Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Wild Edibles

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Wild Edibles

One wild edible I try to make a meal of at least once every spring is Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata). This is an invasive species that is outcompeting our native plants so I consider it my civic duty to eat as much as I can. May is a good time to pick some greens from the Garlic Mustard before the plant goes to seed and gets increasingly bitter. This is what it looks like...

Usually I just boil or steam the leaves like you would spinach, but today I decided to sauté some in a pan with a bit of butter. To tell the truth I had the heat on too high and some of the leaves crisped up a bit, but this turned oot to be a happy accident. I liked it that way! It added an interesting texture.

If you try Garlic Mustard I would recommend a small portion to start. The plant has a mild peppery bitter taste to it that is agreeable, but it just lasts and lasts on the tongue. I had mine over an our ago and my mouth still tastes a little peppery.

This stuff grows everywhere, it should be easy to find along the trail in disturbed areas. On the trail I could see adding a few leaves in a Knorr rice dish or something like that to add a little interest to the meal.

What wild edibles to you like?

And Bon appetit
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • SandyofPA wrote:

Plantian leaves when I am craving greens. Raw if they are small, boiled if large. Ate them every day in the Smokys last year, they grow at every shelter. Also chew on wood sorrel, has a nice lemon flavor, grows at higher elevations around the evergreen trees.
      Sandy, You have inspired me to try some plantains. Here is my review...

Since they were both growing together in my yard, I decided to do a side-by-side comparison of Plantain and Dandelion greens. I picked fresh young greens and gave them a quick light boil in a little bit of water. A dash of salt was added.

Dandelion Greens: Even newly grown I find dandelion greens to be quite bitter. I know some people love them, but this is why dandelions have never been my go-to green. Next time I might try a water change and a second boil to remove the bitterness.

Plantains: Less flavor than the dandelion greens, but with hardly any bitterness. (I had nice young greens). I can see why you like these Sandy. To me the remarkable thing about the plantain greens was the texture. It reminded me of seaweed. I don't think I would want to eat this in bulk, but a few chopped leaves mixed in to a rice or mashed potato dish would be a great addition. In fact now I have an idea. Blanched plantain leaves could be a substitute for 'Nori' seaweed. Could I make some trail 'Maki' Sushi? I don't know, but it might be worth a try sometime.

Wood Sorrel: I don't have any growing around me, but I often chew on a stem or two when hiking in the Whites. Love that lemony freshness! Only consume Wood Sorrel in moderation. It contains Oxalic Acid which is mildly toxic and can cause kidney problems.

Scott

John Greenleaf Whittier

The post was edited 2 times, last by IMScotty ().

• Blueberries, huckleberries, blackberries, raspberries, black cherries, fruit from abandoned orchards.

Black walnuts, butternuts, hickory nuts.

Stinging nettle - once in a while if I'm craving green stuff, otherwise it's kind of 'meh' in my opinion.

Grape leaves, ditto.

Ramps - socially unacceptable! :)

Fish, of course, if someone's fishing. I seldom fish, myself. I've hiked in places that have made me think about taking it up. (They were trips that made me glad that Coach Lou wasn't along, because I'd never have got him away from the water.)

Ostrich fern fiddleheads - but I need to have seen the ferns on the site the previous season because several other species are toxic and it's hard to tell when they're first coming up. I have a weakness for fiddleheads.

Hunting and gathering is too time consuming to combine with hiking, most of the time.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • I don't know of a good fiddlehead site near me, so I buy mine. I look forward to them every year. I have not seen any yet in my SuperMarket this year and I am getting worried.

I need my fiddlehead fix!

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I haven't tried it but you can eat Stinging Nettle. Grows all over the trail here in VA especially south of Waynesboro.
      Dutch cheese makers use stinging nettle in their herb cheeses for a wondrous flavor.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • IMScotty wrote:

One wild edible I try to make a meal of at least once every spring is Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata). This is an invasive species that is outcompeting our native plants so I consider it my civic duty to eat as much as I can. May is a good time to pick some greens from the Garlic Mustard before the plant goes to seed and gets increasingly bitter. This is what it looks like...

Usually I just boil or steam the leaves like you would spinach, but today I decided to sauté some in a pan with a bit of butter. To tell the truth I had the heat on too high and some of the leaves crisped up a bit, but this turned oot to be a happy accident. I liked it that way! It added an interesting texture.

If you try Garlic Mustard I would recommend a small portion to start. The plant has a mild peppery bitter taste to it that is agreeable, but it just lasts and lasts on the tongue. I had mine over an our ago and my mouth still tastes a little peppery.

This stuff grows everywhere, it should be easy to find along the trail in disturbed areas. On the trail I could see adding a few leaves in a Knorr rice dish or something like that to add a little interest to the meal.

What wild edibles to you like?

And Bon appetit
      Blueberries, that's about it. Would love to try the Garlic Mustard and some ramps but like TJ, I'm not good with plant ID.

TrafficJam wrote:

I want to try ramps but I'm not good with plant ID.
    • I need to get a book on identifying mushrooms, we have them all over the yard every fall, they look like mushrooms we get in the store but I wouldn't a toad stool from a toad frog....and it would be rerally bad if I ate some of those things I had at the Muddy Waters concert when I was young.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

I need to get a book on identifying mushrooms, we have them all over the yard every fall, they look like mushrooms we get in the store but I wouldn't a toad stool from a toad frog....and it would be rerally bad if I ate some of those things I had at the Muddy Waters concert when I was young.
      Those were the good days, I think, from what I remember of the '70s. " I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...."
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I have been treating my yard like a salad bar this week, lots of things to eat. I finally got around to trying something I have been meaning to do for some time... Candied Violets. Candied flowers were popular during the Victorian era. Martha Washington had a recipe for candied violets in her cooking scrapbook.

