Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Booze

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

I like bourbon. A little goes a long way so it's the UL choice. :)
      I'd love to carry a beer or two but how good is it after getting warm and shaken up in your pack?
      Never had a beer explode on me. When I get to camp, the first order of business after picking a spot is to put the beer in the stream or spring. By the time I set up camp and cook dinner, the beer is good and cold.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I carried bourbon once, because it's easy to find in pints and I hadn't thought to procure a flask. I don't even remember what it was. Wild Turkey I think. Anyway, it was a last minute grab because I had a couple cigars for the trip and booze goes well with a good cigar. If I ever decide to get a flask, I'll be carrying the REAL whisky, Scotch. Lagavulin specifically.

Edit: IF I take anything, that is.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee

The post was edited 1 time, last by Grinder ().

• I thought about this, chilled stream water - run thru a sawyer squeeze - 1 jigger of Rum or Vodka, 2 jiggers of water now add the secret ingredient - 1 ounce from a powdered drink mix - or even better a squirt of Mio or Lipton Peach Tea -

I may have posted this before... but it is very UL- a Mini Scope travel bottle comes with a perfect Jigger cap. hey that's the bartender in me....Sorry Rasty can't come up with ice on the trail.

[IMG:https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/82/d5/38/82d5382306ffc0973c1042c2258a0ace.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Remind me to never hike with either one of y'all... :)
      Cof124
      says the guy who didn't finish the beer I gif.014.gif brought
      Well if it's like the foo foo fruity liquor you drink I can't blame him! :P
      It was some kind of Mexican beer. It was all I could find that day.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Drybones wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Many of us here like to have the occasional adult beverage. What's your favorite trail booze?
      This is my favorite but can't afford it often, when I do take it I have someone guard it at all times.
      last time I went through Tennessee, I picked up a case of WR and gave all of it as Christmas gifts. Despite the dominant culture existing within UT, the bottles were well received. One of the blind hikers I regularly hike with hefted the package and immediately guessed the contents.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I have some great moonshine over the years. One was from a recipe five generations old. They should call it lead feet. It was very mellow gong down & resulting buzz. But when I stood up my feeet refused to move while my body stayed in motion. I was able to re-appraise the situation from a ground level point of view. I decided it was a good place & time for a nap!
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Ice. Not a problem...
      Uh yea it down stream, MM its important to me that I do not suggest drinking in situations where people drink alcohol and get hypothermia, So winter in the woods is clearly not a good idea for most of us. just sharing... I attempt to figure out from my years at WB that what ever I post will piss on some toothy gator and those lessons to me still apply, no matter where the blog's name is. I left WB for the most part as I have two political strikes. One was mentioning an idiot on the five. I don't want a third. I don't have the time or place to answer the same 79 questions that appear over and over again on WB. At some point we accept that we are all well versed in hiking as a group... we are still here to learn from each other and then there is a revelation... its more about camaraderie and friendship. I have not always taken the right path... But I choose a better direction.
    • I hope that as I hang out here that I am not upsetting the group. I bring a different set of family values and I understand I know I am outspoken and I will not tolerate mis-information. I attempt to put forward humor and fun, I just want to be a positive force to add to the group knowledge.

Thanks.
      Woo
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

I hope that as I hang out here that I am not upsetting the group. I bring a different set of family values and I understand I know I am outspoken and I will not tolerate mis-information. I attempt to put forward humor and fun, I just want to be a positive force to add to the group knowledge.

Thanks.
      Woo

Me too. But I can be grouchy.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

I hope that as I hang out here that I am not upsetting the group. I bring a different set of family values and I understand I know I am outspoken and I will not tolerate mis-information. I attempt to put forward humor and fun, I just want to be a positive force to add to the group knowledge.

Thanks.
      Woo
      Me too. But I can be grouchy.
      I am not allowed to be grouchy - My family values prevent me from appearing on Sesame Street. My wife requires an up beat post or blogging.. Due to huge regulations and Screen Actors Guild - I cannot appear as an owl in a trash can. All due respect - I am required to step it up. I hope you can appreciate this.
    • I used to bring a flask with single malt Scotch - I'm partial to whiskies from the Islands (not just Islay, but Jura, Oban, Orkney, ...).

But I found that more often than not, the flask would still be unopened when I got to town. I just don't get the urge to drink when I'm Out There.

So, like anything else in my backpack that I discover I don't use, it now stays home.

I oughtn't to mention (but will anyway) the Tang-and-Everclear screwdrivers that occasionally appeared on the trail during my college days. That's surely the lightest weight option, since you're carrying essentially no water weight, but who wants to sleep in a shelter that someone's puked in? That seems to have been the usual outcome of an evening that included college kids and Tang-and-Everclear screwdrivers.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

I used to bring a flask with single malt Scotch - I'm partial to whiskies from the Islands (not just Islay, but Jura, Oban, Orkney, ...).

But I found that more often than not, the flask would still be unopened when I got to town. I just don't get the urge to drink when I'm Out There.

So, like anything else in my backpack that I discover I don't use, it now stays home.

I oughtn't to mention (but will anyway) the Tang-and-Everclear screwdrivers that occasionally appeared on the trail during my college days. That's surely the lightest weight option, since you're carrying essentially no water weight, but who wants to sleep in a shelter that someone's puked in? That seems to have been the usual outcome of an evening that included college kids and Tang-and-Everclear screwdrivers.
      Uh - I am willing to hike the bottles... provided you show up in PA and have a good set of stories for around the campfire. Strange how we think alike... same thing happened a few years back.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I'd love to carry a beer or two but how good is it after getting warm and shaken up in your pack?
      considering every country I've traveled within transports bottled/canned beer via unrefrigerated motor transport, don't think a few miles within a backpack matters. Just let it settle prior to opening.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

considering every country I've traveled within transports bottled/canned beer via unrefrigerated motor transport, don't think a few miles within a backpack matters. Just let it settle prior to opening.
      Huge difference ... 1 beer cannot get someone drunk,,,, someday getting drunk will be socially unacceptable and sipping bourbon will be the norm.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Huge difference ... 1 beer cannot get someone drunk,,,, someday getting drunk will be socially unacceptable and sipping bourbon will be the norm.
      depending upon body build, recent food intake, hydration level, medications taken, and of course the amount and alcohol percentage by volume, one beer can indeed tip one over the legal BA limit.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Last evening the dinner host brought out Crown Royal Apple. I sipped a small sample but was overwhelmed with the sweetness.

I did have a thought to include a splash into the next apple strudel i bake, but given the expense most likely I'll stick to a bottled hard cider.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Last evening the dinner host brought out Crown Royal Apple. I sipped a small sample but was overwhelmed with the sweetness.

I did have a thought to include a splash into the next apple strudel i bake, but given the expense most likely I'll stick to a bottled hard cider.
      A friend had a few bottles of Jim Beam Apple at the hammock hang a while back, I tried it but I like the natural taste better, he had to drink it all by himself, he thought he had food poisoning and was sick most of the next week.....go figure.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Dan76 wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

depending upon body build, recent food intake, hydration level, medications taken, and of course the amount and alcohol percentage by volume, one beer can indeed tip one over the legal BA limit.
      I ran into this problem last night in the safety of my home. After a rough day I wanted a couple of beers and fortunately a friend of mine had left a couple microbrews in my fridge. I had two of them and was fairly sloshed. When I checked the bottles it turns out that each was 10.5%ABV!
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I ran into this problem last night in the safety of my home. After a rough day I wanted a couple of beers and fortunately a friend of mine had left a couple microbrews in my fridge. I had two of them and was fairly sloshed. When I checked the bottles it turns out that each was 10.5%ABV!
      yes, you'll have that from time to time! :thumbsup: