Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Powdered Peanut butter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Powdered Peanut butter

Not sure if anyone else has seen this or if this is the correct thread to post this but since it is powdered ......

I tried this plain and thought it was pretty good. My plan is to mix it with some hot sauce to a make sauce to use over Ramen noodles in freezer bag cooking.

The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • From Cooking the one Burner Way
      :1/2 C peanut butter
      1 C water
      2 Tbs viniger
      3 tsp hot sesame oil
      1 1/2 tsp tamarie or soy sauce
      1 tsp onion flakes
      1/2 tsp crushed red peppers
      Boil water then dd ingredients & stir.

I made this on the Long trail served over spagetti & shared the leftovers with some others at the shelter. Everyone wanted wanted the recipie.
    • Honestly, I just do not understand the fascination with powdered peanut butter products. Peanuts and peanut butter is one of the most all around nutrient complete foods, and it make no sense to squeeze nearly all of those nutrients out... why?
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

Honestly, I just do not understand the fascination with powdered peanut butter products. Peanuts and peanut butter is one of the most all around nutrient complete foods, and it make no sense to squeeze nearly all of those nutrients out... why?
      weight?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

Honestly, I just do not understand the fascination with powdered peanut butter products. Peanuts and peanut butter is one of the most all around nutrient complete foods, and it make no sense to squeeze nearly all of those nutrients out... why?
      weight?
      Bollocks! And just plain silliness.

We're not talking of a food product with a significant moisture content, in which it makes sense to remove for both reduced weight and preservation. Powdered peanut butter instead is a product in which the very essence of PB's dense nutrient strength has been squeezed out and stripped away.

Real peanut butter is already a lightweight, fat and calories dense food. No sense in mucking that up.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Astro wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

weight?
      God decided that I was to be big and strong so I honor his decision by carrying regular ol' peanut butter in a plastic jar and regular ol
      jelly in a squeeze bottle. The last multi night I was on my pack had 7 days of food and total weight was 26#. I don't obsess over weight, I just don't carry a whole helluva lot of sheite that I have no use for. Food, I have a use for and I carry a lot of it and powdered peanut butter doesn't fit in :D
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • odd man out wrote:

where do you get a small jar of PB? I've looked for something smaller than the 16 oz jar for shorter hikes. Previously I used jif singles but found they leaked oil a bit. Just the other day I found Justin PB in 1 Oz foil pouches (50 cents each). Going to try these this month.
      Right here, put in the amount you want from the butt end and squeeze.

[IMG:http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/thumbnail.asp?file=/assets/images/coghpic7605a.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Folks there is a little dis-information going on here. We have had graduating nutritionists from college getting this wrong based on small scientific studies and forgot that sugar doesn't deliver energy - fat does... the very oil in PB, Olive, and Vegetable or any food grade oil is where the energy really is. Dried PB with no fat is no value. Remember lean not "no fat" Pemmican - beef jerky - cheese - are the way to go combined with dense breads.
    • not sure about that. Sugar does provide energy. Most cells use it as the preferred energy source. If your blood sugar drops too low, lots of things shut down. Fats provide more energy per gram. They are also more specialized providing very little other than energy. Powered pb has little sugar. It is rich in protein. Protein is not very effectively metabolized to produce energy.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

odd man out wrote:

where do you get a small jar of PB? I've looked for something smaller than the 16 oz jar for shorter hikes. Previously I used jif singles but found they leaked oil a bit. Just the other day I found Justin PB in 1 Oz foil pouches (50 cents each). Going to try these this month.
      Right here, put in the amount you want from the butt end and squeeze.
      [IMG:http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/thumbnail.asp?file=/assets/images/coghpic7605a.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0]
      i believe those squeeze tubes are a peanut butter blowout waiting to happen.

for a week hike i just take the entire 18 oz container. for a weekend i put the appropriate amount of peanut butter in a smaller container that has a screw on lid.
      2,000 miler
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Sugar is 4 calories per gram, it's what the body does with - it. fat goes to the muscles and sugar has to be converted by the pancreas, hense the short "sugar high"
      A non sedentary person can easily metabolize sugar. I don't believe doctors about what foods are healthy. They are always bought and paid for by food manufacturers.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • sorry but sugar is not converted by the pancreas. Insulin produced by the pancreas is needed so that cells can utilize glucose. But unless you have diabetes, that works fine. This applies to glucose. Other sugars are metabolized differently. fructose is metabolized by the liver