First you need some blooming violets...

Pick some fresh flowers with their stems still on, wash and dry.

Then you coat each side of the flowers with egg whites and dip in superfine sugar.

Then you cut off the stems and lay the sugar coated violets on some wax paper to dry. I have not cut off the stems yet in the photo below. They take 24 - 48 hours to dry. Half way through the drying process, flip them over to dry both sides.

The results...

And the taste.... Well, it tastes like a sugar bomb with a flower in the middle :) Not something I would want to eat everyday, but you have to admit they sure look pretty. The Victorians would use these as decorations on cakes too.

Bon appétit

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • In addition to Violet's, Rose petals have been used to make throat lozenges, I forget which notable figure in history who patented them, perhaps some history buffs here can chime in. Enjoyed reading all this Scotty.

PS what kid wouldn't like a sugar bomb violet petal and a pat on the back to reduce a sore throat. An old remedy was to have a kid wet there finger in tea and stick it in a sugar bowl then suck on it whenever they got hurt...genius!
    • Nothing says Spring in New England like the arrival of Fiddlehead season! I do not have a good source of fiddleheads near me, so these are store bought. You have to be quick when the fiddleheads go on sale because the season only lasts for about a week.

If you pick wild fiddleheads please be sure of your identification. Another Kevin gave good advice, you really need to see the ferns the year before to be sure you have the Ostrich Fern.

I like to just roast mine in the oven with a bit of olive oil and sea salt...

The only way I am going to get my New York bride to eat a fiddlehead is if I hide them in a quiche, so I cranked out two of these...

Finally, since I was cooking these old time New England favorites I cooked up a little stewed Rhubarb for dessert.

Whenever you try any new food, especially wild ones, you should start with a very small portion to make sure you do not have any adverse reactions.

Bon appetite!

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Nothing says Spring in New England like the arrival of Fiddlehead season! I do not have a good source of fiddleheads near me, so these are store bought. You have to be quick when the fiddleheads go on sale because the season only lasts for about a week.

If you pick wild fiddleheads please be sure of your identification. Another Kevin gave good advice, you really need to see the ferns the year before to be sure you have the Ostrich Fern.

The only way I am going to get my New York bride to eat a fiddlehead is if I hide them in a quiche, so I cranked out two of these...

Finally, since I was cooking these old time New England favorites I cooked up a little stewed Rhubarb for dessert.

Whenever you try any new food, especially wild ones, you should start with a very small portion to make sure you do not have any adverse reactions.

Bon appetite!
      or have TW's perp serve as a test subject.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Trillium wrote:

The stewed rhubarb looks very good. Would you care to share your recipe?
      Hello Trillium,

Stewed Rhubard is the easiest thing in the world. I just chop it up into about 3/4 inch chunks. Add a bit of water and sugar and boil until soft. I have never used precise measurements. If I chop up say 2 cups of rhubarb, I might add just 2/3 cup of water. If you add too much water you can always boil it off. The sugar is a little tougher, you do not want too much. I might add 2 tablespoons of sugar to two cups of Rhubarb.

Rhubarb (in my opinion) was meant to be a sour treat. My daughter complained I made this batch too sweet. I always just taste it to decide when enough sugar s enough. If it is two sweet, I just add another stalk of rhubarb.

You can also use orange juice instead of water for a different sort of taste. Use less sugar if you do this. You can also add in a few chopped walnuts if you want a little crunch in the texture.

I like it warm, I like it cold. Sometimes I use it as a condiment on some vanilla ice-cream.

My grandmother always made this for me when I was little, so this dish means more to me than just the taste. When I was growing up all the old-timers kept some rhubarb growing in their garden.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

i haven't had rhubarb pie (or mincemeat) since my grandmother passed away. i loved that pie.
      Food can evoke such strong personal emotions, can't it. Certain dishes take me back in time to commune once again with those I have loved and miss so much. I have tried to pass these dishes and these memories on to my children, but with limited success.

All they know is that for some reason when they surprised me one year by getting up early on Christmas morning to make my grandmother' Irish Soda Bread, I unaccountably became misty eyed and unable to speak.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Bon appetite!
      USDA says that fiddleheads need to be blanched with at least one change of water because even ostrich ferns have allergenic properties sometimes. Roasting them without blanching has sickened people.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

USDA says that fiddleheads need to be blanched with at least one change of water because even ostrich ferns have allergenic properties sometimes. Roasting them without blanching has sickened people.
      Hi Kevin, I noticed in my supermarket that they now have a sign warning people to do just that. Clearly some people have had problems. Honestly, the ones I roast, I just roast. No problems for me. The ones for the quiche I do boil first, more to make them more tender than anything else. I think it would be smart for people to follow the regulations, but I am not that smart and I do a lot of things the USDA would not approve of :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Hi Kevin, I noticed in my supermarket that they now have a sign warning people to do just that. Clearly some people have had problems. Honestly, the ones I roast, I just roast. No problems for me. The ones for the quiche I do boil first, more to make them more tender than anything else. I think it would be smart for people to follow the regulations, but I am not that smart and I do a lot of things the USDA would not approve of :)
      I tried them once.........I had the most painful farts ever!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Me to. :whistling:
    • Bodyman wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Me to. :whistling:
      Sometimes there is a reason they are still "wild",. And not domesticated and sold in stores. ;(
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General