Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Booze

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I like bourbon. A little goes a long way so it's the UL choice. :)
      I'd love to carry a beer or two but how good is it after getting warm and shaken up in your pack?
      considering every country I've traveled within transports bottled/canned beer via unrefrigerated motor transport, don't think a few miles within a backpack matters. Just let it settle prior to opening.
      Huge difference ... 1 beer cannot get someone drunk,,,, someday getting drunk will be socially unacceptable and sipping bourbon will be the norm.
      depending upon body build, recent food intake, hydration level, medications taken, and of course the amount and alcohol percentage by volume, one beer can indeed tip one over the legal BA limit.
      I ran into this problem last night in the safety of my home. After a rough day I wanted a couple of beers and fortunately a friend of mine had left a couple microbrews in my fridge. I had two of them and was fairly sloshed. When I checked the bottles it turns out that each was 10.5%ABV!
      years ago I went to a presentation by Larry Bell of Bells Brewery. This was before the explosion of microbreweries. Bells was one of the only ones in the eastern US. He brought some cases of beer to try. He had some Third Coast Beer (4.8%) and Third Coast Old Ale (10.4%). Due to the similarity in names and labels, I had a couple of old ales, looked more carefully at the label and said "oh crap"
    • but the high alcohol content of microbrews is a pet peeve of mine. It's driven by consumers who think "more is better". If you look at beer ratings by beer enthusiast publications, they have nothing to do with quality. It's clear that beers with more alcohol, more hops (IBU), more color (SRM) or more odd ingredients get better ratings. Consumers are rewarding lazy brewing. I've consulted with many experts and they will all tell you that making a good beer with fewer ingredients is much harder.
    • odd man out wrote:

but the high alcohol content of microbrews is a pet peeve of mine. It's driven by consumers who think "more is better". If you look at beer ratings by beer enthusiast publications, they have nothing to do with quality. It's clear that beers with more alcohol, more hops (IBU), more color (SRM) or more odd ingredients get better ratings. Consumers are rewarding lazy brewing. I've consulted with many experts and they will all tell you that making a good beer with fewer ingredients is much harder.
      Less ingredients are more profitable at the expense of the consumer. The big companies always hire the best experts to expertly name inferior beer. The big beer companies are getting pounded by these full ingredient beers.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

but the high alcohol content of microbrews is a pet peeve of mine. It's driven by consumers who think "more is better". If you look at beer ratings by beer enthusiast publications, they have nothing to do with quality. It's clear that beers with more alcohol, more hops (IBU), more color (SRM) or more odd ingredients get better ratings. Consumers are rewarding lazy brewing. I've consulted with many experts and they will all tell you that making a good beer with fewer ingredients is much harder.
      Less ingredients are more profitable at the expense of the consumer. The big companies always hire the best experts to expertly name inferior beer. The big beer companies are getting pounded by these full ingredient beers.
      ya mean the famous beach wood aged Bud will sell before its time!
    • Rasty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I disagree that "small" beers are necessarily inferior. Yes if you make a light American lager with rice you get crap Bud. But a Guiness Daught has fewer calories and less alcohol than a Bud, but is a great beer.
    • odd man out wrote:

Rasty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I disagree that "small" beers are necessarily inferior. Yes if you make a light American lager with rice you get crap Bud. But a Guiness Daught has fewer calories and less alcohol than a Bud, but is a great beer.
      Guinness is an outlier in the big beer equation. Through shear Irish stubbornness they have refused to sell out for the most part.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • jimmyjam wrote:

gonna have me an ice cold PBR with a redneck burger in a little bit. For those that don't know what a redneck burger is, it's a big fat burger topped with chili, cheese, mustard and cole slaw. Darn good.
      How can it be 'redneck' without onion?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

gonna have me an ice cold PBR with a redneck burger in a little bit. For those that don't know what a redneck burger is, it's a big fat burger topped with chili, cheese, mustard and cole slaw. Darn good.
      you know it might onions on it. Let you know in a little while.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

A true redneck burger uses every part of the opossum. gif.014.gif
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

A true redneck burger uses every part of the opossum. gif.014.gif
      you know we leave the o off down here in Dixie. I have eaten possum. Squirrel too.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Dan76 wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

it's got red onions on it. Here's a shot of the water front place that makes em. If you are ever on the Outer Banks its worth the trip.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

no socks here.
      No problem.
      did you think they were white?
      we all did!

HaHa good laugh out of that Max. I do wear white sox (or grey) with my sneakers. Funny you know if you wore white socks at my high school they called you a "white socks sissy". And my high school was nicknamed "Redneck Tech" cause kids would drag race on the highway in front of the school during lunch. Man those were crazy days.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

How can it be a burger without onion?
      The burgers we had in Texas had bun, meat, onion, lettuce, tomato, 2 slices of pickle, and mustard.

None of that other stuff. Like curly fries. Those go next to the burger, not on it.

I paid 25 cents back then for a half pound burger. Delicious !
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.