Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Springer fatality?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• sheepdog wrote:

The last suicide attempt on shift for me was last month. 25 year old druggie about 6' 2", 180 lbs. was cutting his wrists with a metal plate he had pried off the wall. I said come on man lets get you fixed up. Then the fight was on. We are a small jail with 2 co's on shift. My partner was watching on camera and called for road help. By the time help got there I had him in cuffs but I was covered in drug addict blood.
      Mine was last week A 30 year old female climbed out on the top floor balcony of a condo unit in downtown and jumped.
      RIAP
    • max.patch wrote:

i love the approach trail...except those stairs.

i also think the AT terminus should be relocated to AFSP for a whole host of reasons. you've got the tallest waterfall east of the mississippi with a trail right next to it. it's a "better" place to start as it's all paved roads and has bathrooms and picnic tables for your friends and family who dropped you off. it has a chance for the ridgerunner stationed at AFSP to interact with each prospective thru -- i'd also have a 15 minute filmstrip running nonstop with info about LNT, bear bagging, etc etc etc.

but i don't think it will happen.
      Might also help weed out earlier those who aren't really committed.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Sorry, I just can't get it up for so one who dosen't care enough for themselves or their loved ones. Had a friend who shot himself in the heart so they could have a open casket so his only daughter could see him one last time, looser. I loved him but he phucked up!
    • Trebor wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

The last suicide attempt on shift for me was last month. 25 year old druggie about 6' 2", 180 lbs. was cutting his wrists with a metal plate he had pried off the wall. I said come on man lets get you fixed up. Then the fight was on. We are a small jail with 2 co's on shift. My partner was watching on camera and called for road help. By the time help got there I had him in cuffs but I was covered in drug addict blood.
      Mine was last week A 30 year old female climbed out on the top floor balcony of a condo unit in downtown and jumped.
      read a survey about interviewing people who jumped off something high to kill themselves and survived. 100% said the wished they hadn't done it as soon as they left Terra firma.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

Trebor wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

read a survey about interviewing people who jumped off something high to kill themselves and survived. 100% said the wished they hadn't done it as soon as they left Terra firma.
      They say its not the fall that kills you, but the sudden stop at the end.......
      RIAP
    • sheepdog wrote:

Trebor wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

In fairness most first time skydivers have the same feeling. I think it's the body's natural reaction to gravity.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

Trebor wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

In fairness most first time skydivers have the same feeling. I think it's the body's natural reaction to gravity.
      I can vouch for this. My first jump generated a similar feeling as I looked back at the plane. However the exhilaration of the chute opening overcame the thought. However the jump master let me have it once on the ground as he saw me look over my shoulder upon exit.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Trebor wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

I responded to a report of gunfire and found an open front door at the address. Backup was nearly 30 minutes away, so I entered to clear the house. Found a blood soaked carpet and opened a hall closet and found a body. Leaning over to check for a pulse, something hit me on the back of the head and thinking the worst, I scrambled out to clear my back. Later EMS folks plucked bone and tissue out of my hair and off my shirt. The man suicided with a gunshot into his mouth and blew the back of his skull into the closet ceiling.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Trebor wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

I responded to a report of gunfire and found an open front door at the address. Backup was nearly 30 minutes away, so I entered to clear the house. Found a blood soaked carpet and opened a hall closet and found a body. Leaning over to check for a pulse, something hit me on the back of the head and thinking the worst, I scrambled out to clear my back. Later EMS folks plucked bone and tissue out of my hair and off my shirt. The man suicided with a gunshot into his mouth and blew the back of his skull into the closet ceiling.
      Daaaaam, thats nasty
      RIAP
    • Dan76 wrote:

Trebor wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

Ewww. Dayum.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • mental note wrote:

Next time someone tells me their ready to end it all and it's just a matter of time, I'm handin' em a train schedule.
      Please don't, someone does at least once a year on the train line I take. Every time some fool jumps in front of a train it delays me getting home that day by about five hours.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • My dads best friend was a state trooper. He told us this story.
      He got called on a suicide and he had been a troop for almost a year. The wife met him at the door and said her husband had shot himself with a shotgun in the mouth. He looked in the living room and sure enough there he was in all his gory glory. About that time the guy stands up and starts walking towards him groaning like a zombie. He said it scared him so bad he almost shot him.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

mental note wrote:

Next time someone tells me their ready to end it all and it's just a matter of time, I'm handin' em a train schedule.
      Please don't, someone does at least once a year on the train line I take. Every time some fool jumps in front of a train it delays me getting home that day by about five hours.
      true dat, my pop took the train into the city for years, same thing, can't tell how many times we ate without him. Gotta be 10 or better.
    • sheepdog wrote:

My dads best friend was a state trooper. He told us this story.
      He got called on a suicide and he had been a troop for almost a year. The wife met him at the door and said her husband had shot himself with a shotgun in the mouth. He looked in the living room and sure enough there he was in all his gory glory. About that time the guy stands up and starts walking towards him groaning like a zombie. He said it scared him so bad he almost shot him.
      Don't think because I "liked" that that I actually like that. I was trying to quote it and hit the "like" by accident. I then "disliked" it try to negate the "like", but it went to -1 as a "dislike" and i didn't want to seem like an ass, lol, anyway.....I woulda shot his zombie ass deader'n hell :D
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Years ago I was on a murder case jury. Guy was shot in the face twice with a 12ga. The defendant, his wife, said it was suicide. Huh, 2 shots? When they showed the pics to us jurors, 3 puked. The judge had to suspend the days hearing to clean and ventilate the courtroom. Anyway back to the pictures, first shot to the face, second shot to what used to be the face. Coroner said he was probably asleep and never knew what happened. He sure as hell didn't get off 2 rounds. We convicted the lying hoe. Judge gave her life. I might have gone for death, but in Alabama juries don't decide sentence. I heard she was released after 20 years. She probably found Jesus or something.
    • My ex was a nurse and they had a guy come into the hospital that tried it with a shotgun in the mouth. He blew his face off but survived. After much counseling the guy received reconstructive plastic surgery. Unfortunately the guy didn't learn from his first experience because he did the shotgun trick again and initially survived it again. This time they didn't bother with the counseling or surgery.

Being a LEO for many years you find out the hanging and self inflicted gun shot wounds are the most popular forms of doing one's self in. As stated in an earlier post people that announce their intentions are normally looking for attention and/or help. The people that are serious about suicide just go and do it.
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • sheepdog wrote:

My dads best friend was a state trooper. He told us this story.
      Omg, how creepy!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Years ago my zone partner and I responded to a residence because of a "unruly teen". We get to the home and are met at the doorway by Mom. Mom tells us a quick story about her spoiled kid and how's he's out of control. She says he's in the living room on the couch. We go I and he's sitting on the couch with a rifle under his chin. My partner starts speaking with him while I take a firing position from the kitchen. The kid was upset about normal teenage stuff. He pulled the trigger as we were talking to him. The rifle was a .22 so there was very little sound due to it being pressed against his chin. His head just jerked back a little and he slumped forward onto the floor. He died three days later.
      RIAP
    • there was a woman in georgia who killed her husband by putting antifreeze in his sweet iced tea. it worked so well she did the same thing 6 years later to her live in boy friend. she got caught that time. she was found guilty of both murders and sentenced to life.

while in prison she was given a daily blood pressure med that slowed down her heart. she stopped taking them when they were given to her and saved em until she had a months supply and took em all at once. that did the trick.
      2,000 miler
    • mental note wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

mental note wrote:

true dat, my pop took the train into the city for years, same thing, can't tell how many times we ate without him. Gotta be 10 or better.
      May have posted this previously but suicide by train is effective but decidingly cruel to train crews, responding folks, and passengers. Train engineers say it's not if but when they'll be an unwilling participant of a successful suicide. Additionally if the attemptee utilizes a vehicle, a strong possibility of derailment exists furthering the potential for crew/passenger fatalities and injury.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Trebor wrote:

Years ago my zone partner and I responded to a residence because of a "unruly teen". We get to the home and are met at the doorway by Mom. Mom tells us a quick story about her spoiled kid and how's he's out of control. She says he's in the living room on the couch. We go I and he's sitting on the couch with a rifle under his chin. My partner starts speaking with him while I take a firing position from the kitchen. The kid was upset about normal teenage stuff. He pulled the trigger as we were talking to him. The rifle was a .22 so there was very little sound due to it being pressed against his chin. His head just jerked back a little and he slumped forward onto the floor. He died three days later.
      At least the kid didn't try the 'suicide by cop' method.

'Spoiled kid' . Unfortunately many such kids exist our society.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • montana mac wrote:

Being a LEO for many years you find out the hanging and self inflicted gun shot wounds are the most popular forms of doing one's self in. As stated in an earlier post people that announce their intentions are normally looking for attention and/or help. The people that are serious about suicide just go and do it.
      Won't disagree. I've had more instances of a hose running from the exhaust into the vehicle. Usually there's evidence of a high BAC .

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I read a short story once that had a scene in it where a guy was going on and on about wanting to end it all. The guy who was listening grabbed him by the neck and started to choke him.

The suicide started to fight back and broke free of the guy's grasp. "What the *** did you go and do that for?"

"You wanted to go so bad, all you needed to do was relax!"

But - ain't nobody really wants to end it all. They just want it to stop hurting. If you can make it stop hurting (sometimes, that takes chemistry) they stick around.

That even goes for terminal patients. As long as they aren't in tremendous pain - and if we didn't have such an obsession with banning poppies, they wouldn't be - virtually everyone is willing to wait to let Nature take Her course. Some are perfectly willing not to delay Her, but practically nobody wants to rush Her if they don't hurt.

And believe me, I've heard the stories. My brother is a former EMT and my stepfather is a retired undertaker. I'd even sometimes hear them comparing notes after the one hauled someone into the hospital and the other hauled him out again.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.