Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Front Royal Trolley

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Front Royal Trolley

The great Trail Town of Front Royal has a trolley from the trail during peak hiker season (May 15 thru July 15). Two daily stops at the Trail Crossing on Remount Road/ Route 522, weekdays 9:50AM and 2:20PM and Sat. and Sun. at 2:20PM and 5:20PM. Cost 50 cents. I took it last week, they were very friendly and even waited a short time for a slacker who will remain nameless.
    • Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

The great Trail Town of Front Royal has a trolley from the trail during peak hiker season (May 15 thru July 15). Two daily stops at the Trail Crossing on Remount Road/ Route 522, weekdays 9:50AM and 2:20PM and Sat. and Sun. at 2:20PM and 5:20PM. Cost 50 cents. I took it last week, they were very friendly and even waited a short time for a slacker who will remain nameless.
      Define trolley.
      Are you talkin about a vehicle on train tracks with electromotive power, or maybe pulled by an animal?
      OK,OK, I answered my own question
      Images
      • town-trolley-300x225.jpg

26.34 kB, 300×225, viewed 360 times
    • from the picture looks like a glorified bus. costs the city $40,000 a year. apparently another agency supplies the trolley.

atlanta just put in a 3 mile streetcar that nobody uses. cost of the system $200 million. don't know about annual operating costs.

tucson recently put in a 4 mile streetcar that cost $400 million. they take in about a $1 million a year, and spend $4 million doing it.

both the atlanta and tucson systems run on tracks in the street.

apparently the little town of front royal is smarter than both atlanta and tucson.

our tax dollars at work. :(
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• Salt Lake City is the center point of a multi-county public transit system that most times offers reasonable usefulness for commuters. Comprised of light rail, bus, trolley, and train the system provides good north to south connectivity along the Wasatch Front. However if one wishes to utilize the system on holidays or a Sunday, schedules are severely curtailed partially due to the dominant culture influence.

A redeeming feature of the system is the ease of bicycle transport. Frequently bicycling acquaintances will ride a trail to a destination and utilize public transport for return.

When biking to Moab, the group rode the train with laden bikes for the first 50 miles thereby mostly avoiding heavily trafficked streets. Upon seeing a group of spandex attired bicyclists equipped with backpacks and panniers, several early AM commuters inquired as to our intentions. When informed of plans to ride onward to Moab, several suits (both genders) expressed wistfulness.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • odd man out wrote:

public transportation is a great thing, but it is only effective when you have a high population density. Only then is it convenient enough (close enough, frequent enough, affordabe enough) to replace private transportation.
      an additional aspect is the need for solo vehicle commuters to break the mindset of perceived independence a personal vehicle offers.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I hiked the 40 length of Pictured Rock NL last year. When researching shuttle options the NPS web site listed two options. There was an Alger County Bus that connected the east and west trailheads (15$ pp, three trips per day, must be reserved in advance) and a commercial hiker shuttle service. But when I went to the commercial shuttle web site, it said they had suspended their PRNL shuttle service due to unfair competition. They could not compete with the government subsidized service. At first I was sympathetic with their plight, but then I thought that the public system was doing exactly what public transportation was supposed to do. If you have flown to ATL and taken MARTA to get picked up by a shuttle to Springer, you too have used transportation subsidized by the good folks of Atlanta. Or maybe you used MARC to get to HF (thanks MD taxpayers!), or the MTA to the AT train station (thanks NY!). Communities benefit by subsidizing public transportation for everyone (I know the campground and microbrewery in Grand Maris benefited from my visit). I see now that the commercial service is again running PRNL shuttles. It is more expensive than the public system, but they focus on offering services the public bus can't offer (full service outfitter, custom trips, trip insurance, service to remote trailheads, etc...). They have removed the comments about unfair competition and litigation from their web site and now focus on the positive aspects of their business.

altranbus.com/backpack.html
      trailspotters.com/about/picturedrocks/rates-and-schedules/
    • Dan76 wrote:

odd man out wrote:

public transportation is a great thing, but it is only effective when you have a high population density. Only then is it convenient enough (close enough, frequent enough, affordabe enough) to replace private transportation.
      an additional aspect is the need for solo vehicle commuters to break the mindset of perceived independence a personal vehicle offers.
      On a trip to DC a few years ago we were checking out of the hotel near Thomas Circle on our way to DCA for our flight home. The man at the front desk said he would call a cab. I said "no thanks". We would just walk the 5 blocks to the Metro which goes right to the airport. He asked "Are you sure you are an American?". I said I was, but my friend I was traveling with was from Moldova.
    • On behalf of the Town of Front Royal, I welcome all Appalachian Trail hikers. Royal Trolley Service.pdf

I've attached our newest trolley brochure. It's a great ride for only 50 cents. And coming soon - we'll have a brew pub located right next to Mountain Trails (their second store - first is in Winchester) on our Main Street. In addition, the property owners are doing some really cool things for you hikers. You'll here more about that as it develops. And as always, let us know how we're doing. Are there other things you're looking for? Other things you need or would like? We need to know what concerns are so we can address them. And, as always, our welcome mat is out!
    • Felicia wrote:

On behalf of the Town of Front Royal, I welcome all Appalachian Trail hikers. Royal Trolley Service.pdf

I've attached our newest trolley brochure. It's a great ride for only 50 cents. And coming soon - we'll have a brew pub located right next to Mountain Trails (their second store - first is in Winchester) on our Main Street. In addition, the property owners are doing some really cool things for you hikers. You'll here more about that as it develops. And as always, let us know how we're doing. Are there other things you're looking for? Other things you need or would like? We need to know what concerns are so we can address them. And, as always, our welcome mat is out!
      Very nice!!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Felicia wrote:

On behalf of the Town of Front Royal, I welcome all Appalachian Trail hikers. Royal Trolley Service.pdf

Thankyouthankyouthankyou
      Front Royal is one of my absolute favorite towns, not only on the AT, but in the world.
      If you don't want to hike drive there, you will not regret it.
    • Front Royal was okay, at least in 2000 (everything a hiker needs, but nothing special). The first thing I spotted as I hitched into town was Enterprise car rental. So I rented a SUV, got all my chores done and spent the rest of the day shuttling hikers to/from the trail head. A guy in one group said "Chief you sure look funny in that Blazer". I said "Yeah, you're sure gonna look funny standing there as I drive away with everyone else". Just kidding, we were all friends. I love Enterprise, next morning they dropped me off at the trail head (quite a ways out of town).
    • Wish that service had been there when I was, I left the motel well before daylight and didn't bother trying to try catching a ride in the dark, was only 4 miles to the trail and I figured I could hike it in an hour rather than wasting 2 hours trying to catch a ride, did another 24 miles after hitting the trail....I was a tired puppy that night., the burgers at Sprelunkers were up there with the best I've ever had.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Wish that service had been there when I was, I left the motel well before daylight and didn't bother trying to try catching a ride in the dark, was only 4 miles to the trail and I figured I could hike it in an hour rather than wasting 2 hours trying to catch a ride, did another 24 miles after hitting the trail....I was a tired puppy that night., the burgers at Sprelunkers were up there with the best I've ever had.
      Amongst my friends, family, and acquaintances, the only folks whom would consider hiking 4 miles are fellow hikers and a few bicyclists.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC