Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Cabelas - Shakespeare Backpack Rod (FISHIN)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• WHO,

For my JMT hike I bought a Tenkara Rod. Check them out, a specialized Japanese fly rod designed for mountain streams. I had never been able to catch anything on a fly in my life, but I just killed it out there with this rod. I could not have been happier...

tenkarausa.com/shop/product_in…b2c3babe33a95e36664993e57

Scott
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

WHO,

For my JMT hike I bought a Tenkara Rod. Check them out, a specialized Japanese fly rod designed for mountain streams. I had never been able to catch anything on a fly in my life, but I just killed it out there with this rod. I could not have been happier...

tenkarausa.com/shop/product_in…b2c3babe33a95e36664993e57

Scott
      Yea I have something similar - Uh I was attempting to keep it easy and cheap - I like Fly fishing and it works on high mountain pools... but - I am mentioning clearance items for $20 or less.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Good video on cooking a fish, but he left out crushed garlic cloves and squeezed lemon juice.

Note the initial disclaimer on catch and release practice? Most times, if it's legal it's eaten.

Looks like a great rod not only for backpacking but also for vehicle transport.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • several years ago my wife bought me the Shakespear Travel Mate for Fathers Day. At first I thought it was a little gimmicky and cheap. I was wrong. Ive taken it on numerous backpacking trips, it has held up well, and provided dinner for me on more than one occasion.
      RIAP
    • I'm no fisherman. A lot of people recommended bringing fishing gear on the Northville-Placid, and just about all of them recommended one of those Shakespeare travel rods. Then they started to mention tackle to go with it, and rattled off long lists of words that I didn't understand. So I decided that hiking would be enough without trying to learn to fish at the same time.

I can recall one hike with Elf where he was mourning not having brought fishing gear - and mentioning that if we'd got Coach Lou in by that stream, it would take a crowbar to get him out again! The stream was just full of skittish little wild brookies.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Damn now I'm going to have figure out a way to turn my hiking pole into a fishing rod. Hey there might actually be a market for something like that. Don't none of y'all get any thoughts about stealing my idea. Triple purpose gear: hiking pole, tent pole and now fishing pole. The wheels in my brain are spinnin!!!!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Damn now I'm going to have figure out a way to turn my hiking pole into a fishing rod. Hey there might actually be a market for something like that. Don't none of y'all get any thoughts about stealing my idea. Triple purpose gear: hiking pole, tent pole and now fishing pole. The wheels in my brain are spinnin!!!!
      Might as well go for quadruple use, self defense against bears, or whatever you run up against.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Damn now I'm going to have figure out a way to turn my hiking pole into a fishing rod. Hey there might actually be a market for something like that. Don't none of y'all get any thoughts about stealing my idea. Triple purpose gear: hiking pole, tent pole and now fishing pole. The wheels in my brain are spinnin!!!!
      mines doubles as a blow gun and shoots wire nuts, with a screw stickin' outta the buesiness end.