Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Springer Mountain to Clingman's Dome

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Springer Mountain to Clingman's Dome

Hi all! I have hiked through various National Forests in several states across the country, but I've never done any of the Appalachian Trail except for some day hiking in the Smokies.

I have two weeks starting on Memorial Day, and I really want to make it from Springer Mountain to Clingman's Dome in 12-13 days. I realize that keeping the pack weight low is going to be crucial for making this a successful hike. As such, I would like to resupply as often as possible but without jeopardizing my timeline. I'm fine with mail drops, buying along the way, or a combination of the two as long as I don't have to try and find a ride into town or hike several miles off trail to get to a resupply point--unless it's absolutely necessary. With all of this in mind, what would be your hiking plan for campsites and resupply points? I know that I can resupply easily at Neel's Gap and NOC. I would prefer to carry only 3 to 4 days worth of food at a maximum but I'm willing and probably able to do more if the timeline will get messed up.
    • springer to clingmans is 200 miles, which at 12.5 days works out to 16 miles per day. every day, no zero days, and even on resupply/laundry/shower days. thats doable, but too aggressive for many. having said that, i'll work with your numbers.

you want to carry 3-4 days of food, which works out to approx 45 to 60 miles between resupply. this is what i would do.

resupply at neels gap (30 miles), top of georgia hostel at dicks creek gap (40 miles), winding stair gap to franklin (40 miles), nantahala outdoor center (27 miles), mail a box to fontana lodge near fontana dam (28 miles), finish at clingmans (35 miles).

thats what i would do. one alternative you may prefer is to bypass franklin (easy to get to, but still 12 miles off the trail) is to continue on to wayah gap (6 miles) and pay for a shuttle to the aquone hostel. i've never been, but you can mail yourself a box or resupply there (i'd check with them re inventory.) of course you can also hump it from top of georgia hostel to the noc which at 67 miles is not too much out of your preferred range.

no suggestions re campsites, you can camp anywhere in this section before the gsmnp.

you do not meet the definition of a gsmnp thru hiker, so you are required to reserve each shelter in the park by date. thats going to be hard to do. while i believe in following the rules, in your situation i would apply for the thru hiker permit and say you going to allen gap if anyone should ask.
      2,000 miler
    • for what its worth, in the above post i listed "what i would do" -- that was based on your parameters. if i was going to do this hike, i would go into hiawassee and spend the nite (rather than top of georgia hostel), i would "probably" go into franklin and spend the nite although i would research the aquone hostel as an alternative as i've never been there (they have private rooms), and i would spend the nite at the noc (unless i happened to get there really early in the day) and have a leisurely breakfast and hike the next day to the top of cheoah bald where i would camp.
      2,000 miler
    • Rasty wrote:

The only thing I'd change is at Fontana go ahead and buy from the store. It's hours are better then the post office next door. The supply between the store and the gas station will easily get you to Clingman's.
      i'm gonna change my mind and agree with rasty about resupplying from the store rather than sending a box to the lodge (or the post office). years ago the store had a problem with periodically running of inventory -- including the time i was there -- but that problem now appears to have been corrected and is not an issue. if running out of food was a crime i couldn't file charges as it would be outside the statue of limitations. :)
      2,000 miler
    • if you don't own a thru hiker guide to the AT yet, you should get a copy of the "companion" published by the ATC or the "AT guide" commonly referred to as "AWOL". you will find it useful in planning your hike. i use the companion as the proceeds flow back to the trail.
      2,000 miler
    • One more question...how the heck do I make it from Fontana Dam to Clingman's Dome? All of the shelters up to Derrick Knob are closed, and Derrick Knob is ~23 miles up the trail which may be a bit of a stretch, depending on difficulty. Am I going to have to take Eagle Creek Trail?
    • uatuba wrote:

One more question...how the heck do I make it from Fontana Dam to Clingman's Dome? All of the shelters up to Derrick Knob are closed, and Derrick Knob is ~23 miles up the trail which may be a bit of a stretch, depending on difficulty. Am I going to have to take Eagle Creek Trail?
      Campsite 113 might work. The reservation system is showing it as open.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • max.patch wrote:

fontana to mollies ridge is 10 miles, mollies ridge to derrick knob is 12 miles, derricks knob to clingmans is 10 miles. easy peasy.
      I guess if I had an extra day that would work very well. Unfortunately, I need to cover that span in two days, which means I really need to stop at Russell Field or Spence Field. If I stop at Mollie's Ridge, I have to hike ~23 miles or make an additional stop. Neither are good prospects.
    • uatuba wrote:

max.patch wrote:

fontana to mollies ridge is 10 miles, mollies ridge to derrick knob is 12 miles, derricks knob to clingmans is 10 miles. easy peasy.
      I guess if I had an extra day that would work very well. Unfortunately, I need to cover that span in two days, which means I really need to stop at Russell Field or Spence Field. If I stop at Mollie's Ridge, I have to hike ~23 miles or make an additional stop. Neither are good prospects.
      this is just one example -- among many -- why i say that the worst 75 mile section of the AT to hike is the 75 miles thru the GSMNP.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

uatuba wrote:

max.patch wrote:

this is just one example -- among many -- why i say that the worst 75 mile section of the AT to hike is the 75 miles thru the GSMNP.
      It is why I did not hike GSMNP until I had hiked hundreds of miles of the AT and done a 26 mile day in Maryland.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • uatuba wrote:

max.patch wrote:

spence field reopened today.

knoxnews.com/news/park-reopens…00007fd94e-382012941.html
      2,000 miler
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I wonder how his/her hike went? I wish people would come back and let us know. Even if it's, 'It sucked and I'm never hiking again'.
      i agree. i remember talking with the married couple around the first of the year that were complete newbies (her description) and wanted to do their first hike in may starting at springer and going for 5-7 days. i don't think we heard back from them either.
      2,000 miler
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I wonder how his/her hike went? I wish people would come back and let us know. Even if it's, 'It sucked and I'm never hiking again'.
      Yes and no.

I subscribe to several bicycle forums and frequently read similar appeals for advice. Most often those posters are not heard from again leaving responders to their information requests wondering as to outcome.

However when a poster such as TwistWrist comes along and chronicles a journey in epic style all others are forgotten.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC