Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

US National hurricane center site

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• US National hurricane center site

This site will give basic info on hurricanes affecting the eastern Areas of the US, along with the eastern Pacific Ocean.

I figured this would help those planning hikes, or letting those know hiking up the AT, etc. that lots of rain and wind is headed their way. It has certainly helped me in the past.

nhc.noaa.gov/cyclones/
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • That's a great site Jim, pretty much meat and potatoes come hurricane season. I use to track hurricanes when I was laid up and pre Internet, now I have that book marked.
      Question, do you know of a link where it will images the 32 degrees line like they show on The weather channel during winter, can't seem to find it.
    • Grew up in South FL. Never worried about it till the day before it hit. Remember David in 79 the best, watching the trees sway looking between the cracks in the plywood we n put over the windows.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I just remembered how I got started doing it. We were on vacation at the jersey shore and a hurricane was in the gulf and forecast to cross over Florida and come up the coast. I found a map somewhere and tracked it for those that cared to look, again this was pre-internet, and required tuning in to noaa weather radio at all hours...again for giggles.
    • One of my teaching buddies has her students track hurricanes on a provided map in her 110 geography class, thus preventing cut n paste. She's always disheartened when most of the class is deficient in lat -long.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

One of my teaching buddies has her students track hurricanes on a provided map in her 110 geography class, thus preventing cut n paste. She's always disheartened when most of the class is deficient in lat -long.
      yup, and also watching the pressures as the some increases then dissipates over the pond to England you can learn a few things there about weather systems, frontal boundaries, cut off and occluded, jet streams, ect ect. Fun stuff.
    • mental note wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

One of my teaching buddies has her students track hurricanes on a provided map in her 110 geography class, thus preventing cut n paste. She's always disheartened when most of the class is deficient in lat -long.
      yup, and also watching the pressures as the some increases then dissipates over the pond to England you can learn a few things there about weather systems, frontal boundaries, cut off and occluded, jet streams, ect ect. Fun stuff.
      Benjamin Franklin is credited with observing and recording weather and ocean current patterns when he determined why east bound voyages to Europe were usually faster than return voyages to the colonies.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC