full-length pants, a long-sleeved shirt, and sometimes a bug net around my head. The mosquitos were bothersome at Kay Wood Shelter, so I set up my tarp and bug tent.

I have some miles left to do between Tyringham and Kay Wood Shelter in Massachusetts, but other than that I have now seen the AT between Springer and Prospect Rock near Manchester Center.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

NORML (national organization to reform MJ law) (I think)
      Off original topic but a quote from NORML's webpage Their web

Criminal marijuana prohibition is a failure. Over 20 million Americans have been arrested for marijuana offenses since 1965. NORML believes that the time has come to amend criminal prohibition and replace it with a system of legalization, taxation, regulation, and education.

I am not a smoker myself (weed or cigarettes) but in all the years of being LEO I only pinched one person for driving under the influence of weed, compared to the untold numbers of drunks. The guy I pinched told me he was "wrecked on grass" and his bong was still on the front seat smoking. Even if he hadn't been wrecked on weed I think he still would have had the accident.

A couple of years ago I guided Jim Gray, Libertarian candidate for VP 2012, and he has very interesting ideas concerning drugs in this country and what a waste the "war on drugs" is. Here is a LINK to his web
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I weighed myself after the hike - 203.4 pounds. If I lost 24 more pounds, I would be "normal!"
      The BMI measurement is a joke. It needs to be thrown out.
      The process of using BMI as a tool to measure one's fitness for duty has cost several of my acquaintances their military careers. One was a female marathon runner with respectable times.

Interesting enough the military recognized pilots whom partook of weightlifting rather than running for fitness were better able to withstand high G forces while maneuvering high performance aircraft.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I weighed myself after the hike - 203.4 pounds. If I lost 24 more pounds, I would be "normal!"
      The BMI measurement is a joke. It needs to be thrown out.
      The process of using BMI as a tool to measure one's fitness for duty has cost several of my acquaintances their military careers. One was a female marathon runner with respectable times.
      Interesting enough the military recognized pilots whom partook of weightlifting rather than running for fitness were better able to withstand high G forces while maneuvering high performance aircraft.
      Sorry to hear.

As I understand it, building muscle also builds blood vessels. I assume that would result in a greater total volume of blood in the body.

My BMI today was 28.1. The nurse said I did not look the way she expected for such a BMI. I attribute my BMI to three things - body fat, dense bones like my dad, and muscular legs.
    • The Graylock memorial was closed last year when I passed thru there. On a positive note I got a cheeseburger and a cold beer at the lodge. And the view is great. I enjoyed the nobo climb up out of Dalton- some very nice forest.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I made a few more trips to Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire lately, so now I have section hiked the AT between Springer Mountain and Glencliff, NH. I even went to Dartmouth, ha ha. The last section was from Hanover to Glencliff in 5 days, and back in 3. I made it back in 3 days by skipping Cube, Smarts, and Moose mountains, and yellow blazing with rides offered by two different drivers.

I saw various emergency vehicles where the AT crossed Goose Pond Road. Someone was being helped off the trail about a half mile south. I never saw the injured hiker, since I took the shoe leather express down the yellow blazed asphalt. I planned to take a trail shown on a map I found, but I never saw any sign indicating the start of the trail.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

I saw various emergency vehicles where the AT crossed Goose Pond Road. Someone was being helped off the trail about a half mile south. I never saw the injured hiker, since I took the shoe leather express down the yellow blazed asphalt. I planned to take a trail shown on a map I found, but I never saw any sign indicating the start of the trail.
      9/27 article

Man Rescued From Appalachian Trail

Hanover — Rescue crews responded to Moose Mountain on Monday morning, after a Pennsylvania man injured his leg on the Appalachian Trail.
      Officials say Andrew Hyduke, of Bethlehem, Pa., was on a nine-day section hike of the trail with a companion when he injured his lower leg shortly before 10 a.m.
      The 63-year-old was found by rescuers about 1.5 miles south of the trailhead on Goose Pond Road around noon and taken to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.
      The Hanover, Lyme Fire Department, Orford and Thetford fire departments responded to the trail, according to a media release. They were aided by state conservation officers and volunteers from the Upper Valley Wilderness Response Team.
      2,000 miler
    • I visited the Yellow Deli Hostel a number of times before and after my section hikes. I helped prepare the complimentary breakfast for the hikers staying at the hostel. I diced onions and green peppers, minced garlic, and sautéed them in butter in an iron skillet. I diced tomatoes, cubed turkey, and minced corned beef. I cut apples into wedges, dipped them in lemon juice, and sprinkled them with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. I spread butter on slices of bread, and sprinkled sugar and cinnamon on top. Am I making anyone hungry yet?

The post was edited 1 time, last by WanderingStovie ().

• WanderingStovie wrote:

I visited the Yellow Deli Hostel a number of times before and after my section hikes. I helped prepare the complimentary breakfast for the hikers staying at the hostel. I diced onions and green peppers, minced garlic, and sautéed them in butter in an iron skillet. I diced tomatoes, cubed turkey, and minced corned beef. I cut apples into wedges, dipped them in lemon juice, and sprinkled them with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. I spread butter on slices of bread, and sprinkled sugar and cinnamon on top. Am I making anyone hungry yet?
      As I have not had breakfast as of yet, yes. But currently preparing a breakfast consisting of oatmeal with raisins, dried apples, and cinnamon and an omelet with crumbled bacon, mushrooms, and dried tomatoes.

An unusually early AM as I'm soon off to a dawn hike.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC