Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Section Hike in September

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My first day is always around 10 miles, day 2 is around 16 miles, then I average around 19 miles. Doing a consistent 20 from day one is challenging. I usually try to end my hikes with a 10 mile day. In 9 days I generally go 120 miles with this kind of pace.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • i'm assuming you are a new hiker? i agree with the others that 20 miles a day, every day, is too aggressive for most hikers.

if you are doing this hike in september, you have time to do a few weekend hikes and see what kind of daily mileage is realistic for you.

just for something to think about, it is 70 miles from springer to dicks creek gap. there is a hostel 1/2 mile there down the road. once you get there, evaluate your options. your week may be up. or perhaps you get there on day 5, so you hike an extra day - say to the ga/nc state line - and then backtrack the next day. or you pay the hostel to shuttle you up the trail and you hike back. if the initial 70 miles from springer to dicks creek sounds short to you, then start at amicalola state park and add another 8 miles to your hike.

there are plenty of options. springer to deep gap is 85 miles; winding stair gap 110 miles.

my first backpacking trip was in the gsmnp. i drove to the park, and went to the visitor center where a ranger and i put together a 5 day, 70 mile or so loop hike. that was just about perfect for this 24 year old newbie.
      2,000 miler
    • one more thot (assuming you are still comfortable with a 140 mile hike), unless a helicopter is picking you up :) you won't be done hiking at sassafras shelter as its in the middle of the woods. if you make it that far you should consider continuing on an additional mile and camp on top of cheoah bald rather than sleeping in a box. of course you'll still have more miles to go to get to a trailhead. alternatively, stop 7 miles short of sassafras and end at the nantahala outdoor center -- its a great place to start/end a hike. and keep in mind the hike N out of the noc will be the toughest of your trip.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i'm assuming you are a new hiker? i agree with the others that 20 miles a day, every day, is too aggressive for most hikers.

if you are doing this hike in september, you have time to do a few weekend hikes and see what kind of daily mileage is realistic for you.

just for something to think about, it is 70 miles from springer to dicks creek gap. there is a hostel 1/2 mile there down the road. once you get there, evaluate your options. your week may be up. or perhaps you get there on day 5, so you hike an extra day - say to the ga/nc state line - and then backtrack the next day. or you pay the hostel to shuttle you up the trail and you hike back. if the initial 70 miles from springer to dicks creek sounds short to you, then start at amicalola state park and add another 8 miles to your hike.

there are plenty of options. springer to deep gap is 85 miles; winding stair gap 110 miles.

my first backpacking trip was in the gsmnp. i drove to the park, and went to the visitor center where a ranger and i put together a 5 day, 70 mile or so loop hike. that was just about perfect for this 24 year old newbie.
      Wow, wish I had started hiking the AT at 24 instead of 49. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i'm assuming you are a new hiker? i agree with the others that 20 miles a day, every day, is too aggressive for most hikers.

I wish I'd started at 49 instead of 63.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I guess live is always a matter of perspective. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I started at 19. Took a little intermission until I was 55. :D
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference