Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

AT Section Info

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AT Section Info

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I have a question about a specific section of the trail, the stretch between Swift Run Gap and Thornton Gap in Virginia. I was wondering if someone could tell me as much as possible about that section. I am not new to backpacking, but it has been a while since my last outing so if I had to put myself in a category, I would say I am somewhere between beginner and intermediate at this point. I am mostly concerned with the level of difficulty and elevation changes more than points of interest; the technical aspects of the section I suppose. I have never been on the actual AT trail before so I need to know how much I need to train. Any info would be a great help. Thanks!
    • this is the ATC guidebook and maps for the SNP. the maps include an elevation profile:

atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=44&compid=1

i thru hiked the AT, and don't remember the SNP as being particularly difficult, but to be honest by the time i got there i was in really good hiking shape. there are few people here who have sectioned thru the park who would be a better source of info than me re relative difficulty.

as you probably know, the section from swift run gap to thornton gap is a 35 mile section of trail. during this section you will have the opportunity to get restaurant meals a couple times; i did not do that so i'll let someone else chime in. the ATC has some information about this here:

appalachiantrail.org/docs/defa…ff000057c13a.pdf?sfvrsn=0

swift run gap is at 2,400 ft elevation and thorton gap 2,300 elevation but there are definitely some climbs involved between the ends. looking at the topo map (this section is map 10 in the book listed above) if you hike N from swift run gap you will immediately face an 800 ft climb over the first couple of miles. after hiking downhill for a couple miles, you will then have another 800 ft climb over a couple miles. doesn't get any easier if you start at thornton gap and hike S. you will immediately start a 1,200 ft climb over a couple miles. don't let that discourage you; it looks like no matter which end you start at that first day will be your toughest.

i hope this helps a bit. if you have any specific questions let us know.
      2,000 miler
    • I did a 668 mile section last summer from Glasgow, VA to Pawling, NY. I fondly remember SNP overall as being the easiest part I did. I loved the Waysides (hamburgers and blackberry shakes). :thumbup:

Also some good views, especially when you cross Skyline Drive. :)

It should make for a great hike an introduction to the AT.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I was hoping that this section would be a challenge and that I would probably need to train for it. Probably the main reason I chose this spot is because I have family in the area that can get me to and from the trail as I don't live anywhere near Virginia. :)

Any advice on the best time of year to hike this section? When is it the least crowded with hikers?
    • i was in the SNP in early july and remember how hot it was. but the heat made the ice cream sundae i got at the thornton gap wayside extra good.

i started my thru late, so i'm GUESSING june would be peak thru hiker season.

edit to add: just googled to see if i could find any data to support my guess, and i found this on the NPS SNP web page:

nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_at_trips.htm

"All of these Appalachian Trail Trips should be planned for mid-July through mid-May (not in or near June) due to "thru-hiker season". The only exception is for those hiking the entire AT starting from Springer Mountain in Georgia, since June is when you are likely to arrive. Secondly, you should know that the AT crosses Skyline Drive many times; this is not a wilderness trail in Shenandoah National Park. Third, with one very short exception, the AT in SNP does not go near any streams, creeks or rivers; it is primarily a dry mountaintop hike which crosses the road frequently."
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch, so where do thru-hikers get water while crossing this section? I looked at the map and your right, there is not much water near the trail. It being 35 miles, I am sure that most thru-hikers would need to stop at least once if not twice, depending on their skill level, to camp. Are they carrying that much water with them or is there some place to get it?

I did not realize that the trail was so dry and crossed Skyline drive that many times. I haven't had a chance to really get down to studying the map that close yet. Actually in the process of doing that now and trying to plan the trip out there. I had wanted to get there some time in the fall that way it's cooler and I have several months to train myself.

What is the recommendation for acquiring water then along this section of the trail?
    • there are springs at each shelter and water available at the campgrounds and waysides. In addition there is a trail angel who usually keeps one of those big orange construction water coolers at Beagle Gap for the hikers
      .you should get the trail guide from the ATC or AWOL. also check out the SNP on the national park web site.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • the paragraph in quotes with the correct punctuation :) are from the NPS, which i included as it gave the dates of the thru hiker season.

i don't recall water being an issue, so i just reviwed the Companion -- one of the books recommended by jimmyjam above -- and the longest stretch between marked water sources on your section is 7 miles (twice). you can easily handle this with by carrying two quart or liter water bottles.
      2,000 miler
    • Ok, cool. For a moment there I thought I was going to have to re-think the trip, lol. I will get the trail guide that jimmyjam is recommending, sounds like it will have the info I need.

I am looking forward to this trip and am anxious to get my training started tomorrow. The rain here has been hindering a lot of what I am trying to accomplish, but I may just suck it up and get wet!
    • The AT has sections which climb a thousand feet in one mile. Once you are used to those climbs, SNP is relatively easy. I struggled with SNP because 14 mile days were at the limit of my endurance, and I carried too much weight. Now I hike faster, usually at least 2 MPH, carrying less weight, and I have even done a 26 mile day.

Water is fairly abundant in SNP. I generally treat mine with Aquamira. Sometimes I filter or boil it. There was one water source in SNP which required some patience, since it ran so slow. I like raspberry lemonade Crystal Light. I usually drink it cold, but I have also drunk it hot, adding twice the usual amount to boiled water.

Sometimes it is good to put a leaf in flowing water to more easily direct water into a bottle without stirring up sediment.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Tdub wrote:

Great suggestions, I like WanderingStovie's idea about the leaf in the water, really cool.

What is the general consensus concerning Aquamira? I hear good things about it, but it is a chemical. Is it safe?
      Aquamira is Chlorine Dioxide which is what most municipal water treatment facilities use. It is as safe as any city water even if the chlorine flavor is a little more pronounced.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Tdub wrote:

Do you prefer the tablets or the drops? I Think tablets take like 4 hours and the drops 30 minutes if I read correctly. Any significant advantage from one to the other
      90 minutes is pretty significant for me. :D
      I used to the old iodine tablets, but switched to aqua mira drops and a sawyer mini-filter last summer. Probably used the filter a little more, but was happy with both.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I'll be doing the section from Compton Gap to Big Meadows three weeks from today. I think most of the thru hikers will be north of there by then. I'm not too worried about the rest. They are mostly harmless and run away when they see a section hiker. Just hang your food at night and you will be fine. I've been to SNP a few times. I did the backpacking trip up to Old Rag almost 40 years ago. Otherwise I was just day hiking.
    • This works well for shallow water and water that has trash in it, the lid has a hole bored through it with a faucet filter screen under the cap, scoop the water with hand over hole then let the water filter through the screen, the bottle flattens out well for shallow water.
      Images
      • 2012_12140001.JPG

120.46 kB, 800×600, viewed 307 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.