Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Glacial Drumlin State Trail, Wisconsin

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Glacial Drumlin State Trail, Wisconsin

I spent seven days yo-yoing the Glacial Drumlin State Trail in Wisconsin between Madison and Delafield Wisconsin. The Glacial Drumlin trail starts in Cottage Grove, but some maps show it starting in Madison. The portion between Madison and Cottage Grove is an unmarked road ride. I took another trail along Cushing Park Road between the Glacial Drumlin and Lake Country trails to reach Delafield. I took the Lake Country trail east to Naga Waukee Park, which reopens for camping on May 23. The gravel roads in the campground are being paved with asphalt. As far as I know, no camp sites are being added. The campground often fills to capacity on weekends. I rode a Coach USA bus between Delafield and Milwaukee for $4, leaving my bicycle at the Naga Waukee Park and Ride.

I rode a mountain bike until I was butt-hurt, and hiked until my feet felt worse than my butt, switching every mile or two. Not having springs in the seat or a full-suspension bike hurt, especially since I used a backpack instead of panniers or a trailer.

The annual resident trail pass is $25. One night of camping (for residents) is $16 at Sandhill Station, south of Lake Mills. There are plenty of gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants along the way for food and drink, although it is nice to carry something to eat since food is not available 24 hours a day. There are a few campgrounds along the way, but none directly on the Glacial Drumlin trail. There are some nice flat wooden benches along the trail. One bridge is wide enough to park bicycles on without obstructing traffic, and has a bench on each side. There are gaps between the boards, and a few boards missing, so you could easily lose something small dropped there. The trail passes through many wetlands. Mosquito repellant and some netting over your eyes, nose, and mouth would help. The clouds of gnats were worse than the mosquitoes this early in the year.

The west end of the trail is in Cottage Grove, with picnic tables, water, bathrooms, and parking. The bathrooms were locked. Firemen's Park (a short road ride west) has a covered picnic area with bathrooms. The park opens at 7AM, according to the sign. I was a few minutes early.

The trail passes through Deerfield. There is a park with a bike rack and covered picnic area along the trail. A limited selection of food is available just south of the trail at a gas station. The library and post office are west of the gas station.

There is a covered picnic area, bike rack, water, and 24-hour bathrooms with showers on the trail in Lake Mills. Sandhill Station State Campground is 1.2 miles south of the trail. The library is 1.2 miles north of the trail. The post office is a short walk out the library's back entrance. The library and Sentry food store are on opposite sides of Commons Park, with bathrooms and picnic tables. Lake Mills has two 24-hour coin laundries. One is almost on the trail, and the other is about a mile north.

The library in Jefferson is 2.2 miles south of the trail.

The trail passes through Sullivan, with water, picnic table, bench, and bike rack on the trail. The bathrooms were locked. I bought food at a gas station 0.1 miles north of the trail.

The trail passes through Dousman, with a bicycle shop, park, and laundry near the trail.

The 15 miles of trail between Dousman and Waukesha is paved with asphalt. The rest of the trail is mostly finely crushed rock. A short section is mostly dirt. Near Jefferson, there is a road ride around Valero Renewables, which apparently still uses a section of track not converted to a rail trail.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

I spent seven days yo-yoing the Glacial Drumlin State Trail in Wisconsin between Madison and Delafield Wisconsin. The Glacial Drumlin trail starts in Cottage Grove, but some maps show it starting in Madison. The portion between Madison and Cottage Grove is an unmarked road ride. I took another trail along Cushing Park Road between the Glacial Drumlin and Lake Country trails to reach Delafield. I took the Lake Country trail east to Naga Waukee Park, which reopens for camping on May 23. The gravel roads in the campground are being paved with asphalt. As far as I know, no camp sites are being added. The campground often fills to capacity on weekends. I rode a Coach USA bus between Delafield and Milwaukee for $4, leaving my bicycle at the Naga Waukee Park and Ride.

I rode a mountain bike until I was butt-hurt, and hiked until my feet felt worse than my butt, switching every mile or two. Not having springs in the seat or a full-suspension bike hurt, especially since I used a backpack instead of panniers or a trailer.

The annual resident trail pass is $25. One night of camping (for residents) is $16 at Sandhill Station, south of Lake Mills. There are plenty of gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants along the way for food and drink, although it is nice to carry something to eat since food is not available 24 hours a day. There are a few campgrounds along the way, but none directly on the Glacial Drumlin trail. There are some nice flat wooden benches along the trail. One bridge is wide enough to park bicycles on without obstructing traffic, and has a bench on each side. There are gaps between the boards, and a few boards missing, so you could easily lose something small dropped there. The trail passes through many wetlands. Mosquito repellant and some netting over your eyes, nose, and mouth would help. The clouds of gnats were worse than the mosquitoes this early in the year.

The west end of the trail is in Cottage Grove, with picnic tables, water, bathrooms, and parking. The bathrooms were locked. Firemen's Park (a short road ride west) has a covered picnic area with bathrooms. The park opens at 7AM, according to the sign. I was a few minutes early.

The trail passes through Deerfield. There is a park with a bike rack and covered picnic area along the trail. A limited selection of food is available just south of the trail at a gas station. The library and post office are west of the gas station.

There is a covered picnic area, bike rack, water, and 24-hour bathrooms with showers on the trail in Lake Mills. Sandhill Station State Campground is 1.2 miles south of the trail. The library is 1.2 miles north of the trail. The post office is a short walk out the library's back entrance. The library and Sentry food store are on opposite sides of Commons Park, with bathrooms and picnic tables. Lake Mills has two 24-hour coin laundries. One is almost on the trail, and the other is about a mile north.

The library in Jefferson is 2.2 miles south of the trail.

The trail passes through Sullivan, with water, picnic table, bench, and bike rack on the trail. The bathrooms were locked. I bought food at a gas station 0.1 miles north of the trail.

The trail passes through Dousman, with a bicycle shop, park, and laundry near the trail.

The 15 miles of trail between Dousman and Waukesha is paved with asphalt. The rest of the trail is mostly finely crushed rock. A short section is mostly dirt. Near Jefferson, there is a road ride around Valero Renewables, which apparently still uses a section of track not converted to a rail trail.
      Sounds like another nice trail that I'll never get to see :(
    • I'm thinking about a repeat. I bought a bug-net to go over my helmet and face, and a gel padded seat cover.

I used my 8x10 Etowah Gear tarp in two thunderstorms. The wind whipped the tarp fiercely. I lowered my sail to the deck and waited in the head during the first storm. In the second storm, I laid my bicycle on its side with the wheels holding down one side of the tarp, and pulled on the ridgeline with both hands until the wind calmed down.

I cowboy camped on the rainless nights.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I would love to see someone cycling with a full pack. It sounds painful. Did you have problems with stability?
      That is how I did the Great Allegheny Passage, as well.

On the Glacial Drumlin trail, my pack is not fully loaded, because I carry only enough food to wait out the opening hours of the next store. Once I get going, stability is not a problem. I like to loosen the shoulder straps and let the pack hang back farther than I would if I was hiking. That is because I lean forward farther on a bicycle than on foot.

My hands felt somewhat bruised, but I managed by using a variety of grips. Sometimes I just hold the tips of three fingers to each side of the handlebars. I may buy some gel padded gloves.
    • I paid $18 at the Lake Farm campground in Madison. I set my tent up at 5:30 AM Saturday, slept most of the morning, went to Goodwill and Walmart, ate pulled pork on tortillas, and slept through 30°F Sunday morning. I was surprised by how many campers were enduring freezing temperatures. I think the campground was roughly 80% full.

Quiet hours are 10 PM - 5 AM, during which setting up camp is prohibited, but if you can find an open site, you can setup camp at 5 AM and leave 34 hours later at 3PM. That counts as one day of camping according to the posted rules.

The campground has free compressed air. Now that my tires are fully inflated, I can ride faster.

The post was edited 1 time, last by WanderingStovie ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

I would love to see someone cycling with a full pack. It sounds painful. Did you have problems with stability?
      The heaviest pack I've biked with was 35#...that I actually weighed. I loosened the straps to have the pack slide down as far as possible to the point a portion of the pack was below the seat. I found a need to tighten the waist belt and sternum to ensure the pack did not shift.

My riding buddies are experienced tourers and several have biked across the US. They all have either panniers or pull a one wheel trailer designed for bikes. I'm the only rider using a mountain bike as their bikes are dedicated touring designs, therefore cannot use panniers.

I've not had a stability issue while riding, just have to be careful when dismounting.

I've noticed I have less headwind issues than riders using panniers as they have a huge frontal area.
      Last summer we rode to Moab from Salt Lake City (250 miles or 400+ km) with our camping gear. As I had the mt bike, I loaned to folks wishing to ride the trails.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I rode 44 miles yesterday, half after sunset. I found out the campground I was hoping to use was closed for the season. I backtracked on the Bugline, Ice Age, and Lake Country Recreation trails. It would be nice to see the Bugline again in daylight.
    • There was a fire hydrant being flushed this morning near the trail. Water sprayed onto the trail and flooded the trail, with no easy way around (thick brush and a fallen tree). So I picked up speed and slammed on the brakes just as I passed the spray and entered the flood waters. A nylon jacket kept my fleece dry, but my shoes and socks became damp.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

There was a fire hydrant being flushed this morning near the trail. Water sprayed onto the trail and flooded the trail, with no easy way around (thick brush and a fallen tree). So I picked up speed and slammed on the brakes just as I passed the spray and entered the flood waters. A nylon jacket kept my fleece dry, but my shoes and socks became damp.
      Sorry to hear that. Hopefully sun comes out to help quickly dry.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

There was a fire hydrant being flushed this morning near the trail. Water sprayed onto the trail and flooded the trail, with no easy way around (thick brush and a fallen tree). So I picked up speed and slammed on the brakes just as I passed the spray and entered the flood waters. A nylon jacket kept my fleece dry, but my shoes and socks became damp.
      Sorry to hear that. Hopefully sun comes out to help quickly dry.
      Thanks - I dried out quickly.