Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Bear Food

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

Just saw it. I bet he was sleeping with his food. ;)

You know...I don't think they found the bear that attacked that kid in his hammock.
      If I remember correctly they found a bear that they thought was responsible for the attack and killed it. A DNA checked proved it was the wrong one. The rangers returned to the area, found another bear and killed it too. Luckily they got the right one.. Too bad this has to happen.
      They need to open a hunting season to thin the population and hopefully re-teach the bears to be fearful of humans.
      RIAP
    • mental note wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

The Smokies and Adirondacks have been the only places I've hung my food
      GSMNP, SNP, and Blood Mountain Wilderness are places with known problem bears humans.
      Joisey too, and up until last year I'd have said "but they're just punk bears that'll mug ya for your pack" but now they're eatin' people! Da bears.
      Glad I finished that state already. I had a bear encounter there, which I described in another post.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Rasty wrote:

I hang food in (most of) the Catskills, too. There are folks in hippy places like Hunter, Tannersville and Woodstock who feed bears, including one old lady in Hunter who hasn't been deterred by getting multiple tickets for putting bear food out in her back yard. Places like the extreme upper reaches of the Neversink, I might break the law and sleep with food, because neither the habituated bears nor the rangers ever seem to bushwhack up that way.

In Eastern High Peaks in the Adirondacks, the law says you need to use a canister. And it can't be a BearVault. They thought that problem was over when a hunter got Yellow-Yellow, but it seems that Yellow-Yellow taught her cubs to open BearVaults. If I ever decide to make a serious start on the 46, I think a Bearikade might be in my future. Darn, they're expensive, though.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I hang food in (most of) the Catskills, too. There are folks in hippy places like Hunter, Tannersville and Woodstock who feed bears, including one old lady in Hunter who hasn't been deterred by getting multiple tickets for putting bear food out in her back yard. Places like the extreme upper reaches of the Neversink, I might break the law and sleep with food, because neither the habituated bears nor the rangers ever seem to bushwhack up that way.
      In Eastern High Peaks in the Adirondacks, the law says you need to use a canister. And it can't be a BearVault. They thought that problem was over when a hunter got Yellow-Yellow, but it seems that Yellow-Yellow taught her cubs to open BearVaults. If I ever decide to make a serious start on the 46, I think a Bearikade might be in my future. Darn, they're expensive, though.
      If you visit the Adk High Peak Information Center they have examples on display of what a bear can do to the BearVault. They adamantly recommend you not to use them. They have one thats ripped up pretty bad. Yellow-Yellow the Bear was known for her ability to open them. She was also a town backpack thief as seen in this video.

I use the Garcia Bear Container. Its cumbersome and heavy but makes for a great camp chair!
      RIAP

The post was edited 1 time, last by A.T.Lt ().

• A.T.Lt wrote:

If you visit the Adk High Peak Information Center they have examples on display of what a bear can do to the BearVault. They adamantly recommend you not to use them. They have one thats ripped up pretty bad. Yellow-Yellow the Bear was known for her ability to open them. She was also a town backpack thief as seen in this video.
      (snip)
      I use the Garcia Bear Container. Its cumbersome and heavy but makes for a great camp chair!

I had to chase a raccoon in Harriman once when the little thief was dragging my (empty) backpack away. Poor thing must have been desperate. Temperature was about -3F at the time, so it took me a few moments to get out of my bag and give chase.

The Garcia is all that I've ever used, because I've not been where they're required very much, and it's all that the outfitter in Lake Placid rents. I think the small opening bugs me nearly as much as the weight. With a Bearikade, the whole end comes off.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Places like the extreme upper reaches of the Neversink, I might break the law and sleep with food, because neither the habituated bears nor the rangers ever seem to bushwhack up that way.

And because your delinguent hiking partner suggests it? :thumbup:

Just hang out at Amicolola for a few days and you can pick up one for free on the side of the approach trail. :D
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Found out today, he wasn't sleeping with his food, but he was sleeping with coconut scented sunscreen. That's some strong smelling stuff. The bear bit the man through his tent. Imagine how scary THAT would be! Guy is said to be ok, walked away, but of course, quite shaken.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Even the deer in SNP are not afraid of people,

TrafficJam wrote:

Do you think bears are attracted to Bourbon?
      I would love to see a drunk bear, I've seen drunk dogs and it was hilarious, but not for the dog the next day I'm sure, bears would probably react like men when intoxicated, some become fighters and some become lovers....just don't let them have tequila....that stuff make folks mean.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • My wife keeps petering me over the years to "did you put your sun screen on"...well I've prolly ruined at least 5 of my favorite summer shirts with sun screen, I think I'd just rather die. Cause let's face it, if you've had as many sun burns as a kid as I have, yur beat.
    • Drybones wrote:

Even the deer in SNP are not afraid of people,

TrafficJam wrote:

I would love to see a drunk bear, I've seen drunk dogs and it was hilarious, but not for the dog the next day I'm sure, bears would probably react like men when intoxicated, some become fighters and some become lovers....just don't let them have tequila....that stuff make folks mean.
      the drunk bears sing all night and they are horrible at it. They are short tempered and don't take constructive criticism.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

the drunk bears sing all night and they are horrible at it. They are short tempered and don't take constructive criticism.
      If you ever sit around a campfire with me and a bottle and hear me strike up "Friends in low Places" you'd wish it was the bears singing...and that's likely to happen this week end, about 15 of us have an overnight float trip planned for the Etowah River.
    • Drybones wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

If you ever sit around a campfire with me and a bottle and hear me strike up "Friends in low Places" you'd wish it was the bears singing...and that's likely to happen this week end, about 15 of us have an overnight float trip planned for the Etowah River.
      hey so I just heard the other day Garth is coming back around, me and the wife whatch him and his wife cook food on one of the cookin' channels.
    • Drybones wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I guess I was wrong, I just don't belong, but then....
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

Drybones wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I guess I was wrong, I just don't belong, but then....
      .....just wait till I finish this glass, then sweet little lady I'll head back to the bar, and you can..........
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

ta kill ya always made me mellow, gin on the other hand would have me robbin' a bank on the way to rob a bank.
    • My first encounter with that deer was when I had dropped off on a side trail to get water. I spotted it and stopped to take a picture. Once the deer spotted me it didn't run off. Instead it walked up to me and sniffed my legs. I went and got my water then back tracked about 1/2 mile on the AT to a camp spot I had found. Was setting up the tent when the deer arrived and hung around. Finally I had to chase it off cause it kept trying to walk over the tent.
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.