The calorie content for food is determined by bomb calorimetry so it is the total potential emergy. The amount of energy actually derived from food is a function of the efficiency by which it metabolized, which is probably comparable for glucose and fat. It's probably lower for protein, partly due to the energy consumed to make and excrete urea to get rid of waste nitrogen.
    • odd man out wrote:

A small jar of PB by my definition is the 16oz jar. Additionally as I rarely hike or snowshoe alone during winter conditions means the jar is close to empty upon completion. After washing, the plastic jars are good for dog food while on a trail.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • OK I get it ... where is my source. you ask... I am surrounded by obese friends and acquaintances. Too much sugar and salt is in every processed food...

SO delve into this... and feel free to open a separate window and just listen. And type here.

I am posting this as RASTY apparently appreciates TED talks... SO enjoy feeding your brain.... as owls enjoy doing.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

OK I get it ... where is my source. you ask... I am surrounded by obese friends and acquaintances. Too much sugar and salt is in every processed food...

SO delve into this... and feel free to open a separate window and just listen. And type here.

I am posting this as RASTY apparently appreciates TED talks... SO enjoy feeding your brain.... as owls enjoy doing.
      It's the sedentary lifestyle not the food.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Two more ideas/takes on this.

If you hunger for cookies, eating some one day a month wont hurt your diet. If you try to never stray from your diet, you will wind up splurging on soething bad for you and the guilt will overwhelm you and you will stop dieting. A day or two per month doesn't ruin a diet plan.

Another instance of craving: Sir Edmund Hillary, on his first trip up Mt. Everest, had a sudden craving for a can of pineapple. He was a 2 month walk from a city where he might find one. A 6 month walk from a city in India where he would find one. So, he continued up the mountain and made history rather than stop the expedition for one can of pineapple.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • show me a hiker who takes powdered peanut butter on the trail and i'll show you a hiker who makes dried toothpaste dots. :)

seriously, i'm not going to be quite as negative as some. i eat peanut butter as part of my lunch almost every day on backpacking trips. and i'm not going to change to the powdered stuff. it doesn't make sense to spend more money, go thru the time and effort to mix the stuff with water, all to end up with an inferior product.

however, the OP is using this stuff as a flavoring agent. i can see that. i can also see someone who makes smoothies as part of diet wanting to use this as instead of high caloric real peanut butter.

i don't see a whole lot of applications for the powdered stuff for hikers -- but then again it's not marketed to us anyway.

edit to add: i saw a big ole jar of the stuff in costco yesterday; obviously there is market for it.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Dan76 wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Hmm Tough Crowd,
      Don't neglect serving portions.
      We were in Italy for 9 days last month. The food was awesome. What struck me the most was the overall emphasis on quality over quntity, but at the same time they did not try to impress with exotic ingredients, presentations or preparations (foodies not welcome). After arriving home on the drive home from the airport we stopped for dinner. Despite trying to order a light meal we were served enough good to feed an army. I looked at my plate and said "Toto, I don't think we're in Venice anymore". My wife and decided that if we win the lottery we are opening a REAL Italian restaurant that will not cater to American tastes. Probably a bad business model, but as lottery winners, we won't care.
    • odd man out wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Hmm Tough Crowd,
      Don't neglect serving portions.
      We were in Italy for 9 days last month. The food was awesome. What struck me the most was the overall emphasis on quality over quntity, but at the same time they did not try to impress with exotic ingredients, presentations or preparations (foodies not welcome). After arriving home on the drive home from the airport we stopped for dinner. Despite trying to order a light meal we were served enough good to feed an army. I looked at my plate and said "Toto, I don't think we're in Venice anymore". My wife and decided that if we win the lottery we are opening a REAL Italian restaurant that will not cater to American tastes. Probably a bad business model, but as lottery winners, we won't care.
      last time I was in Venice, Wendy's had a line of American students while a mom and pop cafe around the corner was almost empty.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC