Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Job change

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• No more third shift. Boss decided to grow a set. It backfired on him.

Boss was basically a pacifist that tried to satisfy everyone under him and that doesn't work when 1/2 the crew is worthless and the other half covers their load. I looked after his crew on third shift and saw it all the time as I was the one that was there and got to hear all the complaints. The first shift guy had had enough so he went over the boss' head and complained about him not doing his job. Apparently he thought I was the one that did it because I got called into his office on a Tuesday to "correct my timesheet"....

I had covered 4 hours of second shift on tues-thurs and reported my time (Non-exempt salary so we got paid overtime) as 8-12-12-12-8 for a total of 52 hours. There is a "witness" present (red flag) and I get lectured for reporting my time on the wrong days. Short version is I reported the hours on the day I actually worked them and he wanted the hours on wed-fri instead. I can sense trouble when it's brewing so as I was leaving that morning I sent a text to the company in Charlotte that I've been doing consulting work for and gave them the go ahead to send me an offer sheet for full time work (which they've wanted me to do for some time now).

I get the offer sheet on Thursday and it's $15K/year more than I make now to work from home. I will have to make trips to Charlotte as necessary, normally Tuesdays for staff meetings, but they will pay for my travel. Sold. I'm gone.

So Friday I'm all prepared to resign and turn in my notice when I get called to his office again. We go over the exact same thing, with the same witness and when it's all over the boss pulls out a "Written Warning" for me to sign. Ding, Ding, Ding....red flag alert authenticated. I sign and turn to Gary, the witness, and ask him to sign and leave.

"Do you need a minute alone with Mike?"
      "you're very observant, I now know why he asked you to act as witness"

The door shut and I informed the boss that I had a new job and I would not be back. He was floored and didn't take it well. Even had the audacity to say "it didn't have anything to do with this, did it????", lol. I just told him I can tell when a f*****g is taking place and if there's going to be any f*****g going on I'm going to be the one doing the f*****g. finger.gif gif.013.gif finger.gif
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • The last time anything remotely similar happened to me, I got a call at the new job nine months later, offering me my former boss's job.

I'd moved on, and had good possibilities where I'd gone, so I politely told them, "no, but thanks for thinking of me."

Then the guy that they did hire - who turned out to be just as bad as the old boss - tried to hire me back into the job I'd left. It was so satisfying to be able to tell him, "Dave, before Hank hired you, he offered me your job. I turned it down. I don't think I'm all that interested in working for you."

Now, if anyone tries to pull that sort of trick with me, I know what my answer is going to be. "I accept your offer of early retirement." The folks I work for know it, and tread carefully, since they're not ready to do without me just yet. (I've seen numerous colleagues in the revolving door, because they keep getting called back out of retirement to fix something. They must be getting enough $$$ to make it worth their while.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • A couple of jobs ago my then boss left for better pay elsewhere. He even offered to stay if they made a token attempt to match the job offer he had gotten. A dollar more than he was making. They decided that was 'too much money' and said no. He leaves.

His former assistant, and his then current assistant, both apply for the job. We felt neither was qualified. The then current assistant got the job. I worked 12 hours at night. Suddenly we had to come in for meetings at 8 AM. So, now I'm losing sleep. About a month into this, I made a mistake. My former boss would have pointed it out and told me not to do it again. The former assistant wrote me up for insubordination. My former boss and I are ex-military. Neither of the assistants are. I was a bit startled by this write up. One of my relatives tried to explain it to me. I pointed out, I'm not in the military. And a mistake is not insubordination. Its a mistake. So I got wrote up again, a month later. Second one was for some nonsense, I couldn't figure out what it was for. They claimed insubordination. I politely pointed out this wasn't the military and the claim made no sense to me. But since I had made a mistake, I accepted that I had made a mistake. The new assistant got upset and demanded an apology. I suggested they look up insubordination in the dictionary as I wasn't mistaken. I was told I could be fired. I replied, go right ahead. McDonalds pays better. They went and complained to their boss about 'my attitude'. No idea what happened, but they didn't fire me.

Then the office got told everyone was being moved to Missouri. We had all been told that we wouldn't be moved after Katrina. The son bought the company from his dad, and didn't want to travel to the coast. So the office moved. We didn't have to go. The new assistant quit. I stayed and helped make the move electronically. The new boss, decided to not stay in tech support.

A few years later, my former boss is working in the same location I was. Different company. I stopped by to chat. He told me he had hoped I would take over, but being a manager or supervisor isn't what I feel comfortable doing. He asked me what happened, and I told him about the above. He asked me if I was upset, but I said no, just disappointed. He figured I wouldn't last with his assistant in charge. He said the new boss was correct, but should have worded it better.

My next employer, and my last before retirement, tried to talk me into staying. But I wanted to retire, and in some ways I'm glad I did. I could still use apart-time job though.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.