Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Whitehouse Landing Reopens

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Whitehouse Landing Reopens

Posted on another site:

"after being closed for 2 years we decided this is where our heart is ..MAINE ! we missed the hiking community and all the friends we made in the 15 years of opening our doors to hikers. but for this year we have done things different , No air horn to signal us (sorry i know that was the highlight of your arrival),but we saved you a 1 mile walk in,now all you do is call us and will pick you up at the boat pick up site(signs) near primitive campsite at the end of the mahar trail (on your maps)we are over night only now with a heads up on your arrival, includes hot shower , meals not included, ,bunk house or private room, laundry like grammy did it with scrub board too.. free use of canoes ,some supplies on hand but if you give us a week or more before your arrival can send mail drop to our p.o box free for our guest . we do not go out to town everyday, so please allow time. any questions please feel free to call @207-745-5116 or e-mail us whlcamps@aol.com
      &like us on face book,Thanks Bill& Linda Ware"

I am glad they reopened. :) :thumbup:
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Posted on another site:

"after being closed for 2 years we decided this is where our heart is ..MAINE ! we missed the hiking community and all the friends we made in the 15 years of opening our doors to hikers. but for this year we have done things different , No air horn to signal us (sorry i know that was the highlight of your arrival),but we saved you a 1 mile walk in,now all you do is call us and will pick you up at the boat pick up site(signs) near primitive campsite at the end of the mahar trail (on your maps)we are over night only now with a heads up on your arrival, includes hot shower , meals not included, ,bunk house or private room, laundry like grammy did it with scrub board too.. free use of canoes ,some supplies on hand but if you give us a week or more before your arrival can send mail drop to our p.o box free for our guest . we do not go out to town everyday, so please allow time. any questions please feel free to call @207-745-5116 or e-mail us whlcamps@aol.com

Hopefully they will stay open for next year also. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Posted on another site:

I hope so too as I plan on being there.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Posted on another site:

I hope so too as I plan on being there.
      And I am lucky we will get to meet up again. :)
    • i'll be the outlier and say that i would never use whitehouse landing; nor would i arrange for a food drop off in the HMW. i agree with wingfoot's contention that the HMW is the one place on the trail that we can be with nature for a week and actually pretend we are in the "wilderness".

but that's just me. if you want to go the WHL have fun and enjoy that one pound burger. won't bother me.

but i reserve the right to make fun of ya if you're hanging out at a road crossing looking for a food bucket. :)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

i'll be the outlier and say that i would never use whitehouse landing; nor would i arrange for a food drop off in the HMW. i agree with wingfoot's contention that the HMW is the one place on the trail that we can be with nature for a week and actually pretend we are in the
      "wilderness".

but that's just me. if you want to go the WHL have fun and enjoy that one pound burger. won't bother me.

but i reserve the right to make fun of ya if you're hanging out at a road crossing looking for a food bucket. :)
      MP,
      I look up to you like the big brother I never had (well at least a virtual one), but this is one time I think I might pick the more pleasurable than the "pure" route. :)
    • max.patch wrote:

i'll be the outlier and say that i would never use whitehouse landing; nor would i arrange for a food drop off in the HMW. i agree with wingfoot's contention that the HMW is the one place on the trail that we can be with nature for a week and actually pretend we are in the "wilderness".

I've never done the HMW... but what with all I hear about road-crossing resupply and what not, I've come to suspect the Northville-Placid is more remote. It's got two sections of about 40 miles apiece with no road access at all. The southern one is a couple of miles from an International Paper haul road at one point. The northern one has an 8-mile stretch that's accessible by boat. Except for that, there's no shorter way out than the trail. And at the one end of the southern section, there's just a gravel road crossing and a primitive campground, it's still 12 miles up that gravel road to the nearest village. It's easier to push through another couple of days, where there's a state highway that goes a couple of miles to a town. (*)

There are lonelier spots in the East, but getting to them involves pushing through hobblebush and spruce.
      ----
      (*) I'd advise someone planning that hike to resupply either at Casey's general store (mile 39) or the Piseco post office (mile 42), and carry enough to go through to Long Lake village (2 milles west of mile 100). Wakely Dam to Indian Lake would be a tough hitch, and getting back to the trail would be even tougher. There are few services in Blue Mountain Lake, so if you get off at Lake Durant or on the Tirrell Pond approach trail, you'll still wind up hitching to Long Lake. A sixty-mile food carry really is easier. Also, I'd say that Casey's has 'limited' resupply, and when I went through, he was closed anyway - he goes on vacation after Columbus Day. A pity, I was hoping for a sandwich and ice cream there. I was glad that I had a maildrop at the post office.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.