Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Quick Overnighter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Quick Overnighter

ok the opportunity has arisen for me to do an overnighter tomorrow. I need to stick within say 50 miles either side of Rockfish Gap. Should I hit High Top? Mary's Rock, Maupin Field shelter, Black rock, The Priest, Spy Rock???? Decisions decisions.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

ok the opportunity has arisen for me to do an overnighter tomorrow. I need to stick within say 50 miles either side of Rockfish Gap. Should I hit High Top? Mary's Rock, Maupin Field shelter, Black rock, The Priest, Spy Rock???? Decisions decisions.
      You should go to New Hampshire. KillMe
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • if this was my trip -- this was actually the first non-georgia backpacking hike i did after my thru -- i would park at the tye river and hike N on the AT to maupin field shelter and then return the next day via the mau-har trail. bring a towel and a change of clothes and dunk yourself in tye and drive home refreshed.

and if its on the way home, ming garden for supper.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Kathy and I will be getting a night in the tent tomorrow.
      Sunday during the day we'll attend the Jones Beach Air Show, then we'll go home and pick up our tent, and a few other things, and drive to a local county park that has a campground. Then on Monday we'll go for a walk in the park, about 5 miles around the lake. Then it will be home, a quick overnighter.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Home from the airshow where the Blue Angels had to be canceled because fog developed and covered the area. All the other performers got their routines done.
      Now it's time to get ready for the park.
      Bummer on the Blue Angels, but I am sure you have probably seen them multiple times before. Been over 30 years for me, but still remember it.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I really did hike before I went to Devil's Backbone. Hiked down to Maupin Field Shelter and around there. Saw about a dozen or more doing the Mau-Hat/ AT loop and oodles of people out for a walk and about 10 thru hikers. I'd say the bubble is spread out, but it's entering SNP.

Devil's Backbone is a huge place, Great heavy timber construction and of course fantastic beer. Only about 4 miles down the road on the east side of the mountain from Reed's gap. Definitely put it on your To Do List if you are in the area. Probably a very easy hitch too.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Astro wrote:

Bummer on the Blue Angels, but I am sure you have probably seen them multiple times before. Been over 30 years for me, but still remember it.

Now I feel old. The first time I saw the Angels, they were still flying Grumman Tigers (F11F). (I've also seen them with A-4 Skyhawk, F-4 Phantom and F/A-18 Hornet.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Astro wrote:

Now I feel old. The first time I saw the Angels, they were still flying Grumman Tigers (F11F). (I've also seen them with A-4 Skyhawk, F-4 Phantom and F/A-18 Hornet.)
      We are not old, just well seasoned. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • After Sunday's airshow, we came home and gathered up the things we'd need to spend a night in a campground at a local county park.
      We arrived at about 8 or 8:30PM and as we suspected the campground was near full. We did a drive through, found a couple of open sites and choose one.
      Once on our site it took just a few minutes to have our tarptent set up including pads and fleece blankets.
      Then we spent some time relaxing at our picnic table watching kids ride their bikes into the dark and adults disappearing into their campers.
      We finally climbed into our little tent, the smallest in the place, and I fell asleep immediately despite our neighbors bright exterior light and the sound of their generator (which really was quiet). I was amaze, you could set your watch by the start of quiet time (10PM) in the campground. Every generator went off and so did bright lights.
      In the middle of the night sometime the expected rain started and came down in buckets, so to speak. Our tent kept us perfectly dry through the night and into the morning when the rain stopped. WE climbed out, made the required trip to the bathrooms and then had a leisurely breakfast where I set my shirt on fire :huh:
      Then we packed up, moved our car out of the campground section of the park and started an uneventful, but enjoyable walk around the lake of about 5 miles.
      Lots of plants were in bloom including the Tulip Trees. I don't remember ever seeing the flower of Tulip trees before so that was kind of nice. As we walked we heard and saw frogs, a variety of birds, geese, swans with a couple of young and there were chipmunks galore. Of course our dog wanted to catch every chipmunk but they were lucky as we keep her leashed. We met a woman who asked us if we saw "the" turtle. I said that I knew there were turtles in the park but I didn't notice any today. She said no, "the" turtle. A little more conversation reveled that earlier she had seen a turtle about 18 inches across and she proceeded to show us photos. About 1/2 way around the lake we stopped at some picnic tables to eat our lunch and take a nap. Then it was time to finish our walk at a gentle pace and then head for home.
    • A close friend of mine when I was a kid grew up to become a Navy pilot and flew with the Blue Angels for a few years. I heard he was featured in the IMAX film about the Blue Angels although I haven't seen that. He has now moved on to become the commanding officer of the USS Harry Truman aircraft carrier.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• odd man out wrote:

A close friend of mine when I was a kid grew up to become a Navy pilot and flew with the Blue Angels for a few years. I heard he was featured in the IMAX film about the Blue Angels although I haven't seen that. He has now moved on to become the commanding officer of the USSR Harry Truman aircraft carrier.
      U.S.S. Harry Truamn ? USSR would be SovUnion.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

odd man out wrote:

A close friend of mine when I was a kid grew up to become a Navy pilot and flew with the Blue Angels for a few years. I heard he was featured in the IMAX film about the Blue Angels although I haven't seen that. He has now moved on to become the commanding officer of the USSR Harry Truman aircraft carrier.
      U.S.S. Harry Truman ? USSR would be SovUnion.
      I corrected that for ya.
    • JimBlue wrote:

odd man out wrote:

U.S.S. Harry Truamn ? USSR would be SovUnion.
      darned autocorrect