Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sour Dough Starter for bread Machines.... Ask a Chef!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Sour Dough Starter for bread Machines.... Ask a Chef!

OK We have the Breadtopia Sourdough starter and fed the darn thing for a week and got a surprise.... we have created a 1/2 cup starter that is very good and very sour.

Now the surprise... its going to take another week to get more volume, as the machine calls for 1/4 teaspoon of dry yeast in most breads... Sourdough calls for 1 and a 1/4 cups starter. So we are very short. Wheat bread calls for a 1/4 cup starter in the book.... what gives? I am out of ideas here... Deanna is doing her best to beef it up to the new volume we now need....
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

OK We have the Breadtopia Sourdough starter and fed the darn thing for a week and got a surprise.... we have created a 1/2 cup starter that is very good and very sour.

Now the surprise... its going to take another week to get more volume, as the machine calls for 1/4 teaspoon of dry yeast in most breads... Sourdough calls for 1 and a 1/4 cups starter. So we are very short. Wheat bread calls for a 1/4 cup starter in the book.... what gives? I am out of ideas here... Deanna is doing her best to beef it up to the new volume we now need....
      I'm not an expert and don't know what you're doing wrong. From day one, I've had a large volume and have to discard quite a bit every time I bake. I now have three starters because I hate throwing it away.

Anyway, I follow the instructions from King Arthur Flour.

Up to 12 hours before using, stir the starter, discard one cup (sometimes this is more or less depending on how much is in the container) and feed the remaining with 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup water. (My starter was too thick for my liking so now use a little bit more water). Let it sit for 4-12 hrs. It will expand! Be prepared and don't leave the house for five hours with the lid on! :)
      I don't close the containers anymore during this time.

Use however much starter your recipe calls for. Feed the remaining starter with another 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup water and let sit for 2-4 hrs then cover and refrigerate. I usually have about 2 cups of starter at this point because it grows while its sitting at room temp.

If you're not using it, feed the starter once a week by following all the steps except using the starter in your recipe.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Foresight wrote:

oh yeah, and make sure you use "cream of mushroom soup" somewhere in your question. Yep yep.
      that's that stuff you make with mushrooms and cream. I like to roast my mushrooms at about 550° with olive oil and thyme first. A little roux, some mushroom stock, milk, cream and finish it with butter. Yum.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • mental note wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Foresight wrote:

oh yeah, and make sure you use "cream of mushroom soup" somewhere in your question. Yep yep.
      that's that stuff you make with mushrooms and cream. I like to roast my mushrooms at about 550° with olive oil and thyme first. A little roux, some mushroom stock, milk, cream and finish it with butter. Yum.
      So then dump cakes are out too I guess. turd.gif
      Are those the things you see scattered around the shelters in GSMNP?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Rasty wrote:

Foresight wrote:

My fantastic wife Deanna - discovered a melted butter - lemon rind and lemon squeeze for fresh mushrooms... oh sea salt. And terigon.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: